Girmember
9 posts

Posted:
I can't decide what I want to learn next. I know the basic forward and backward swings. Butterfly, and recently got the weave. I just can't decide what to learn next, I think I'll go for the corkscrew because I'd like to learn a quad windmill, does that sound about right?

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom doom doom doom doom do-doom doom DOOM..doom doom do-doom doom doom doom

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
That, or some of the butterfly variations (low wave, mexican wave etc.). Weave type moves do feel better and tend to be easier to learn, though.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Girmember
9 posts

Posted:
True...I suppose I should also learn some turns..maybe even tucks

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom doom doom doom doom do-doom doom DOOM..doom doom do-doom doom doom doom

master sodiummember
536 posts

Posted:
I say definitely learn turns, take the time now and learn how to put all the simple moves you have now into body movement. too many people just stand there. DONT DO THAT!!! it is very unpleasing to the eye. I stood there for sooooo long, and let me tell you, it is so hard to learn how to move well after you learn alot of moves (for me anyway), it was almost like having to relearn the moves.

so for the love of god, learn to move around.

best of luck on your poi related endeavors

sodium

you can't have a war against terrorism because war IS terrorism.it's not about worshipping fire. its about making the fire want to worship you.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
word to the turning thing.

I'd say you should next learn the reverse weave and the transition from fwd weave -> rev weave and back again. learning a move like this up front will ensure your style remains full of movement as you learn other stuff.

ALso, make sure you can do any given move in both directions before learning something new! it really becomes stagnant if you can only do moves in one direction.

good luck!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Most of my poi was learnt from this site for the basics, then Naked Flame for the gaps in my method - since I practiced by myself, I just stood there and never really got the hang of turns, it musta been my B.O.! Paddy and masterna are sooo right, to everything, turn, turn, turn!
Always remember though that fir turning, every 180 degrees you turn, you change your fwd/bkwd direction! so learn those reverse variations!
And Always remember never to undersestimate the power of the reverse side, or suffer your father's fate will you! yay 9 days 'till star wars!! woot!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always