Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > combining acrobatics and poi

Login/Join to Participate

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
does anyone have any idea how to combine some acrobatics or gymnastics with poi (one person)? ive come up with a few for two people but im stuck for one, without being totally flexible or contortionistic that is. Any ideas?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I'd say practice with doing stretches and such. Make sure can do it without the poi in your hand first.

Try this one:
Bend down and shorten your chains and do a butterfly between your legs and behind you. Then very carefull do a somersault on the ground. You should be able to do it and stand up without stopping spinning.

PLURR
ÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Earthdreamer is the best acro-poi person i ever seen - NAG HER aboout it - she'll laaarve to teach ya i'd reckon!
I've stolen from her bag o' tricks a forward tumble from a btl butterfly (as above!), plus a simpler forwards tumble with a forwards spin.

Poi acro that i perform is a horizontal butterfly (?) above the head to round-off (usually a cartwheel instead) back to a horizontal butterfly , above the head. (since i can't transition to a overhead hirzonal butterfly, i typically only do it at the start of a routine!!)

a corkscrew split hi and low so that you can jump and tuck yer legs high up sk8 style between the horizontally spinning poi(one overhead the other under tucked legs) you should look like yer squatting in the air momentarily.

a 180 with any other trick, only you jump high instead of just turn. can be more than 180 if ya eat ya vegemite.

These tricks I perform with a split 8" poi set so I'd imagine other peeps will be able to perform more revolutions, higher jumps, firmer cheeks.

er. um, glad, really glad to see someone else cares about acro *and* twirling!! luv ya work!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Check out flashkicks.co.uk for some crazy acro vids.

--------------------
Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that even He couldn't eat it?

[ 12 April 2002, 18:54: Message edited by: falloutboy ]

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
CRD can you explain how you can do a butterfly between your legs and behind you again please?? what do you think about doing an ariel with a butterfly? thanks a bunch for the suggestions, ill let you know how i go...

6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that even He couldn't eat it?
Fallout, all i gotta say is that I'm worried.

Adrenaline,
quote:
CRD can you explain how you can do a butterfly between your legs and behind you again please??
I'd sweep the butterfly behind the legs by performing it low and shifting it between + behind your legs on both pois' downswing. A good tip: It's like ten million times easier if you shorten your poi by momentarily wrapping it once around your hand. Another good tip: always bet on black.

quote:
what do you think about doing an ariel with a butterfly?
obviously ya gotta build up to an ariel without fire first, and that took me months! a crucial element to the ariel is the extra momentum you need from the arm-swinging movement just before the jump! Therefore, if yer hands are pre-occupied with a symmetrical move such as a butterfly, you have less torque to jump with and will land either akwardly,... or in intensive care with a gerbil up y-... wait a sec no that was in my dream...
For poi, I can only ariel with a low wave, as heavy poi movements in the low wave do generate torque in the right amount & place. Other moves are possible i guess with an Ariel, but ya gotta keep in mind that Angelina Jolie is married. Ya also gotta keep in mind that the Ariel has little margin for error, and performing it with just a simple spin is tricky - the exotic spins + ariels is simply too cool for school

GOOD luck and may YOUR capitalisations BE CONSISTEnT!!!

adren@linemember
249 posts

Posted:
fine, dont understand me then, see what i care. i get the butterfly thingie now, and i can kinda half do ariels now i just wasnt sure how it would work with poi. and what the hell is with angelina jolie and your wierd dreams.

"no no, i think it is you little puppy dog, that is in trouble"

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
uhm what is ariels?
i only know qa washing powder of that name:)
Morgy

Out to Wrong Rights and Depress the Opressed.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
An areil is and acro move i ll try and explain this is presuming you know what a round of is.

well and areil is like a round of with no hands or like a front sommersault with a straight body.

a round off is like a cartwheel but lnding with both feet together facing the direction you came from.

some times an areil is called a biranie.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
thanx sounds like something that would get me hurt.
Morgy

6,978 posts

Posted:
YES you CAN hurt yourself. you CAN randomly CAPITALISE things too. the trick is, with enough preparation, you can manage the risk. Stretch ya limbs before ya bung 'em, and recognise that most supah powah moves aren't something you have to learn all at once. the evolution of my areil went thus:

1. god created the world
2. god created list humour
2. god invented numeracy
4. then she made my parents
5. CENSORED
6. Then I was born
7. A TX was sent back in time to destroy my T800, justifying another sequel.
8. I learnt to crawl
10. then i learnt to cartwheel
11. then i learnt to walk

12. added a one handed cartwheel to my good side
13. then learnt it in either directions.
14. then i learnt to do it planting the trailing arm (the leading arm usually planted)
15. then ya build the familiarity with 'ussidown and the leg strengf to carthwheel on your bent elbows over a hay bale. this is essentially the movement
16. eat the hay bale - and you will still be able to do it! *burp*

hope this yelps!

Morganemember
102 posts

Posted:
*grin*
nice evolution u have there spoke the person who never managed to cartwheel without falling over.
Morgy

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Elbow cartwheels over a hay bale! Brilliant! I must try this... never thought of that, but it would put a lot of the torque in the right places wouldn't it....