harksmember
7 posts

Posted:
what a site! please tell me your historical slant on poi origins. Our history says the poi originated from the 'ki', which was a small weaved flax bag (with an opening at the top) in which maori (the native new zealanders) kept a single moa egg(a very large birds egg). Some ki had lengths of plaited flax string attached for ease of carrying, several ki could then be carried at once in this way. The progression saw them used with stone fillings for warrior training with movements to sharpen reflexes and as a muscle strengthener. Then later smaller versions were incorporated into dance and action songs.

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Welcome to the board!There's a very little bit on the history in this site, here:https://www.homeofpoi.com/history.htmI have never heard the thing about the eggs before... interesting!

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

harksmember
7 posts

Posted:
thanks blackbird, i'm still surfing the site its incridible. The info on the site you gave is the jargon we feed to the tourists...use of the tiny poi you see today was a much much later development in maoridom whereby it was used in action songs.The ancient Maori poi was actually called a POI TOA - toa means warrior. The dainty little poi are the stuff the tourists love, especially because the poi dances are performed by our lovely 'wahine' Remember the 'hula' in ancient times was performed by the males to impress the ladies, now look at it, complete reversal! the mighty tourist dollar speaks! There must be poi-like artifacts from other cultures, yes?

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Heh don't ask me, I just post here...Seriously, I've only been twirling for like a week wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
My understanding is that the history is really undefined. Hawaiians have been credited with it's creation as well. I will say that it is interesting to read the different origins and see what it has transpired into today. As of yet I havent found a culture that began with these things on fire.I have heard the dancing theory, the warrior training, the relation to the bolo weapon..now turned rhythm instrument bola, the egg is a new one though it is very similar to something they had in the movie Rappa Nui. Asian cultures have meteors which are similar but instead of two strings it is one, and I believe that they also have their own version of poi. Nunchuka's aren't terribly far off from some forms of poi, neither are flails (stick for a handle, chain, ball). My understanding is that there are several incarnations of poi and I am certain that there are more cultures that share the designs with different names.Please let us know what you discover on your search.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
although not poi, the Samoans have their sacred knife fire dances - which are essentially single and double staff twirling - with fire... I've yet to see it done traditionally though and don't know if there were ever poi versions (I don't think so, but may be wrong)

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
Well, I mean, it's just something on the end of a string, it's not like a world culture changing invention or brilliant technological leap is it?

Chrismember
11 posts

Posted:
If your interested in the history of moari poi, the book that Malcolm sells in the shop 'The Rythum & Life of Poi' is very good.Just don't expect any mention of fire.Chris

harksmember
7 posts

Posted:
Finding this site infinitely absorbing! obviously poi have changed peoples lives!the photos are beautiful and aesthetic. In our country the poi dont have fire or streamers mores the pity.there are traditional rules called 'tikanga' whereby the poi cannot touch the head, which is considered 'tapu' or sacred, the gluteus maximus and if you step onto or over the regular type action song poi you'd be heavily castigated! With the bigger POI TOA anything basically goes as they are used for physical training- watch the ALL BLACKS playing rugby sometime and see why they're so physically imposing!Back to catching up on the passionate entries on this site. kia ora koutou nga poi tangata ma!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
can see where your coming from but there certainly are other types of poi in Godzone. Infact its really thriving see the dates for our shows etc inspired by the passion on these pages too!!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
great to c some seroius discussion mixed with humour....I'm from the North Island of N.Z. yeah the mainland and we've always known the poi started as a as a vessel made from flax for carrying a big egg, two would be joined with a rope so could be slung over the shoulders- then to a training weopon that only men would then or at thew same time used in action songs so on a time scale it may be as old as the great eruption when Lake Taupo was formed ...SPOT YAS

eturn80member
15 posts

Posted:
I'v actualy traced poi to 495ad, to the Shaolin Monks, who used the "Double flying Claw" as weopn. The double flying claw consists, of two double finger grips(one for eache hand) connected to a rope, with a dagger at its extreamity. Of course one was only aloud to use the dagger, had he atained the skill. They were considered to be a hidden weopon. if out numbered or one sword is damedged. Just whip out the knife poi, tricks are used as defence to keep people at a distence, and then all of a sudden one poi is whiped at an oppenent, stabbing him.Lets all thank grasshoper"Bondage to all things is relevent, i feel it now. Now the inability to do by restraint, but by conditioning."Me- on socioty

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
probably goes to prove that in this part of the world contact was full on between the cultures because we didnt believe the world was flat here like they did in europe re; columbus. dont know when the eruption of taupo was but i'd imagine it was some time ago also so goes to prove its ancient wherever it started!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
jeez what a shame the All Blacks got a hiding from the Ozzies, the AB's might be in need of some poi toa exercises but hows that going to help them play smarter...THEy ARE DumB!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
sacrilege, calling the AB's dumb!? dont they just pick the bright-eyed uni boys now? maybe they should stsrt picking gutsy rugby players instead of trying to convert the pussy-boys into thinking players!thats whats missing the grass-roots players who played for the fern not their pockets!!!!!If they had the brains & goodlooks they could get onto twirling!!!!!

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Cut it out kids, or they'll start calling you Americans... wink

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

harksmember
7 posts

Posted:
looks like All Blacks are back on track so thats one for poi power? Any more origin info? When did the flame versions start appearing? seeyas

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
saw an article that said they started in hawaii in 1955