Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > A collection of help questions

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ok, first, the whole alternate butterfly thing. I am doing pretty well if i just move my top hand over my shoulder and then back again, but that's it. I can only do my right. Any suggestions for how to get my bottom hand out?Second, I need some advice on the weave. I can do everything pretty ok with one hand but the second I have a poi in each hand it falls to pieces.Third, how do you even spin behind your back? Is it a flexibility thing? Coordination? I can't even spin one behind my back unless I'm bent double, and i have no idea how to approach spinnning both. And I did do a search on this one, I just didn't find anything useful. Thanks guys smile! I'm loving every minute of this, even with the blisters and hitting myself in the head. But I got a few basic things down today, so I'm happy!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
With the alternating butterfly, you need to drop your underside hand to get it out of the line of fire. With the weave, try an incremental approach. Try doing a simple two-beat crossover. Once you get comfortable with that, it's not a big step to the weave--you just need to remember to put in the extra circle with the crossed-over hand. For me, it was helpful to think of the forward weave as putting one hand over the other, then the next, the reverse weave as pulling one hand under the other, then the next.As to btb stuff, I don't want to sound condescending, but don't worry about that until you've got a bigger repertoire of moves. BTB stuff requires more intuition of where your body is in relation to the chains, it involves moving your body around a fair bit, and it involves more wrist control--all of which you'll develop as you get more simple moves.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
don't worry, it's not condescending, i know i know nothing. smile Thanks. I'll see how it goes.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
About alternating butterfly.. are you doing any beats inbetween? cos if you're not you shouldn't have a problem of 'getting your hand out' cos the other hand isn't blocking it.. try practicing with out poi.. start with one hand in front and one hand over/behind your head.. and then just swap them over at the same time (ie one moves from front to back and the other from back to front) so you always have one on each side of you.. when you're comfortable with the movement try it with poi..hope it helps,Tom[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 17 March 2002).]

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, yeah, some weekend soon, hitokage and i are definitely going to get together and just spin, so when thet happens, ill let you know kyrian...its so incredibly helpful to have someone showing you when youre first learning, its damn hard to start learning merely from reading words...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!