Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > It looks like a weave... but....

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, it looks like a weave. I even tried describing it over the phone to someone and they said it sounded like a weave... but it bothers me. it doesn't [i/ feel /i] like a weave. I think what is bothering me is my circles really don't cross. one is distinctly inside the other, and also distinctly about a radius phase shift forward of the other one. does that make any sense? and if so, is this a problem?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Probably a figure 8 you're doing then. Bring the arm that is on the bottom over the other arm and repeat. Though i'm not completely sure it's a figure 8 you're doing.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
HMMM! Tricky one that! Its difficult to say without actually seeing what you are doing.Youve got the timing right if you are a 'radius phase shift forward' as you say - basically one poi is half a revolution ahead of the other. If the weave is done correctly then they should align to look like they are just one straight rod/staff rather than two independant units.The next thing to get right is what each poi is doing.Each poi should describe two circles on the opposite side of the body followed by one on its 'coorect' side. thus the right poi does 2 circles on the left followed by one to the right and vice versa. Put the two halves together in 'split time' and you have the weave (in short). Check this against what you are doing to see if it really is the weave that you are doing. Do what you usually do and follow the path of one poi to see if it does the above. If not then its back to the drawing board.An easy way to practise (as seen on art of poi vid) is to hold your left arm out forwards, straight and almost at right angles to yourself (looks like this: :- ). DO NOT MOVE THIS ARM WHATSOEVER!!!!With right poi swing one circle on left with the right wrist ABOVE the left. You can reach over the left arm a little to get the feel of things. As it completes its first circle, roll the wrist up, over and UNDERNEATH the left arm for the second left circle and then cross for the single right hand circle. In short, you do one left circle above the left arm and one below befor crossing for the right circle. Do the same with the right, put them together (theres no easy way of doing that bit) and there you have it.Theres probably LOADS of stuff like this on the board if you did a search but i couldnt be bothered to check it out so posted my version of events. There is also the Poi-lessons section or the art of poi vid.Hope this helps,Gruff cool

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
*looks at Gruff's explanation*I must be getting lazy or something because my explanations arent very good anymore lol.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yeah i did all the one handed stuff and all teh circle stuff is right... the timing is right... what's bothering me i don't think i explained clearly. basically, they arn't in the same circle... one has a center that is equal to the other ones outside. the circles overlap so that you have the outside of the outside circle, then the center of the outside adn the outside of the inside (i'm pretneding these circles always exist, they don't, obviously), then the center of teh inside and the outside of teh outside, and then the outside of the inside. now if that makes any sense at all..... hmmm.. well, let me know

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
So you're saying the centre of one circle of one poi is somewhere on the circumference of the circle described by the other poi? It sounds like you just need to move your wrists closer together. Although your version of the weave sounds quite cool - might have to give it a try coolJ

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol if it still counts that's a good start I guess! I couldn't get my wrists very close in teh begining of teh butterfly either (ok, they arn't that close yet, but still). It just worries me taht if i try to move them any closer I'm going to take out my shoulder as it seems to be in the way.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Not too sure what to suggest for getting your shoulders out of the way. Not usually the most mobile of body parts winkMaybe angling the poi to a point somewhere in line with your face would help? Or possibly moving your hands further out to the side of your body? Can't really say without seeing exactly what you're doing, I'm afraid.I had a go at splitting my hands a bit more in the weave - looks a bit like the interrupted weave Sage does in CoL2, except without the interruption. It actually looks pretty nice, and certainly helps put a bit more variation in a routine. Make sure you don't lose it when you get the weave going normally! coolJ

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
hehe, i'll try jephrye! i can't practice to much right now, my shoulder hates me, but hopefully it'll all smooth out and i'll be able to do both my version and the real on esoon...:P smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I did it! I did it! a real weave! yay yay yay yay yay! Ok, so here's what i was doing wrong. The hand that you make multiple circles with.... is supposed to be your crossed hand. all of the sudden it makes sense now! Yay! I did a real weave! now watch it be a figure 8...... no i'm going to be optimistic. No wonder i couldn't make the othe rthing work quite right.... it's not horiible looking if you can keep teh poi going striaght tho. ok, back to making the weave work... but i just wanted to tell everyone i did it cause i'm a dork!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah