Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Glowsticks hurt my fingers, any advice?

Login/Join to Participate

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
I finally figured out this whole wrap thing. It was like one of those riddles where you just CAN'T get it, but then someone points 1 little thing out, and *poof*, the answer is right there. Or like those stupid integration problems where once my teacher shows me what he did it makes perfect sence, but until then I have NO IDEA what to do *grumble*BACK ON TOPIC - Okay, so I can do wraps, but when I do, lots of the time the tips of the glowsticks hit the tips of my fingers. They whip through they air so fast it really hurts my hands. I'm bleeding :'( right now on one of my hands, and my other hand has some "battle scars" from yesterday. Any advice? My wraps are getting better (I can finally do that cool spiral BF one), but I really don't like practicing because my hands hurt a lot frown I think only answer is doing wraps at extreme ends of strings, so it wraps around behind hand or infront, but not on *ouch*. That's about it. SOOO... how are the kids? Have a great weekend everybody! (I get monday off smile But have to host mentor apreciation lunch for extended essay mentors frown But spring break is in a few weeks so I'll go clubbing smile) Not like anyone cares.... Hi five! Keep on spinning! smile -john

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
What kind of string you using?

Dance like if noone were watching you

Tailsmember
16 posts

Posted:
heya... i had the same problem when i first started doing wraps.. still do on occasion.. basically.. what you have to do is not start the wrap in the middle of your strings.. start it closer down towards the glowstick and that way it wont whip around and hit you in teh finger.. it'll take some time to get your placement right.. but if you're using long strings (which i'm assuming you are because you're backlashing) either try moving your arm/leg/foot out farther, or moving your hand back a bit.. should help keep those sticks where they belong.. wrapped winkwell.. that's a wrap.. hope what i said helps.. sometimes i dont make much sense-Tails

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Funny, I JUST did what you're talking about. Nice way to split a knuckle no? Wear gloves when you're learning. It sound wussy, and it is. But I'm not of the "bleeding hands are sexy" bunch.After lots of practice you'll gain confidence and then see exactly where you want to hit the wrap. But it's true, how close you are to the body part dictates how long the wrap is.Too close and you've got bloody knuckles. To far and your "wrap" is more of a "whack".Heck I've even got cool little "track" marks all down my arm from just the strings rubbing.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Haha!"That's a wrap"I get it! grin

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
My suggestion for da bf wrap is to wrap in da area on your hands between your elbow and hand. I do that and it doesn't hurt very much unless i'm using really bad string or my 3/4 inch chains...

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~