Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well I have been noticing the recent flood of new people lately, including a lot of glowstickers who now may be inspired to do fire. I have been reading stories about battlewounds, fire breathing with alcohol, failure of wicks to go out on their own...etc...etc...and people are seemingly not doing their homework before doing something which is inherently dangerous to people (yourself and others) and property. maybe not as dangerous as somethings, but its still fire. now here in the US as we all know its hard enough to get anybody to let us do fire legally without a lot of hoopla now, imagine how hard it will be when somebody actually does something really bad, burns something down and makes it impossible for the rest of us. this is the real danger of the "fad" mentality. how many people know that throwing water on a burning person will result in steam burns? water on a fuel dump fire is useless and will just spread it around and you really need a fire extinguisher? coleman fuel fumes will ignite from a spark and kerosene won't really...and so to save you from working too hard, read: https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000075.htmlcurrently
our safety procedures for a group of social poi twirlers (also applicable to staff) include:-several towels, at least one damp (not dripping wet) for smothering wicks when they are done and for putting out people who might catch. towels held by an alert safety person while people are twirling. the safety person should know how to put out a wick and a person, some groups have safeties trained in first aid as well. towels soaked with fuel after several uses as smothering towels will not be effective and have to be washed off before use.-fire extinguisher for fuel fires/burning stuff like grass etc. also useful to know how it works.-spin-off excess fuel away from spinning area so you dont cover your audience and fellow twirlers with hot burning oil droplets, and you dont make a big slippery oil slick where you will be twirling. if you can spin off into a container, its more environmentally friendly. you'd be amazed how much fuel you waste otherwise.-no smoking/fire zone around the fuel containers (including smoldering towel wicks which can light the coleman fuel) fuel kept in metal containers, (paintcans, coffee can, metal bucket, etc.) not glass or plastic.- have a clear area to twirl in not containing flammable stuff, things to trip on, overhead objects like trees/wires to get tangled on, etc. be aware of your audience if you have one and make sure they are a safe distance away from you. this is another responsibility of the spotter.personal responsibility of people includes dealing with hair, wearing non-flammable clothes, checking gear for wear and tear. I don't currently have any split-ring links on any of my chains since there seems to be a general consensus that they can fail (never happened to me). if you make your own gear make sure that the swivels you use can withstand the force you will put on them, and avoid non-welded chain which can pull apart. be careful to make sure cable links/ ball chain links are secure, check those gromits on handles. be aware that as towel wicks burn down they send off sparks and bits of burning towel which can land on your clothes, dry grass, etc. you are more likely to be burned by exposed metal parts than the actual fire. we assume that you know how to do a move well and confidently before you try it with fire.you may think that you spin better while drunk but really, believe me, you don't. as far as i am concerned, spinning while intoxicated is incredibly stupid, like driving, and i do not lend my gear out to intoxicated people. and that's just for poi! which is probably the safest thing you can do with fire. and not even everything...i'm sure i have forgotten stuff. it sounds like a lot but after a while it should just be second nature. safetwirling,Pere

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Here, here and well spoke Pere. smileI want to add for the safeties of fire breathers/eaters something that is rarely concidered...if a damp towel can smother a flame, than trust me it can smother a person too! If a person's face goes on fire, don't throw the damp towel over them! Wrap the towel over the shoulder tops of clothing area to keep from spreading...or over their hair and pat the facial fire with your hands. Trust me, it goes out fast this way.Know your fuels well. That was my personal mistake with the fuel I used when my wicks wouldn't go out. I hadn't used citronella before. I most likely won't again. Thank goodness it wasn't a performance spin and it was in an abandonned lot. Last one is one I think is important. Know your limits. If you are sick, tired or for whatever reason not into it, please don't light up. This indifference can cause more harm than it possibly ever could cause good. Along the same lines, if you get tired while spinning, stop. Watch for dehydration, dizziness, headache and stomach ache..all of which can signify that you have inhaled too many fumes or just have been at it too long.Your health and safety is never worth the spin, nor is the health and safety of anyone around you.Take your time, research and practice. If it is truly something you enjoy doing, then not lighting up can be as nice as lighting up, and you have all the time in the world to work up to it.Best to all ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
I'm way too sexy for safety. Besides, I can't possibly get hurt while on E.Actually, I have seen quite a bit of the above, unfortunately. Good call Pere (shift broken on your keyboard kid?)

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
Must....Not.....Use.....Capitalization......you're lucky you got apostrophes.actually, know what's annoying, the username thing is case sensitive and i always really want to sign in as just peregrine and it wont let me! this just indicates my shy an modest personality of course smilepere wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Belly dancing fire performing chic is shy and modest? hehehe, only til you get her started! wink

Pele

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
but i don't do the bellydancing in public!which i will have to start doing to justify the money i have been spending lately on making the costume...Pere

RolloTCBRONZE Member
11 posts

Posted:
Good call on the firesafety type thing... Just a couple more things:Spin at least 20 feet away from fuel dump. It's not a good thing to have a big pool of flame. Do spin off excess fuel... also do this in a safe and not-near-where-you-spin place. Yes I know the flying bits of flame look really cool, but they are dangerous... Both to you and to those around you (audience, buddy watching you for safety, etc). If audience gets burned, they wont watch you again. If buddy gets burned, they may not watch you for safety again. both bad things.Fuel dumps: Dont leave open containers of fuel. Little bit of flame near the fuel dump and you can have that big pool of flame. This is one of those dangerous things, and the fire department (especially in America) could really get on your case.Also something I've been told before. Dont store fuel in glass containers of any sort. sometimes if the glass heats up the fuel inside will cause it to explode. Shards of Glass become shrapnel and could really hurt somebody. also the fuel inside will become that big pool of flame.Rollo

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
On storing fuel in glass. It depends on teh fuel and it depends on where you put the glass. Because of my Ren show I am seriously limited to what I can put my fuels in while on stage. My kero is in a squirt bottle >>read: one of those biggish plastic snapple bottles with an arizona iced tea squirt top on it<< in a leather pouch. It is filled before show and put back into the Kero container after, behind the scenes. My blowing lamp oil is kept corked (noticed not screwed) in a decorative glass bottle so I can simply take a swig from that. It sits the whole time in that without problem.And I have stored it that way for weeks in the garage without incedent. But, it is out of direct sunlight (which fuels should never be stored in btw) and the garage is well ventialted so it doesn't get terribly hot. Which should be conciderations when storing fuel anyway. I am inclined to think that White Gas would explode far quicker than a Kero derrivitive.Thanks for the tips and reminder RolloTC!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele

sandmanmember
65 posts

Posted:
mrmo, 'can't possibly get hurt while on E'? I got a nice gash over my left eye from last Friday that proves that I can! Note to self: Never try and show off a move you haven't yet mastered while in an altered state. I was trying to impress the girls whose poi I was borrowing. Don't think I achieved that, but I did get a little sympathy wink

