gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Come on guys here's one for you. I need to know how to do the weave behind your back. Any little tricks to allow me to master this incredibly difficult move.cheerspeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

vulcanmember
6 posts

Posted:
hey there garboi recently got the reverse weave behind the back. My one friend figured it out before me and i'd be damned if he knew sumthin i didn't ,so one day i decided to learn the move and at the end of the day i knew the R.W.B.T.B .What i did was to get used to spinning behind the back , first with 1 poi in my right hand ,i put this hand behind my back and spun it on my left side in revere , then i tried bringing this hand back to my right side,then back to the left(smiple side to side figure of 8).Then i did this with my left hand.Once i had perfected both i did the same useing 1 poi but holding the poi with 1 hand.thenthen only did i start one the actual move, i don't think i could ex plain the rest without confuseing you so my advice would be to look at this move in the lessons section and try visualise what your hands must do .hope this helps you or somone smilesee ya

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey garbo - i'll come back to this since i can't write much now but i can briefly say this: it's NOT such a difficult move! it was pissing me off for some time as i couldn't get it at the beginning; IMHO the best way to practise it is to get used to switching sides left-to-right behind the back with one poi first...then try to do a cross over with both poi behind your back; then try in split time and do a figure 8 (same as crossover but in split time) - it's not so difficult, the trick is body movement and timing - once you get this the weave will come easily since your hands are used to the movement from the normal weave...the tricky part that takes some time is to learn to move and position your body in the correct angle so that you don't hit your calves or shoulders - i am not good at bth back moves but i hope this helps... tell me if you need more help with it, Simos

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
simos - what is the correct "body angle" ? I've got the motions down and it works well when i do it with sticks or clubs, but when i try to weave behind the back i always hit my right calf and right shoulder, just like you said. How much should i be moving?[This message has been edited by spiffspiff (edited 23 January 2001).]

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey spiffspiff smile - it's hard to explain, i recently got the btb weave to flow nicely myself - well what i was doing wrongly before was that i was too upright, if you know what i mean - if you look at the animation you'll see that the guy is bending forwards a bit - this might help you a bit (it didn't make a lot of difference for me) but what made a difference to me was to use my waist more and get my body out of the way in way - by turning from the waist you can bring your hands further out on the sides and you'll need that extra bit especially if your arms are not super-flexi... let me add though that i still hit my calves and shoulder sometimes, i think your problem seems to be somewhat related to coordination rather than body angle! it's important to switch sides at the right moment, otherwise you'll hit your calves or shoulders - i know what i've said doesn't help a lot because i read a lot about this move and nothing made a big difference, the thing i can definitely tell you though is that it's a move which needs to be practised daily for some time - one reason for this is to become flexible and the other is that it's not like the normal weave that once you get it you can still do it after a year of no practise, if you don't practise the btb weave for some time you'll find out that you might go back to hitting your calves again until you get used to it again! anyways that's just my limited personal experience - i am not a big fun of btb moves in general anyway wink,happy swinging,Simos

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Thanx. I'm leaning forward a bit now ( I was actually leaning backwards before....bad) and now i'm not hitting my calf anymore, but i'm still hitting my shoulder. On the upswing, it seems like the poi are coming towards my body more than spinning beside it. Any more hints? appreciate itspiff

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Holy *#$@!! I just figured it out! Leaning forward helped a lot. But the big problem, poi hittin my shoulders, was hard...until now. Poi hittin your shoulders? move them out of the way. I just leaned a little bit on each side to make room for the poi to spin past. I just did about 20 reps of it in a row without hitting myself. The key is to MOVE YOUR BODY.

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
and another thing. baggy pants (and shirts)cause a big problem. if you are hittin yourself, tighter clothing will reduce the chances of you gettin pelted with poi.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
grin i am glad you figured it out spiffspiff - moving out of the way is very important and i think that the whole move comes from the waist and can help more space by moving the shoulders if you need to; but how on earth you can explain it better on a BB - well move your body everybody! at first i was leaning backwards too (big mistake) and was trying to stretch my arms in a really painful way (and whining to Pele about not being flexi enough)...then i got it but was hitting my calves until i met with Timmy, who mentioned that he had practised to learn to get his body out of the way - that was it! i went back home and started trying to move my body out of the way more! Thanx Tim! to any of you that haven't figured out this move, remember that your body is sort of moving in a kind of snake-like (!) way from side to side...grrr i am not being useful again, am i? garbo - is all this helping at all or are you still stuck?happy swinging,Simos

spiffspiffmember
52 posts

Posted:
Any tips on learning how to do the 5 beat weave in reverse (normal, not behind the back)? Seems almost impossible.

Sachamember
15 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, congrats on learning that move, it was cool to see you figuring it out on the bullitin!!!Now what I want to know is how to turn around doing the behind back weave. I have seen it done on video clips, spinning around in circles keeping the weave behind the back???????? It took me 6 months to figure out the btb weave, and although the challenge was awesome, it was a bit too long! Any tips??love and light,Sacha

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
hey Sacha - i haven't tried turning round while doing the btb weave mainly because i am not a big fun of behind the back moves - i'll start working on it as from tomorrow though - if i am successful i'll let you know; if i am not mistaken there is a description in the lessons - is it helpful at all?Spiffspiff - i had trouble getting the 5-beat reverse weave myself at first - then one day it just clicked but i have to admit that i don't use it much when i perform, mainly because i never practise it at all; however i can give you a bit of advise on how to do it if you let me know where exactly are you having trouble...my first advise would be to get a really soft set of practise poi - this moves is designed to hit you right between the eyes if you get the timing wrong...another important tip is that when you switch sides you should do it faster than for the other types of weave - wait until the poi which is supposed to change side first is nearly at the top of it's flight and then switch sides quickly...you are bound to have problems with the second poi hitting your shoulder but try it first and tell me what are you having trouble with - oh and make sure you wrap those wrists around each other as much as you can... grinhappy swinging,Simos

emptysetmember
98 posts

Posted:
ok here we go im goign to learn it tonight. im going to figure out the btbw. iv already broke one glowstick out of anger but now im going to take it in a calmer manner. your guys posts have already helped me out with somethings. lets see if i can get it...------------------bring light into the night

Its all in good, clean, light producing fun.

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
good luck with it emptyset...oh and stay calm man!!! oh and another thing - don't practise it with glowsticks unless you are using quite short strings or at least have figured out how not to hit yourself - btb weave + long strings = smack in the face!!! if you add glowsticks in the above equation you get a black eye as well!!!take care and good luck,Simos

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
Sacha, i've just tried the btb turn - i can do it alright, the problem is that i cannot do the reverse btb weave yet so i can't follow on the other side - i have to become a bit more flexible i think, those btb moves hurt! - but as far as the turn is concerned it seems fairly easy if you can do the btb weave forwards and in reverse! where are you having trouble with it? i might be able to help a bit although i need help myself with the reverse btb weave! oh well it's all down to practise - i am curious to find out, does anyone else feel pain on the back muscle behind the armpit and below the shoulder when practising the reverse btb weave???? is that the muscle which is supposed to stretch?happy swinging,Simos

Fiery FLomember
3 posts

Posted:
Okay, so like many others I've been trying to conquer this move. My qustion is this; When trying to do the BTB crossover which had is best to start with? It's best to start in split time reverse?? I"m determined to get this!!!Desperately TryingFlo

We own nothing except what we speak.Chief White Buffalo

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Well, when I learnt this I did it kina wierd by what I hear. I'd put both poi on one side of my body (one beside me, one btb) and try to go from there.Then again, I'm kinda wierd.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Learn the crossover in split-time. That way, the btb weave is only an arm flick away.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Split time and reverse. Send your right hand back first to go under the left hand when the left hand poi is on the right side.

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
okay not sure if i have rbtbw or btbw (they are spinning reverse when in front) It took some mad practice for about a week period to get where i could do more than 1 time btb before i hit myself. LEANING OVER helps tremendiously. I think what got the other brothers of the flame most was that i can move straight from the reverse weave to btb and back. Ohh ohh and i just got the rever ttn (was more annoying than btbw). Anyways yeah... peace

wulff

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
OMFG!!!..i just did it!!! i did the rev btb weave!! hell yeah!! *does a little happy dance* o-yeah!! woo!! hoo!!..ok im done...just thought that id share my over-excitement with you guys...lol..p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents, though it looks like people have said this before. Bending forwards helps a lot. The rest of it is very natural. I jump right into the BTB weave very naturally, its intuitive, only problem is now your body is infront of you instead of behind. I also have to take a tiny step forward with my left foot, otherwise i whack that leg. Practice will teach you how to wiggle so that you don't nail your shoulders. My strings used to be just the right length to nail me in the face, and I wasn't practicing this move for a while, but I changed my length and stopped fearing getting nailed, and then i got it. good luck you guys.

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
ooo yeaahhh...did the rev btb weave for like....err..a bunch of revolutions..WOO!!! HOOO!!!...so cooool..well just havin fun doin it now...my only advice to add would be move your body alot!! it really helps to twist at the waist when you go from side to side...at least for me it helps...peace

p.l.u.r.r.
Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem