KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
what's teh best thing to learn first, I've been working on teh butterfly but it's really still eluding me, my left hand just can't keep the spin on teh right plane, and it ends up looking really weird, altho they don't collide all that often. it's just that one is spinning around in teh air and oen is sort of spinning in a little circle right over teh ground. any help would be cool, thanks smile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Oddly the first thing I really got was the windmill/corckscrew. Some guy was like, "hey, do this" and I tried and kind of got it. Sure, it took quite a while to really get it, but thats what I first started on. Just this last weekend I had a guy who seemed pretty good come up and ask me how to do the windmill. So everybody learnes different things first I guess. Just relax and keep at it. A butterfly is a good thing to start off with I think, it's quite do-able once you get the knack. Unfortunatly this whole thing takes patience wink Have fun smileOh yeah, beware, somebody is most likely going to respond saying, "Do a search, this has been discussed before, POINT". They don't mean to be rude, though I must admit initially I found it kind of rude. But anyways, there are only nice people here, so don't be offended. And I guess if you can, search for your questions first, I never do and get reminded to constantly smile------------------Ambiguous[This message has been edited by Jello (edited 15 March 2002).]

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
My first move was the butterfly. I think that mostly its where your hands are placed. my right hand is slightly above the left so the the right poi is always behind the left. I think thats what gives the illusion that they should collide.Hope that helps a bit. If not you can do a search, i'm sure people have talked about it a bunch in the past. Good luck.POINT smileMATT------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
There's all sorts of theories on motorskill learning...play around and see what works for you because we all learn differently and certain moves will be harder than others for any number of reasons.This also makes other moves easier too, which is great.The easiest way to come across these is to try as many different things as possible and see which you prefer.Afterwards, make a note of the moves you didn't like and try not to avoid them in the future as I have done far too much with my club juggling...Hope this helps a little------------------Charles (AKA INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggle.co.nz/fire/fire.html

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Just for kicks, why don't you learn everything behind your back before you learn them infront of you. Then later on, instead of beind stumped on how to do btb moves, you'll be stumped on how to do moves infront of you!It'll be like the twilight zone*music plays in the background*------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
phunky, I wish I had thought of that.And see, the point thing did happen smile What do you do with all your points? Is it like retail stores where if you sell enough promotions you get a bonus or free gift or something?------------------Ambiguous

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Thanks a bunch guys, i know i should search more....hey, i did a lot of searching on help with the butterfly before i almost abandoned it. It's going better this morning. I only just realized i'm not supposed to be staggering it, so, uh, back to the cafeteria to practice smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Cool, the cafeteria. I myself would not use my dorm cafeteria, too busy, I prefer the dark, yet high ceilinged basement smile Have fun!------------------Ambiguous

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
I started with a forward cross over. took that to the chase. then weave. then butterfly. A good amount of the moves are varations of the cross over. changing the timing of the poi in a cross over is basically the chase. chase is the weave. weave is the corkscrew... ect ect

I smell something burning.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Got the weave first, myself. Like others have said here, it's key to deriving other moves. Or, if you get the other moves first, they're key to deriving the weave. smile

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
I started with the basic forward and backward swings, trying them in every combination I could think of (timings, positionings etc...) and the high, low and tuck turns. I found they looked really good really quickly and were VERY easy to do.I had a huge backgorund in club swinging before i started on poi so I guess the forward/backward spin combo's were just to get the feel of the poi and how they behaved rather than the first step of the learning curve.All the moves I knew from doing clubs transferred almost directly onto poi, so i gueass I kinda had an unfair advantage.Gruff

Galawenmember
45 posts

Posted:
My first move was a very advanced trick currently named "Hit oneself in the groin"After mastering the HOITG move I moved on to the weaves and butterfly, but first you MUST learn the HOITG move winkHave fun

Give Me FuelGive Me FireGive Me That Which I Desire-MetallicA

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Hey jello i just thought I'd tell you thanks cause the first move i got after a basic front crossover was in fact the corkscrew! I just kinda assumed the butterfly would be easier but now i am just sort of trying things at random, it's....interesting. I lost one of my balls again today i really have to attach them better.... have a great day/night whatever smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
kyrian, at least you dont have to worry about the intenese pain caused by the inevitable crotch shots while learning the bf...:shudders:heh, my first move was a crossover, if you can call that a move, and then the 2beat weave evolved out of that...to do the bf, i recommend bringing them together in alternate timing and then once your hands are reasonably close, just switch to same time, it worked for me and for the tow other people i have taught...also, practice just with your left hand, keeping it in the forward plane...and also, for me at least, if you practice your moves just before you go to sleep, they turn out much better the next morning, i guess your body falls to sleep deciphering the last movements it went through, or somethign like that...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
you know i did learn finally how to hit myself in the groin today but it still doesn't hurt :P I am learning how little muscle i really have in my arms and shoulder but i love it and i don't care... smileI've got something really cool going that's kind of like a windmill or maybe it is i don't know but anyway it's fun....just how long does it take to stop getting tired?and the morning thing totally works, i just woke up sat morning and i could do a corkscrew, and i had quite an audience at the time so it was just as well that i could do something for them! smile I love this, it is the best stress reliver ever!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
wow..you hit yorself in tha groin and it didnt hurt?!?! i hope you are female...hmmm...maybe you are just smart likt toneman and use a cup, i whould really invest in one of those...ill learn one day..lol...my first move was crossovers, and went into the chase and then the weave, then i learned alot of bf variations with juststuff i learned from those simple moves i did first. it always helps me to have an audience, altho i love to practice by my self...have fun with it and DONT GIVE UP!!!p.l.u.r.r.Xtrem

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
lol yeah i'm female, so that is why is doesn't hurt. on a side note tho i dropped my staff on my foot twice today, and that DOES hurt. but that's ok. the weave still eludes me... but.... i can do btb butterflies so i'm going to be patient and wait for someone to be physically present and help me out with what i can't get... smileeveryone loves it anyway there is only one other kid who spins at all near where i am and he's only done a little bit from raves.i still suck tho. smile but it's fun

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
you should move...j/k...come to texas and i have a friend who will teach you some stuff, he tought me alot, now he is expecting me to teach him something this week, uh oh...i gotta practice....*runs to practice poi*p.l.u.r.r.Xtrembtw~you dont suck, you are still learning, so just keep trying and you will get it all in time!!! i promise!!

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
you know i was thinking about going to TX next year but i think CA wins....lol anyhow i could redfine near me since there are two people i knwo of about 20min or something like taht from here (I think they're responsible for this....:P) but it's not the same thing. And i knwo i'm still learning, i'm patient, usually, it's just after whacking teh chain into my face one to many times i start to wonder about myself....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
I have started showing a few people how to get started, and I have develpoed a bit of a method I think. This was pretty much how I started as well.crossweave3 beat weavebutterflythread-the-needlewindmillcorkscrewI also urge everyone to learn things in reverse as soon as they have them down forward. I find that it helps you a LOT later on to know everything in multiple directions.peace

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi