Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Ok most of us have a stronger hand when twirling - this is usually the lead hand when learning new moves etc.Many people have a preferred direction to turn (eg I find turning to my left with a forward-reverse weave easier - though I can turn right too). The direction of the poi when doing a weave or butterfly style moves is pretty damn obvious (scooping vs pushing air if you remember the beginner lessons wink).However, when doing things like chase the sun, corkscrew and windmill, I seem to revert to the same comfortable direction I always do. For the windmill I twirl in a clockwise direction and it messes me up if I head counter-clockwise. I have to really think about what I am doing.This is something I'm gonna work on. Just wondering if others have thought about the directions they use.------------------Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
i was thinking the same thing earlier actually. I seem to do everything in the same direction as when I learned it. I know very well that it can go both ways, but I also do a windmill clockwise. When I do it counter-clockways I always seem to want to go into a weave right away. Hmm weird... but i know what you mean. smileMATT------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've noticed I have instinctive direction preferences. When I was starting out, I was trying to teach myself a weave-windmill-weave sequence, and discovered I could only do it in one direction--when I tried it in the other direction, things went south. It was only then that I realized I knew the windmill in only one direction. It didn't take me too long to teach myself to do it the other way, but since then, I've made more of a point to get everything in both directions. That said, I'm still pretty awkward with the 4-beat windmill going CCW.There are one or two other motions I can think of where I just kind of freeze when I try to do it in the uninstinctive direction

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I do try to learn stuff in both directions. It's tough. Sometimes it takes me a while to realize that I don't KNOW how to do a move in the other direction.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
i agree, i was trying the same combo as adamrice when i realized the same thing, i can only do the windmill in one direction, since then tho ihave started teaching myself to do the moves in both directions from learning that way i get familiar with how they feel both ways. now i think that i have improved my skills alot that i have learned everything that i know in reverse( except for the rev 5 beat weave). lol peacep.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
wow you people are really advanced to be working on directions. Most of the twirlers I meet offline are unconcerned with variants in directions, height, spins etc - and it is only the people that practice practice practice all the time that are bothered with such details. Maybe it's because people that practice practice are forced to try out more to prevent stagnation setting in. or mae they just get bored at practicing the same thing over again.I reckon only with a combination therapy of practice and hypnosis can i properly perform backwards direction tricks with my girlishly thin arms.Someone must have hypnotised me to repeat repeat words words whenever i think impure thoughts aboot Llamas.They're not Alpaccas, y'know y'know!Ahh!Can't Stop it! it!
Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Or maybe, Mr Offender, some people just realise it's a dance and move to the rythyms that flow from within.As we dance to a beat that seems out of time,To the one you feel in the metronome of your mind,Does it offend you that our rythym looks strange?Or causes your thinking to be rearranged?Could it be that you would understand this beat to which we dance,More clearly had you been given a chance?So as you struggle to find the feel with your feet,Ask yourself. Can you dance to my beat?

Meh

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I banned myself from doing those moves on the side that felt better. It made me think a lot more about simple transitions and things but after a while it was just as easy as the other side. You can also do combo's that make you do the move on both sides but alternate starting on the comfortable side/direction and the less comfortable one.I found it made my spinning a lot more free and flowing and even though it was the same moves it felt like there was more variation. smile smile Ros xx

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i just decided one afternoon that i wanted to do all my moves in the other direction too.. dont know why i just thought i would and it worked.. but then again when i went outside to try some inbetween the leg stuff i learnt btb rev weave instead! Oh well..Tom

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
I made the mistake of only learning everything in one direction for the first 4 months or so, and when it finally occurred to me to attempt moves in the opposite direction, it felt so awkward (and still does in some cases) frown I still have preferences for which way I do moves, and which way I turn, but I can do either way on most moves without having to think now. Ros' thing about banning yourself from doing things the comfortable way is the best way to learn (although with ever-so-slightly masochistic overtones grin) I've learnt from this, though. I took up staff (and when I say 'staff', I actually mean 'broom handle') a couple of days ago, and I've decided to teach myself moves backwards and forwards with both hands, just so I don't have to re-learn the basics a few months down the line. Which means it's going to take me four times as long to get moves going smoothly. Shit. rolleyesJ

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Jephyre, it doesn't take you 4 times as long to get it smooth at all. In fact it means you get things in half the time. It's a very good way of learning staff. I try to encourage people to learn in this fashion. If you learn the moves forwards and backwards then it also means that you can more easily get out of things when you get stuck (if that makes sense?)I also try to teach people that they should only attempt moves with fire when they can comfortably, perform it forwards and backwards, in either hand without too much thought. So much safer that way. It is because I stick to this rule that I don't get burnt - ever.

