Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > is there a nice combination to come into the butterfly

Login/Join to Participate

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
searching for a combi to come in a butterfly, what I do is just turn them in cross them after 1 or 2 circle. Find a way to come nice out but not in .DO u got some help for me out there

peace and light

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Hey OPM, while doing a forward weave, wrap the right poi under your left forearm on your left side, then turn 90 degrees to the left while it unwraps, now you're doing a forward BF. You can also do the same wrap combo from a chasing the sun or windmill. Hope that helps.PLURDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

Let us Light up the Night

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Here's a simple one...Come out of a move with poi swinging in time but in opposite directions. Then really quickly turn 90 degrees and bring the poi behind your back to the front, straight into the butterfly. This is very versatile because of the number of ways you can get your poi swinging in opposite directions, and if you do it all fast enough, it looks wicked.Hope that helps. grin

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
:points to DL's reply:thats what i do, and if people arent expecting it, it suprises the hell outta themand it looks pretty too...[This message has been edited by Whiffle Squeek (edited 27 March 2002).]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
I can go from the weave into split-time BF quite easily and fluidly.. I just can't remember exactly how I do it.. sorry winkAlso forward crosses are the same as reverse BF just with the poi to either side of you rather than both infront.. quite easy to switch between..Tom

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Hmm, pretty much anything can go into a butterfly. What you could do is pick 3 random moves off the moves list (including the butterfly) and then try to piece them together.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Heres a relly simple one that looks great I figured out about 5 minutes agodo a crossover and your hands are pretty much together already so instead of doing a second one on the next beat just bring the ropes into a butterflythat probable made no sense,,,but it does in my head,,, smile

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
i don't get it smileare you sure it's a crossover you're doing?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Kaos.. thats what I said above.Phunky.. what I mean by 'crosses' is when you swing normally at the sides and then cross both poi across your body at the same time. Gives a figure of eight shape and was used to help learn the weave.Tom

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I know what you're talking about now. I was taught to call it "x'ing". I also hear it as "the atom". We really should have a standard name for that move.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
grin got the DocLiquid one learned it in the morning sun where I swing every day before I start to work. i got one who looks nice to get out of the Butterfly do the butterfly infront of you and behind instead of coming back mass the butterfly on your right shoulder and turn left you come automaticly in forward weave, hope u understand what I mean. Spring is comin gto Europe that means more free space to swing to the sun cool

peace and light

alphalightGOLD Member
103 posts

Posted:
MERCI MERCI for the fast help wink

peace and light

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
DocL I do the same wrap, also in reverse as a way to go trans from a butterfly: BF > TTN (wrap on arm)> Forward weaveLooks poi-tastic grinFireMorphster

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
no no, it looks poi-fect! smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 28 March 2002).]

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
one of the first transitions into the butterfly that i learned was the windmill, and at some point keep your left hand in front and wrap your right poi on it and you go into the reverse butterfly, then you can easily wrap both on your thigh at the same time and you are in reg butterfly... i like this one..... leaves nice burns if you don't wear long sleeves tho....

wulff

NightRunnermember
20 posts

Posted:
As long as we're talking about coming in, anyone have any good ideas for going out? You can go into weaves, of course, and the aforementioned "x" or "atom", but they don't look too dramatic frown . The two exits I use both involve one handed butterflies. The first is just a wrap around my leg into a reverse butterfly, but I can't seem to pull it off unless I'm doing the butterflies one-handed. The second is hard to pull off since chains aren't balanced all that well, but if you're doing a forward buterfly one-handed and fairly slowly, you can toss it a couple of feet up. The chains will butterfly in the air for a moment, then they will unwrap themselves and you can catch them in seperate hands and go from there. (Much easier if you have some kind of handles attatched right below your finger loops...) Anyone else have a nice-looking exit?------------------"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing. It's the rhythm of your life. It's the expression in time and movement, in happiness, joy, sadness and envy." ~Jaques D'ambroise

