Forums > Social Chat > Glowstick: more than just an alternative

Login/Join to Participate

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
I'v been spinning for about 8 months now and been posting on this site for about 7. To make it clear I spin glowsticks and only glowsticks...not fire. What im trying to get at is that notion that fire is better that anything else just because its fire is getting out of hand. Saying things like glowsticks can't be used gracefully, or that all people who use glowsticks are silly ravers, is anoying and agrivating. Its a huge steriotype to say that all glowspinners are unexperienced newbies who don't know at all what they are doing.It seems lately, it is impossible to get any respect as a spinner unless you spin fire. One person went as far as saying you shouldnt be able to say you can do a move unless its done with fire. Lastly its anoying how at every chance possible preconcieved notions are made about glowsticks and the people who spin them. I am not a "silly raver". It seems as if many people here dont consider glowsticks comparable in any artistic aspect compaired to fire. Well to voice my opinion, i think it is on exactly the same level as fire. Glowsticks are its closest cousin...no like its brother. why divide ourself on what is creating the light.well i sure that just about everyone disagrees with me, but i still believe that glowsticks are more than just the alternative...------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
i agree in a lot of ways...i don't spin glowsticks precisely because they are mocked so much... particularly in the party scene here. if i spin publicly, i spin fire.but... in a lot of ways i'd prefer to spin glos. they last indefinitely... you can build with the music and take a more meditative approach to the art. and, i do think they are beautifull though in a different way...what i think it boils down to is a primal reaction to the perceived danger of fire... thats the rush for people watching... but what's funny is that its just not all that dangerous... i come home from every spin with little burns and lost body hair from wraps and smaks... but to severely burn yourself... you'd have to screw up pretty damn bad... so i guess in that respect i agree with you too... a lot of fire people think they are badasses for doing something that is simply not all that badass... i think the average skateboarder or breakdancer places themself in far more dangerous situations.

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
You tell 'em emptyset.I'm an experienced fire twirler, and I certainly enjoy the medium... But there are some days when the colors that glow sticks can provide just seem prettier.... And then there's the added freedom to experiment without fear of injury. The ability to teach others without concern over legal issues... And so on and so forth... I wouldn't really worry so much about **what** people are spinning. What will always bring out my respect, whether they're spinning an atomic bomb or banana on a string, is **how well they dance.**

Hapes-Novamember
60 posts

Posted:
i also only spin glowsticks myself, i have been for about as long as you have. 8 months or so. I think i've also noticed what you are pointing out. i highly enjoy glowsticks and i really have no desire at all to spin fire. and it seems some (not all) of the fire spinners on this site seem to look down upon glowsticks, or look at those who spin only glowsticks as inexperienced."One person went as far as saying you shouldnt be able to say you can do a move unless its done with fire." did someone actually say that? thats very surprising and perhaps a little insulting. thats like saying spinning glowsticks isnt even nearly on the same level as fire or isnt anything like fire at all. if you can do the move with glowsticks, if you can do the move with 2 yoyo's or whatever, you can do the move. what difference does it make if its with fire or not. i dont think fire should be looked at as the highest form of twirling, while glowsticks is placed beneath that. fire is fire. good for the fire-twirlers. glowsticks is glowsticks. good for the glowstickers.i appreciate this site alot because of the immense amount of knowledge and ideas it has to offer to twirling, staff, or whatever, and alot of it has helped me progress, and yes, i realize this is a fire-twirling site, but those who really enjoy fire shouldnt have to look so negatively on glowsticks. and its not everyone who thinks this way, and i'm not trying to insult the site or anything, just try be a little more open-minded to those who dont see fire as all that appealing.try not to look at this post as being mean or disrespecting to those who love fire, even though it probably sounds like it iswhateverHapes-Nova, a "silly raver" hahaha