Meh

halfabikemember
55 posts

Posted:
i do staff and poi and lately ive been working on new staff moves...one thing i thought of was the whole finger twirling concept...the way you can spin a stick forwards and on its way back in front of you twirl it with your fingers for 4(?) rotations...then you kinda scoop in front of you (sorry if my descriptions suck..but...) well ive been teaching myself how to do the finger twirl and then also do a backwards kinda finger twirl on the way back through the whole scoop part...you have to extend your middle finger out as far as it will go and let the staff roll between that and your forefingerand then itll eventually roll between your middle and your ring and etc.. so far its been pretty awkward but i can do it without dropping the staff...ive never heard of or seen this done before...but its been a real interesting thing to add to a routine...does anyone know what im talking about?!?!------------------excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

excuse me, santa, have you seen half a bike?

3,638 posts

Posted:
masochistic? me? never............Ditto Jephyre - I've been trying to pick up staff recently too and I am determined, like you, to get things smooth in both directions and both hands from the start. There are only two words to describe my efforts, however:1) huh???2) Ouch!!(but I think Cantus has sorted the second one... wink)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
well i'm really just started anyhow, i try to learn my poi in as many directions as possible (split time backwards anything is evil however) but staff... well... heh anyway about those poi i'm trying to learn in both direction si just realized from reading these posts that maybe i'm doing something wierd.. when i do a corkscrew or a windmill or at least something that looks liek them oen of my poi is going cw and one is going ccw. is that totally screwed up?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

3,638 posts

Posted:
with a windmill, both poi go in the same direction. If they are going opposite ways it's a mexican wave.with a corkscrew the poi also go in the same direction. I think that when they go opposite ways it's a horizontal mexican wave (? though not entirely sure....)hope this helps smile(feel free to mail if you want any clarification smile)

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Ros is right, the lessons show alternate butterfly and horizontal mexican wave if you wanna have a look at what you are doing.. otherwise corkscrew is here they do look pretty damn similar though.. i think corkscrew is easier..Tom

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
I'm soo incredibly right side dominant. When I go from a weave to a windmill I automatically turn to my right and leed with my right hand. In fact I do that with everything, stupid dominant right hand. I try to let my left hand take over and I just mess up and look like a gimp, my whole body seems to go stiff for some reason. Just takes practice I guess.and ohhh, cute llama smile probably a mean little guy though.------------------Ambiguous

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Ack. I just suggested a poll to do with this topic (it seemed like a great topic for a poll), but I couldn't find a way on the submit form to credit you for giving me the idea, Bendy. I thought I'd do so here. If it goes up, we'll split the pen. (Dibs on the half that writes). smileMyself, once I get a trick, I stop doing it with that side until I can do it with the other side too. Hate it when I automatically do everything in one direction...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
ok, i think i finally figured out what the hell a corkscrew is...lol....it is so way easier then what i was doing (at least to the right) and really a little easier even to the left. certainly i learnt it quickly. (watch it'll be something else entirely in the end, i just know it.) i feel like such a dork. i don't even know if what i was doing was anything, but it is a good shoudler work-out! smile lol uh thanks guys i'm sure i haev a handful of other bad habits and misconceptions i need to be disabused of... but that's one out of the way:P

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Kyrian, it doesn't matter if it wasn't corkscrew or whatever surely? I make stuff up when i spin poi and staff. I don't really care if it's a windmill or a mexican wave or anything. As longs as it feels right and/or looks good.There's no rule book here to be followed. Firedancing is an expressive form. You shouldn't let yourself be bound by convention.So, what you were doing wasn't a real move. So what?Just a thought, pay no mind to me....

Meh

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol no i don't care it's still fun..perhaps it'll be a part of a signature someday? it's just a matter of having new things to learn... like knowing what i have and havn't learned. i tend to be a little more form conscious with poi right now, and more tworads just playing with my staff(i kiterally know nothing but it's fun)

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

3,638 posts

Posted:
"I make stuff up when I spin poi and staff" (cantus, see above).......thought you didn't admit to the poi thing? wink tongueseems like our fiery fraggle is being converted.........

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I've just made myself some most excellent tennis ball poi that, cunningly, double up as meteors. I still don't do poi though.Anyhoo angel, I usually don't admit to doing poi shortly after mentioning that I do. *striving for cosmic balance, often acheiving cosmic confusion*

Meh

moniluxmember
3 posts

Posted:
I discovered poi 6 months ago , swung them in all directions:reasonable fun, great for loosening the neck;
then i got the art of poi video and learnt a few moves.....
Felt the rythmn, there is nothing like a bit of skill to lend class to your moves, beauty to your motion and an incredible feeling of the flow of spirit.
I learn things both ways, my left takes longer to respond. Practise seems to be the answer, it seems to me that I mess around for ages, bash myself abit and for no reason it just all comes together, and stays logged in and so onto the next......
BE Well BE happy

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Left seems to be my stronger side with poi. Most of my moves seem to be fairly sinisentric ( ).

But I'm more likely to use my right hand with staff.

Not noticed much of a bias with doubles though.....

Meh