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
What they said. (Going in) There are lots of ways to go into a bfly. One of my favorite ways to get out is usally out of a low wave. The left needs to be spinning forward on that side, and the right, backwards on the right side. Just bring your right leg up a little bit, and bounce the poi off the bottom of your shoe. Or you can do a lot of similar things with the poi spinning on different sides of your body. Wrap either one on any body part you chose and come out into a weave or rev. weave or windmill or anything, really.If you have bfly going, you can turn your wrists to the inside, and get the poi to start doing an atom motion. Once they get to the point where they are near 90 degrees or so of each other, split the timing, and go into a rev. weave. Or vice-versa. Lots of ways to do it, just put some imagination into it.Oh, here's a neat one to go into a bfly with. From a rev. weave extend your arms into a giant rev. weave and bring your arms down behind you and wrap the poi under your legs from behind (don't hit your nuts!), then pull it out into a bfly in front. You can do this forward and reverse, both in front, and behind the back. You can go into BTB bflys or low or high wave combinations. Pretty much everything.Too many to list. Hope that gives you a starting point. smile------------------I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.~~~Dance as if noone is watching!~~~PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

surrealmember
6 posts

Posted:
Depending on the music, I either a.)do a cross over and then pull into a fwd 3beatb.)throw either my right or left hand out when the btfy is on a 'down' beat and go into split direction rotation and then enter chase the sun, windmill, wheel of fortune, etc...c.)turn 45 deg to the audience and and go into split direction [it looks like you are standing in the center of a btfy]d.)turn 180 deg and jump into rev btfyYou can enter into any of the rev rotation moves with a turn or throwing your hands out to reverse your rotation. Or enter into the split direction moves by turning only one hand to change rotation or using a quater turn to do it. I agree with pickin a couple of moves and figuring out how to jump from one to the other.good luck!------------------Dance is the symmetry of elegance in strength, control in passion, and precision in motion

Dance is the symmetry of elegance in strength,
control in passion, and precision in motion

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Some one on another thread just reminded me of this one, so i figured I would bump it with a bit of useful information.

Cool wrap combo to get from a b-fly to a weave. Start w/ an overhand b-fly. Right poi wraps on either left bicep from the top, or left bicep from underneath. When it unwraps, the poi will be in a reverse weave motion (I suppose you could just stop there) but instead of going into a rev. weave, stay facing front and immediately do a windmill-style double bicep wrap, then pull it out into a forward weave by turning 90 deg. to the left. It just adds a little flair to a rather ordinary transition. Gives it more "wow" value.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
You can very easily force a forward weave into a split-time b-fly with a flick of the wrists. With a little practice, you can get the b-fly going smoothly within one beat of hitting it. It's kind of like going from an overhand b-fly into a horizontal b-fly. You just have to figure out how to get your wrists to do it right.

You can come out of a split-time butterfly into a forward weave, but the explanation is going to be a little bit difficult. I actually just tried to type it out, and even I couldn't understand it, so I erased it. I'll have it on video for COL3. I actually started doing that move when I tried to figure out a 3-point split-time b-fly. My hands had the memory of trying to weave when I threw them to the side like that. Basically, if you force the b-fly to stay to the right instead of coming back to the front and you add another beat with your left poi while it's behind you, it becomes a weave by default. I think. Hard to explain, easy to do.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Here is a nice combo...

windmill-->weave--->BTB weave--->some 360 if you want--->wrap on yer right or left hand while you doing a BTB Weave--->and then you get into a butterfly

well What moves you can do list them and i will tell ya combos:/

Dance like if noone were watching you

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
I hate to put this on here cause it's the wrong thread for it, but here goes:

chasing the sun, as the poi come down throw the right poi between the legs as the left goes behind you, let go of right poi(use glowsticks with different colors on each end) and btb grab your left poi with your right hand, now that your left hand is free catch the opposite color of the poi that is in the air, as the right poi wraps around your right leg do a colorchanging wrap and you know have the opposite color in each hand and have done some incredible moves to get there! This is a chasing the sun to BF move that changes colors with one wrap and a toss, hope you like it

PLUR
DOC

Let us Light up the Night