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I'm not going to get into a discussion of whether one is better than the other, but based on what I've seen, glowstick-twirling really has a different style from fire-twirling, mostly because of the weight, but also to some extent because of the risk.I've seen glowstickers doing wraps that no fire-person I know would attempt (such as wrapping an ankle behind the back), just because of the potential for mishap, and using strings both longer and shorter than I generally see fire-people using. The weight issue changes the dynamic a lot--you'd need to use 5 or 6 glowsticks on each side to have a weight roughly comparable to a fire-wick, and this, plus the speed, changes the style a lot (when I twirl glowsticks, I keep my dummy wicks on for ballast). Firedancing lets you go slower, and often winds up being more athletic.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
i think everyone knows that i have not spun fire yet. hell i havent even seen anyone spin fire except for the COL vid. Very odd considering i have been spinning for almost a year now. I hit up the occasional rave, and clubs. I picked it up going to house parties.I feel for the MOST part, what you started spinning with, is what you will prefer. I know i will enjoy sparking up, but the more think about it, i will look forward to spinning the glow 90% of the time.I not been on the board for a long time, but as you can see by my post count, im on it allll the time. Since i have been here, i have noticed the attitude change. When i first came in, not many people spun glowsticks as their main medium, or not at all. Id say it was 89% fire spinners. I was accepted without any of the "fire is better" speeches. I think lately (last few months) the barage of the newbies have been glowstick spinners that have heard that their talent is an actual passtime and are looking for others to share moves wwith and create new ideas.the old school HOP members feel that thier site is being saturated by these people not "true" to the art. Hence all the post conscerning the new "POI FAD". I think both sides of this need to check themselves. The fire people are pushing, but it is not like the Glowstick spinners are not pushing as well. I mean this is the Home of Poi & "FIRE" twirling. im not taking any sides, because i dont feel either is better than the other. i spin sticks cause i can get the effect, and do it in my apartment. i think everyone needs to chill. If your spinning flashlight on the ends of an extention chord, you are still acheiving the movements of poi. You can still go into a trance state and loose yourself in the movements with glowsticks as well. This most likely will not happen if you have been spinning fire for 2 yrs...All of this needs to be dropped and concentrate more on helping each other..Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

RavingLunaticmember
286 posts

Posted:
They are both good, and to say one is better than the other is silly..not better but differenthowever I do like fire better personally, it's just so much more.. elemental and spiritual (god I sound like a hippy)take for example, spinning a staff ankle deep in the water.. if you drop it.. it goes out with a sizzle, and good luck lighting it again.if you drop your staff with glowsticks what happens? *sploosh* and some green artificial light beams up at you all distorted from the water.Which is better? neither.. they are just very different..and I also think some tricks are harder on fire. I use fire and glow, and there are certain tricks I can do with the glostaff that I just don't have the balls to do on fire. Like rolling it up and down my back is scary I don't want to burn my hair off!Then again, some tricks you can only do with fire, like where you make it do a quick barrel roll to spin off the extra fuel and make 2 huge fireballs, that simply can't be done with glowsticks..anyway, this is a silly argument..Neither is better, they are just different.

~whoosh whoosh whoosh~

Qmember
42 posts

Posted:
Hey, I hate to be all cliche and stuff but can't we all just get along?

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
i don't think this is an argument/conflict at all... it is a discussion about why people seem to favor fire over glos... and... from attending a lot of gatherings with fire and glos... and looking at emptyset's initial question... i think that the prejudice does exist... the question is, why is that?

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Flashfire, can't we just copy the 50 or so posts on this topic and paste them on this strand? I think the fire arguement has been argued quite well in previous posts. Why not just grab 5 or so of Pele's posts, one of Pere's, two of Joshes, the one where Nomad touched on the gracefulness of glowsticks, my "apples and oranges" posts, the Superman one where he agrees with my "apples and oranges" post and then expands quite nicely, then the "glow vs. fire = stupid" strand.I think this site has been quite welcoming of glowstickers (like myself) but it is primarily a fire site. There ARE many glowstick/rave sites but this one is a great resource for fire twirlers and performers.I STILL believe it's apples and oranges! If you enjoy spinning inside a building, where you can smoke, to great trance music, top notch DJs, huge lighting effects, with a younger crowd in a venue with lots of dolled up men and women to impress FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SPIN GLOWSTICKS!If you enjoy being outside in the elements, in the dark, with nature and a few people who you know and a beat up CD player, and like the rush of working with something a bit more natural and dangerous... SPIN FIRE!I LOVE BOTH! But I don't like Baseball. And no matter how many times my friends and family members how cool it is, I still like football better. But I'm sure not going to go onto MLB.com and say how much better football is than baseball because it's a PREFERENCE. I'm not sure that prejudice is the right word... I think baseball is stupid and boring but I KNOW that millions of people love it and that's OK. Most of the aggrivation that I've seen on this site is from posting redundant topics. winkIf this IS going to be the "glow vs. fire"/"glow vs. fire = stupid" strand of the month then let's make a pact. THIS IS THE ONLY glow vs. fire stand for the month of August ok? If you have glow vs. fire issues, concerns, questions PLEASE put them here."Everybody's different, everybody's fine. Your body's different, and so is mine" -Mr. Rogers

