shakasmember
1 post

Posted:
(im using gowsticks) When ever I do wraps ...around my thigh for example...I smack my knuckles and finger nails so hard...it makes me wanna scream....is there something that im doing wrong that can avoid this pain

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
stop hitting yourself in the fingernails, would be my first guess[This message has been edited by SickpuPpy (edited 29 March 2002).]

Jesus helps me trick people.

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
dont hit yourself with glowstix, they hurt really bad especially when doing reverse moves and they hit you in the face!!! trust me i know from experience.Xtremp.l.u.r.r.

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hit the wrap lower on your string. If you are aiming for the middle of your string then the stick will double back on you. If you hit lower on the string it doesn't leave as much excess to come back at you and will then avoid your knuckles and fingertips. Adjust your where you wrap on your string until you find a position comfortable for you.Good luck! ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
how nice of pele to give an actual answer...but yeah, thats about all you can do for it...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Not that i very knowledgable about poi, but surely you can also wrap on angles, so that by wrapping the middle of the string the glowstick will be above or below your hand rather than dirctly on it?

Or is there something here i missed... (give me a staff and I'm more confident about what i am doing...)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
I used to have this problem too! My knuckles would become bloody, and I still have marks from where i drew blood by wraping wrong on my arms from several months ago.

The wrap I delt with this the most was that butterfly wrap where it looks like there are spirals in the middle, so i guess it is a butterfly wrist wrap, alternating left then right. I kept hitting my hands. Answer is, as people had said, you have to look at where the glowstsick is, and wrap it so the glowstick wraps *just* around your arm, and not too far. That is the only answer i have to give. I like wraping MORE of my string, so the glowstick spirals more, but I also like having all my fingernails;) Good luck! BTW, that wrap i described above, does anyone else do it indefinitly? If i'm doing the FW BF, I wrap right, then left, left, right right left left...get me? So it can go on as long as i want....I figured that out because I can't go into the BW BF from that wrap. In fact, I can't do the BW BF at all *hangs head in shame*, and yet i can do BTB weave... what's up with that...

Good luck! wraps are a fun way to add variation, once you figure them out, and stop hitting yourself, cause man that hurts. Peace out - john

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
the spiral thingy you're describing, i do like two different ways. i use the one arm alternating from right arm to left arm and back, also repeatedly using both arms. when using both arms use ur wrists, place ur hands together and let ur strings wrap around both wrists. then to do it reverse just pull ur hands apart and put them together again, sorta like clapping. one thing to be aware of is that if done wrong you could do some serious pain to ur hands, knuckles and all.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

Skitz0member
1 post

Posted:
2 words..

no shit

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Instead of having girly little glowsticks on bits of string. Get some heavy guage ball chain and but some big eyebolts on the ends. When you're chains weigh 11oz (300 grams) each then you can start complaining.

Anyone who has seen my new chains will know what i'm talking about.

Although it's my light weight ones that have done all the damage to my hands. A point which I was just bemoaning to Kyrian.

Meh

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Chains are the greatest things ever, though yes, they do cause extra pain. But pain is fun:D

Though I can't find the perfect grip, I can't only slow the tearing apart of my hands. WIth my old set up I had some nice calluses but my the handles on my new chains just tore them apart. I might just find some tough little gloves or something, or just continue to whine about it until it goes away.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Have I shown youmy new chains Jello? I made them myself. I'm really proud. I've been showing them off to everyone (it makes a change from me telling them endlessly about my young lady )

I'll email you a pic of them.

Meh

Spacemember
63 posts

Posted:
Hey, i'm new around here. But you know what works wonders for cutting up your hands? Those cute little gloves you used to where when you were little. Remember? The ones that were too thin to keep your hands warm at all. You can get them at most low quality stores
Luv,
Space

We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment, each thought overcome by anticipation of the next, we take the breaks off

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Hey Space, nice idea. I was pondering a glove idea, or maybe just something to cover the fingers I use. I wish I could find something just lying around.