Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > help on a move i dont even know the name of (please?)

Login/Join to Participate

MalkavDeSademember
8 posts

Posted:
with short strings, theres a move you can do the looks like a horizontal windmill. i think its called a corkscrew. however, i've seen people add a variation to it that i cant for the life of me figure out how to reproduce. it looks sort of like they added an extra beat. any help would be all sorts of appreatiated. ((i wouldve looked elsewhere to find the answers, but i dont know where to begin, cuz like i said, i have no idea what its called.

Be Alert. the world needs more lerts.

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
(insert beat number here) corkscrew I'd guess? But don't quote me on it... that's just what it sounds like.Kinudin

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
You may be thinking of horizontal butterflies. They look pretty cool; why not give them a try.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
yeah, it sounds like a corkscrew... does it have 2 rings that look like they are intertwined?------------------I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
what he's doing my friend is simply a corkscrew with a single beat between the arms(one spin or revolution of a bicycle wheel) this causes the illusion of an extra beat. if you do this at the top and bottom of the swing you would be doing what is called a crazy eight.PLUHRDoc------------------Let us Light up the Night

Let us Light up the Night

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think kindun's right... Aren't you just talking about a 3 or 4 beat corkscrew as shown in the "poi lessons" above. It's kinda tricky but the animations are quite good.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

shizN0Tmember
184 posts

Posted:
well, DocLiquid is right and NYC smileadding the bike wheel gives and extra beat and a 3 or 4 beat corkscrew. the extra beat, were the poi on the same plane, or did one start to go to the other side of the arm?

I smell something burning.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i am pretty sure that is what doc is explaining. that is the most common move to add for short strings. you can do the wheel with your left hand on top and the change to your right hand on top easily, and all the people that i have ever seen do short strings do that little combo of cork to wheel...

anyone got a light?

MalkavDeSademember
8 posts

Posted:
yeah, i think doc got it right (although i could still be wrong, so dont quote me on it) its done with forearm length strings, so you can kind of dance in place while performing. i can pull off half of it, but for some reason or another i can only get the strings to rotate between my hands once. (so it ends up like bottom of arms, top of arms, between arms, bottom of arms, top of arms, between) i have the exact same problem when i do the move sideways (someone described it earlier as a tunnel of light, i think? its the same move as this one i think, only its more compressed. and i cant seem to get it to go back to the middle after its gone middle-right)ok, i go back to practicing now.

Be Alert. the world needs more lerts.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
I'm with pozee. It's either that, a triple cork, or a quad cork. Hope you find your answer. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Horizontal butterfly's are nifty, until you mess up and both poi smack you in the head. I always get stuck doing them and can't get out and than BAM! I have a bloody forehead smile ------------------Ambiguous