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
bumpity bump!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Hey flash, is there a reason why you're bumping this up? If so, it might be nice to state it rather than just flashing your moderator badge and making me read the same strand I just read and chose not to respond to. wink-Mrmo, in sarcastabitch mode for no reason.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I wanna make you guys who don't use saftey eq think for a miniute... What happens if by some odd way your fuel dump ignites. If you don't have the stuff on hand to battle a fire of that type. You might as well start dancing in the flaming pool your gonna have until it burns it'self out. This is the thought I had that made me go out and buy an extingisher. I have it near the fuel, whenever I have a fuel dump site. Humm wait if the dump goes up and the extinisher is near it will I be able to snatch it out of the flaming pool and still use it? I have plastic containers too. I have yet to be able to find anything of the right shape in metal. As for personal saftey I have yet to have that revelation thought to kick me in the ass. After trailing I have no fear of setting myself alight. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*sigh*moderating the mods, eh?don't make me hurt you.(can be equally as sarcastabitch wink )I bumped it cos there's another influx of nexbies who will benefit from having this thread on the first page.is that okay with you, or would you rather I get your authorisation prior to any further bumping sprees? winkjoking - you know I love you, even though I'm not cool anymore.[This message has been edited by flash fire (edited 17 August 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Authorization Granted.See now sweetie, that's all you needed to say: "I thought some of the newbies would benefit from this thread so I'm bumping it up and would be interested in any new comments"You were doing increasingly well on the cool-o-meter lately but this one will cost you. Especially since the original thread which Pere refered to is much more informative than this one... wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Here's a suggestion--wear eye protection! Why? Fuel in the eyes can actually blind you! fun huh?! So try to protect your eyes somehow. I wear sunglasses; that way I'm protecting myself and looking pretty cool at the same time. I'm hoping to get 'nighttime' sunglasses. rather than blocking the sun like actual sunglasses, they supposedly make things a little bit brighter. That way I could also see better at night.Oh yeah, when you get a pair of glasses, etc. make sure they are a real tight fit, because they can really screw you up if they are falling off while your twirling.

Code128member
69 posts

Posted:
Hey Spitz,I use glasses for driving my motorcycle at night and they would be absolutely perfect for your needs. 2 suggestions for you, first goggles with a band would be great as they would be tough to shake off, and also no fuel could get past them to your eyes. Check motorcycle stores you should find these for like $15.00 and some have interchangeable lenses so you can put in the sunglasses during the day and swithch to the yellow or clear or amber ones at night to brighten things up.Other suggestion go to a good lumberyard and take a look at their safety glasses for carpenters, I have a yellow wrap around pair that rock, like $7.00. Not the old ugly ones they used to give in shop class either. CODE128

------------------
A.N.T.H.E.L.I.O.N

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Flash, Mr Mo... what does it mean to "bump up" ?Cassandra the French frog frown

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Pele'sWhippingBoymember
442 posts

Posted:
cassandra, Threads are organized by date order of their last post. So by posting in a thread it gets moved to the top of the list. This is called bumping if all you're doing is ensuring it's position on the page.------------------"Except for that Mrs. Lincoln, How did you like the play?"Pyromorph - Let the fire change you

FYI: I am not Pele. If you wish to reply to me and use a short version of my name, use: PWB.

English? Who needs that? I'm never going to England. - Homer Jay Simpson

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hehe I saw some dude last night with an old bomber hat complete with silly goggles. Hehe protect your eyes and hair at the same time while looking as if you could take off with your next helicopter :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the explanation Whipping Boy , you always come up with clear explanations... oups, didn't I just "bump up" this interesting thread ? winklove to learn smileshine oncassandra

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
So if I bump this thread it'll move to the top of the pile?

Meh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
hmm good idea cantus. I guess thats the way it works roud here

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
For any Aussies...

Did anyone see bloody Kimberley Cooper on Celebrity Big Brother attempting to twirl a lit fire staff the other night? She had absolutely no idea what she was doing and actually hit herself with a lit wick several times. She was very lucky not to set her hair alight.

This was shown on channel 10 at 8:15pm on Sunday night (prime time with lots of kids watching). Of course there was no warning about playing with fire being dangerous. In fact it was portrayed as being a huge joke!

It made me very mad.

Grrrrr

Finn

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah uncareful second-rate celebrities and spelling errors give us a bad name! I saw the humour in it tho! did anyone catch 'Total Recall' on Channel 10 earlier in the week? there is a firestaffer with 1' of wicking on each end playing on a viewscreen in the background of the 'recall' holiday memory offices. woot!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I think i have it on video. I'll go watch it.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Bang goes that idea. Turns out i have the book of the film. I could watch that instead i suppose.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
It doesn't do very much. It's basically fairly booky. I've been staring at it on and off for several hours now.

Meh