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
[moderator mode on]where do I start? the thing that really gets me going about this thread is that, as Mr Mo said, we already have an active one in which a large portion of us have had our say.emptyset - why did you create this new post? If the aim of your post was to ask people to be more accepting of either fire or glow and stop with the arguing, then why didn't you let sleeping dogs lie? It seems to me that this particular post is to act as a forum for all those pro-glo's to voice their opinion, as the other active thread is indeed overwhelmed with pro-fire. Perhaps you feel the need to get on your soapbox en masse...in this here pro-glo thread.I'm also really tired of these arguments. It's all personal opinion anyway. Get over it I say.I'm not going to close this thread because it's obvious that the glowies feel the need to be heard. I will be keeping a close eye on it though, so let's not let it get out of hand.I am comforted in the knowledge that anyone who has already said their part in the other thread will not feel inclined to add fuel to the fire...or pile of glowstix. whichever it may be. wink*yawn*glowies - here's your chance. [moderator mode off]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I spin both. Fire is cool, glowstix are cool. All i have to say is that its really tough to spin fire inside smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
close the thread eh? seems to me that it is very rare that we close a thread where all the fire folk beat a dead horse...its obvious that my point wasn't clear enough. im not saying that glow is better than fire or anything like what has been in earlier threads. They're both great. Respect. What I'm saying is that I would like to see the end to the steriotyping and negative treatment of glowspinners.

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
empyset - sorry you feel so downtrodden. I'm just a little tired of watching the same issues be raised in several different threads at the same time (sparkly poi, glow vs fire, coloured flames, drugs etc etc)the only reason I'd close this thread is if it was a re-hashing of opinions, not because the pro-glowers have some valid points! my god, I'm very much pro-fire but I'm certainly not unfair. gimme a break. My gripe with this thread is that it's reactiving stuff that's already in another thread.anyway.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Phyzeriummember
38 posts

Posted:
i personally think fire is obviously cooler, just for the fact its fire, and its dangerous. But overall id prefer glowsticks. glowsticks can be used anywhere, they last very long, and if you need to you can reuse them. And if you were at a rave, id be apain in the ass to try and do something with fire. But really, whatever makes you happy, do it :-)

Pain is pleasure.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
hi, hello, yet another case of NOT READING WHAT PEOPLE REALLY SAY! aaaah! I cant take it anymore!if you go read that fire vs glowstick thread you will see that there really is not a heck of a lot of stereotyping going on there. There is not a heck of a lot of glowstick bashing of people personally. in fact it is the stated OPINION of fire people that they prefer the style of fire over glowsticks. or that people who had compared glowstick people they had seen with fire people they had seen had found glowsticks less graceful and more aggressive which is not what they preferred. or that they had found groups of people to behave differently, probably because what we really have here is 2 different cultures of people that only really have one thing in common running into each other. so what? people are entitled to their opinion. and i dont think anyone said glowspinners were inexperienced newbies who dont know what theyre doing. Now here is my clarified *opinion*. you can be a really good glowstick spinner and still be a fire newbie. i have seen some who are really good who had no idea you could do the same thing with fire. fire is a totally different animal, involving issues of safety and responsibility to yourself, and other people, and to the fire community in general. I personally take this really *really* seriously, though i might not look like it from the outside, and i have been concerned that there have been people asking questions recently that show that they have not been made aware of all the things involved with fire. so, i am doing my humble part here to use my personal experience (which is less than some, more than others) to help other people do what i do. I'm seein a lot of ego lately, and its not very flattering (fire and glowsticks). apples and oranges.Pere

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'm done arguing this as well. Fire wins... Glowstix win. who cares, just spin and stop trying to be accepted by people with it. If you like to spin then spin, if you hate fire, hate fire, if you hate glows, hate glows, it's over. No body wins or loses this, they're all oppinions, and very strong oppinions that don't change. I love you all, now lets drop this argument and go light some glowsticks on fire and do nasty kinky things with them. Come on, you know you wanna.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Word.

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug