DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
I'd like to hear a good discussion of grip styles, since other people were asking too in the glowstick thread.

What grips do you currently use? How do you minimize rubbing/cutting? Did you try multiple grips or just use the first thing that worked? =)

--

Personally, I bought practice chain poi from a juggler in the French Market here in New Orleans. They had a grip built on that I've just now realized how to use correctly. I'ts a nylon band, doubled back and sewn onto itself.. think dog leash, or wallet chain. The loop is barely big enough for me to get two fingers into at all, and I cannot do the three finger (middle under) grip with these that most single-loop grip people prefer because the loop is too small. I've started putting only my middle finger through, and setting the loop into place around the bottom joint between the two knuckles. This is pretty much the exact width of the grip. I put my pointer finger over it and grip it from the other side with the pad of my thumb. This grip Does Not move at all in any direction and never rubs or cuts. If I get around to moving to BTB moves, I'm pretty sure I can just drop my thumb-forefinger clamp and let it swing freely on my middle finger joint, but that will cause friction, and thus, calluses.

When I started learning how to do these types of moves, it was not with poi though. =) I learned on a pair of weight-matched fiberglass and foam practice swords. Going back to a handle grip on my poi like I had on the swords may be a good way for me to get back to my roots a bit. =) heh. I could use penny-wrapped pvc for added authenticity. =)

-- dut

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I think I'm going to try your grip style, mine is the three finger style with the grips through my middle finger, as described on this site, but it does create rubbing and cuts. My grips are solidly attached to my chains and are the fairly tough black nylon like yours I guess. So hopefully your grip works fairly well cause my fingers are getting all bloody

Ok, I tried it, and it worked fairly well, though my grips are bigger than your's, I can fit my whole hand in them, so it did create some rubbing and such. But I found a nice grip in the process, I make something like a slip knot and slip my middle finger through it. This way it doesn't seem to rub at all and I can hold my thumb on it for more security. Grips seem to be a personal thing.

[ 09 April 2002, 07:13: Message edited by: Jello ]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I use rather elaborate hand-harnesses that go around two adjacent fingers (I wear them on the index and middle) and the wrist. The pro *and* con of this is that they won't come off easily.

The finger loops are over an inch wide, and covered in deerskin. The combination of a large surface area and soft material does the trick--I've actually lost the callouses I used to have.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i use wooden handles

anyone got a light?

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I also want to find some fancy soft fabric to make handles out of, but oh well, for now this new grip idea seems to do the trick, but I'm sure it's not foolproof.

And handles seem like a great idea, though I have this odd thing where when I twirl I almost sign, my fingers like to be a little fluid sometimes so with handles I'd probably throw them at somebody. I feel more secure of such accidents with my grips.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Jello - Glad to be of help!
As to your later post, if you really like to feel like you're signing, try avarice's two finger cross harness thing. I've seen pictures of them on ones you can buy online and they look lovely!

For soft handles, try wrapping wood in padded vinal hockey grip tape, or just find some way to attach chain to a nice bike handle.

--dut

[ 09 April 2002, 09:08: Message edited by: Dut ]

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
I took the handles off my dads old skipping rope, they're good because the metal tops allow a string or chain to be fed through and then clamped down by a bolt
In addition the tops turn with the strings allowing a lot more flexibility than something like glowsticks and a lot less blisters than something like plain strings
damn blisters on index fingers...

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
adamrice's fancy grips do sound really nice, for even with this new setup I'm finding some problems after extended use. Extended use being only like 1/2 and hour. I kind of would like to be able to go longer than that.

I did a quick check at the shop here, but didn't see them, did you get them online adamrice?

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Jello--

I made them. It's dirty pool to take business away from Malcolm right on his own board, but I do have a small sideline selling firedancing equipment.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Homemade? I see, yeah, I've been messing around with some options and such, try to find a nice material to make some grips out of. I'll probably just continue on my merry way than

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, my grips are sewed out of nice soft leather cord, very comfy, and i made em myself

however, i found even with these gorgeous grips i shorten my chain a lot and end up with it just wrapped around my hand, and that still chafed for a while, but now i have massive callouses on my fingers, so i dont feel it anymore...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!