Page:
Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Now I know that fire poi and glowstick poi are closly related but there are just a few differences. I would like to see some glowstick lessons due to the fact that those few differences are just enough to confuse me a bit. Now I personally would be more than willing to make a few vids to show people the few moves that I know, but I would need help from others. If anybody is interested in this lemme know.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I find when i use a heavy chain, if i slow down my spinning and when the poi is at the arc of the circle, the poi collapes on itself. If you have heavy chain, your going to have to have a heavy object at the end to prevent that from happening.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I can tie a knot with my tongue, don't need any fingers. tongueI had a set of poi that were tennis balls and they were all well and good, but I really wanted heavier ones. I now have a 10cm steel eye bolt (5mm steel, 16mm eye) threaded through the tennis ball with a couple nuts on the end. The nuts are padded with foam, and the whole construction is covered in electrical tape. These things are nice and heavy - and long too.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

TEK829member
29 posts

Posted:
My practice poi are dog chains with the key ring on the end and a tennis ball with the ring fed through it. Leather finger loops.When I want them heavier, I start cramming pennies into the tennis ball. 35 cents each, so far. -829

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and the world laughs at you. It's your choi

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
i just had to add my two cents in here.

i string with glowstix because i got started in the rave scene. i have given myself everything from bruises and black eyes, to split open flesh (face and eyes mainly) to concussions. let it be known that just because the object is light-weight doesn't mean you can not do serious harm.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
quote:
do it all exactly the same and you should have no prob..
That's exactly how I keep learning shit!

--Dut, pro grinner.

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Heh, Tell me about it casper,
Especialy the camping style glowsticks, Ive also gotten black eyes, much bleeding, huge welts, as well as trauma in other places I will not mention. never a concussion tho
and strings are a different story
At a club last week the glowstick ripped and I had to use plain string instead of handles, I havent been able to practise for two weeks because I have a huge blister that opened and became a bloody mess on my index finger from the string rubing against my skin while spinning

Glowsticks have all the weight concentrated at a small point and therefore can penetrate skin, whereas balls cannot...
Example: try and draw blood with a needle, then try with a poi ball...It just doesnt work.
And the speed factor causes even more pain, please note Kaos's first law of Physics below:

Kaos's 1st law of physics- faster moving objects hurt more than not as fast moving objects.

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

breakerBRONZE Member
36 posts

Posted:
hey kaos, the best strings to use, when using stings, are oval laces. that's what i use and i've never had the problem of my finger gettin tore up. when using glowstix it is best to go to a string instead of anything else, specially with the camping stix.

"our love withers here and dies
the story had to end in blood"

"You will not feel pain near the end, my dear
Your memory shall remain with me
As I weep upon your grave
My love...

My love..."

Aphrodites Faeriemember
8 posts

Posted:
I'm sorry, but I find all of you quite stimulating!!!! I just satrted Poi and I think it's all VERY VERY difficult.. although I am useing glowsticks if that really does matter as you've been discusing. I just think it's funny that all of you are debateing weather poi is different with glowsticks of fire.... strang argument.

***Billee***

redragonxmember
73 posts

Posted:
i use cheapy dog chains that are reeeelly light, and i spin with g-sticks or unlit firewicks (still working on my parents( ) about the hole fire thing), and they work just as well either way. if i want more weight on my g-sticks, i have a pair of golf balls that i drilled through, and stuck sum heavy guage wire through, and made loops. i put them inbetween my chains and gsticks and i find it slows them down enough to dodge anything in the extreme pain range (all the guys know what im talkin bout), and i dont really bother to dodge much of the everyday wacks and stuff. on the question of speed, i spin very fast with g-sticks to create a more solid pattern that i can see to avoid those extreme pains . ive never actualy cut myself with g-sticks, but if i hit myself in the face, it feels like some really P.O.'d chick (no offence ladies) just tried to remove my head frum the custody of my shoulders my head off. hmmm. that was my longest post i think, but i ran out of things to rant about.

~A Soft Rubber Bodybuilding Smurf~

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
I started twirling with glowsticks only and then heard about this site (8 months ago) and said "holy crap, you can do this with fire?" Well I'm using basically the same technique since i started almost a year ago...i twirl with a pair of cheap lanyard keychains because they seem to be the perfect length for me (around 45 cm or so). At one end is a clip perfect for glowsticks, and the other end is a giant loop. Rather than put my hand inside the loop, I loop it around the index and middle finger of each of my hands. Imagine pulling a loop of fabric through your first two fingers with your palm up. Then open the loop and pull it over those same two fingers. The force of twirling glowsticks actually pulls the loop tighter around my fingers so I don't have to worry about it every falling off (most of the time ) In addition, I can twirl with my palms open, which seems to be a lot more comfortable for me, and gives me a way to make subtle length changes quickly (pulling my fingers in to make a fist can help speed up the circle I'm making if I need to.) So yeah...and before I go I must agree with all of the "dangerous glowstick" comments previously mentioned. I use 6" automotive glowsticks and they leave bad welts on open flesh

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Right on redragonx. I put down $5.00 at wal mart a week ago and bought two choker chains, (about 2 feet long) and a pack of quick links. haven't tried em' out but they're fun to wrap.

Wear long sleeves while wrapping mind you. Because the chain pinches your skin and leaves absolutely no scratch mark or cut. It's immensly annoying.

Page: