Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Not enough stalls(wraps)....opinion about COL2...opinion about poiing all please read

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RaVeRxSurGemember
18 posts

Posted:
Umm... from what I have seen, you guys around homeofpoi have been really focusing on your twirling. You've been focusing on your 5 beat 360s, btb weaves and 360s, quadrable corkscrews, xtra beat fountains, btb fountains... all this twirling here and there. You guyz realli realli realli do not perform enough stalls, now I'm not talking about wrapping around here and there to go from one move to another, nonono, none of any good stalls were demonstrated in ANY videos at houseofrave.com or homeofpoi.com or under COL1, or COL2... i live in the NYC area and me and my friends go a club here(club exit) where we get together and perform infinite wrist wraps, bicep wraps, rising sun wraps, upside down rising sun wraps, rising sun alterations, butterfly handcuff wraps, weave handcuff wraps... and then take all of that... and put it all BTB! the hardest thing right now that we're working on is behind the back bicep wrap which a couple of my friends have gotten which requires both hands to go above the biceps behind the back and to wraps around the biceps behind the back and keep alternating... i mean this is the real hard stuff... also put in some neck wraps here and there and then mix all the twirling together with crazy wraps combinations using thighs, the neck, the hands, and a lot of behind the back wrapping, wrapping from forward wheel to reverse wheel and back, playing around with with leg wraps and stuff... i mean if you guyz think o yea sure i can do all the wraps that i'm talk about right now, well i think ur wrong lol... keep practicing and figuring out new wraps, theres an unlimited number of wraps and styles to mix the wraps together and twirling with.... i'm not talkin about your fruity turns and fruity o look i can do 5 beat i'm so kool lol no... and dont even give me that crap that you do poi to be one with the nature and that its a good way to relax and you want to be one with earth lol.... hell no... i do it cuz i love to show off and i'm very competetive i want to do the hardest wraps possible all btb and i'm outraged that you guyz don't try more wraps... so what i'm trying to say is please people... use 10 inch chains/strings and practice doing behind the back weave handcuff wraps... behind the back wrist wraps, behind the back bicep wraps.... etc.... its much easier to do it with short strings because you have much more control... and down here in NYC we do it with strings and glowsticks.. so thats why we probably are so much into wrapping... sorri for all u out there who are having a harder time using kevlar and fire poi and chains... i know how u feel.... anywayz pleez pick up on wraps guyz.. post videos of all the wrap you know... explain wrap combinations... etc... thankx for reading... by the way COL2 wuzn't impressive... i dont want to be harsh... but its nothing new... its all old.... if u want to do something new and hot go into mad wrapping combinations and mad styles.. .and that guy dancing in the beach in the send and all he wuz doing wuz turning was pathetic.. so was the tribe of sock and the glowstick ravers ont the video... i give props to sean gibson because he did some okay stuff and to sage... i thought xaeda sucked and ben king should've one staff.. anywayz.... set higher standards for ur selves guyz... always seek to improve.. -RaVeR SurGe -NyC, NY, U.S.A.

-RaVeR SurGe

J0ewAYmember
1 post

Posted:
first things first, ok people are bitching about the grammer.....all i can say is "Please (okay Pele?) Please STFU!! god this aint no grammer classroom or some sh!t. if a guy wants to type like #$@#$@#$@ and not understandable let him!for N8....dun gimme that bullcrap about Poi's being from tribal shit....hey maybe its true but i doubt that most people would look back at it like that! it's like saying who was the first man to introduce toilet paper for whiping his ass..AND all u other guys Hounding down at RaverS and Shino, (skills, grammer, or whatever)-n8, Durb, Neeko, Pele..etc - unless u guys COME DOWN TO NY and watch them....and then get yourself bitch slapped, BETTER STFU.

JC

RaVeRxSurGemember
18 posts

Posted:
Hey wutzup guyz... me and shino are soon gonna make a video together because he lives right next to me and we practice together, thats why I realized that you guyz don't do enough wraps and don't practice enough, but I'm not talkin about everyone, I'm sure there are a couple xpertz out there as well who are like us and practice 5 hours a day perfecting one single transition from one move to another and making everything look clean cut at every angle.... anywayz me and shino will post a video up soon so we'll put up a link soon.... by the way.... all you guyz who practice at least everyday, more power to you, I'm sure there are good twirlers out there and I don't mean to offend them, but I just realli want to encourage more people out there to wrap because it'll give you a lot more variety in ur showz guyz ^_^ you can do more with wraps.. and frankly after practicing for years 5 hours a day of twirling... i just got sick of the same old circles... so me and shino have been adapting to massive wrapping and getting towards hand raving (liquid/pop/break dance style).... anywayz chyll guyz and everyone be happi... ish just me and shino realli don't like people out there who say "i twirl because I want to be one with nature".... thats just a joke.... would you like to know why I twirl? the full truth? I twirl because I get a huge adrenaline rush when up in front of everyone in a circle in a club... i love battling other people to see whos better... cuz us raverz down here in NYC are always striving to be the best of the best so we battle and see the latest moves and wraps people have come up with... so basically me and shino go around makin sure we got every move from homeofpoi discussion boards covered as well as ill NYC movez that we still gotta show u guyz... we keepin it competitive to make sure you all are on top of your game... so go out tonyte and practice everything all over again.. try a few wraps and get comfortable and get use to wrapping both strings around your neck at the same time from a weave or butterfly sort of like a handcuff wrap around your neck.... stuff like that that could go well with any routine... just practice... and if u think u practice enough.. ish not enough... you'll see us soon.....

-RaVeR SurGe

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
So because I have a job and can't stand around spinning for 5 hours a day......does that mean I suck? I don't understand this "raver" thing you two keep refurring too in the name and in the posts. My first rave was in 1991, in the last 3 years I've only been to 3 or 4 raves (chaulk it up to growing up). However the last time I checked, raving was still supposed to be about Peace, Love, Understanding, and Respect. IMHO you both use the word "rave" and "poi" much too loosly. Seeing that you don't know what either "poi" or "raving" is all about.BTW: Pele is a very giving person of the female persuasion. Just trying to help clue you in.[This message has been edited by Maelstrom (edited 06 February 2002).]

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Baby! winkJoeway, the grammar thing is because it is difficult to read. If you had read the rules I quoted you would realize what people are saying is in conjunction with this.Surge, thank you for calming down. It is appreciated. Just because you don't feel it is tribal does not mean it isn't for everyone. Many people feel a spiritual connection or release through spinning, especially those who use fire.Shino, try again. It was still rather nasty and I will not allow that with all upper or lower caps. You were still very much in violation of at least 3 rules, in a non-productive, irrelevant way (telling me I have a dick up my ass in no way pertains to this thread).And I agree completely with Maelstrom that the concept of raving is completely misunderstood.If the offensiveness and outward nastiness continues I *will* lock down this thread.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 06 February 2002).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I practiced for like 4 hours a day for 8 months straight... to tell you the truth it got boring. I spin for fun now but i haven't had a practice session in a month and a half. You will be the same. Or probably succomb to boredom even quicker than i did. I realized it's not a race to become the best in the shortest time. You have your whole life to perfect your spinning.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Gawd, you newbie "raver". I can tell your new to the party scene because one, you're attitude, two, anyone who has been partying for a period of time HATES the word "rave". It's associated with everything bad in the scene.Also, partying isn't about glowsticks tied to strings. That's the stupidiest thing i've heard in a while. If you think partying is about getting high and tripping out to your glowsticks, then your in it for the wrong reasons. It's people like you who give us a bad name.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
thats just uncalled for.....im sorry but last year raver you sent me a mail saying youd been doing poi for months, now either you were lying then, or your lying now, and probably a lot of what your associates say is dubious to. what gives you guys the right to be such an opinionated so and so's? dont take this the wrong way, but if you want to keep us on our game, perhaps you should pull your head from your arse and take the time to see what it is were actually playing. its probably not the same one youre enjoying, and thats fine by us (excuse me please people for taking liberties)oh yeah raver, did you see that wrap i put up for you?can you do it?.... no you cant.. and why, cause you havent been practising for 5 hours a day for years. if you had been then maybe it would've taught you some of the better things, the more mental/spiritual aspects of it all. do you even know what the words respect, humility and pride mean, unlikely it would seem. if you want so desperately to get competitive with it all (now no one get alarmed, im just using this as a ridiculous example of how silly raver is being) and keep on your game, why dont you just stick to your own. i mean honestly raver, if i beat you with my stone poi it wouldnt be funny, but i could stand there and make derogatory comments about how your glo sticks are tangling your hands up making things hard for you when youre trying to defend yourself, and that you should do it MY way becuase i come from N.Z. and thats what they are ment for. ah yes you say, but i dont like doing poi like that......... the world dosent revolve round your clubbing scene, get some fresh air for christs sake. the futility of it all must be becoming apparent to you exit crew people, yet you continue to persist with the attitude that we'll come round in the end if you just keep on being obnoxious enough.pele, please leave this and the above message on so everyone can see how silly those boys areso how about a stalemate then aye raver and co (you could just piss off) why dont you cease with the attitude.talk talk talk, i bet i know more big word than all of your crew combined.... so many words and very little action, more words, now a nasty word 'bugger' and now a little bit about how we do it better than everyone else, and that noone deseves your respecthe he he just taking the piss cause if you have to lie about how good you are......., or how long youve been poiing.......and anyway, leave the moderators out of it, your only having probs 'cause you dont obey the rules that everyone agrees to to keep things nice and civil and pleasantggrrrrrrrrrr!!! nasty insincere little man

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Who ever posted the thread about a point for posting before the mods. lock down a thread. Count me in for a possible point.BTW: I'll second that Phunky

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
OMG!! For the 10000000000th time - Pele is a lady!! "She" not "He", "Her not "his" etc.Sheeesh.If you're going to argue - at least have the courtesy to get a gender right. It's been mentioned quite a lot in this thread already.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Pele is a well respected member of this online community and comes out with some amazing insights and points. Basically she's one wicked babe! And I don't think I've ever seen her personally attack anyone. Nor have I ever heard her say 'I'm better than you'. And it's in her nature to tell me if I'm wrong here winkRaVeRxSurGe, J0ewAY and Shinomori. You've stormed onto this board and have been rude to people and created a stir like I've never seen before.On this board we have discussions. These often involve people with differing opinions, and here all opinions are valid (except rude or offensive opinions). These discussion happen in a polite and respectful manner, otherwise people lose all respect and it all goes to hell.We ask only a few things:1) You be constructive. Criticism is a negative force. Helpful and constructive criticism can be positive. Don't come on here and state 'COL suxs' or 'i know guys youd bow down to'. COL is not entitled 'The Best Spinners in the World' so don't judge it as such. You could add a list or advice on wraps and stops. You could hang around, answer questions, contribute sensibly, etc...2) You use good grammar and punctuation help people understand what you're saying (I'm English and I have trouble reading your posts) but also they allow people to search your posts. This is crucial if you post something interesting.And, please note, you do not represent NYC or the NYC 'rave' scene. I've been out 'clubbing' in New York. Had a great time. It was full of fine, happy people. I met some nice spinners in one club, can't remember it's name now. Generally 'raving' or the party scene is about having fun and being who you are, and being accepted for that, and accepting everyone else for who they are. Not competitions and upping yourself.People here can be very forgiving. Please start acting in a respectful and decent manner and become a part of this community.Personally I think, lock down this thread, it's going nowhere. It's become a slanging match. We don't need that in our lives.Dom

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Dom,Dont worry about it dude! if you were here I'd offer to buy ya a nice cold beer smileThese guys are just kids looking for respect in all the wrong ways. Everyone's gotta learn somehow.Just ignore them, and they will go away. Like everyone else, they are entitled to their own opinions, as long as they stay within the rules. If they step outside the rules, they will get bored of having their posts deleted. Either way they will get bored of what they are doing, and move on.It doesnt matter ppl, it simply doesnt matter, dont get worked up about it.Josh

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the beer. Can you hold it on ice for about a year or so?I'm not wasting any energy getting worked up over it, I've just got some time on my hands. And I've got this annoying trait of having to have my say, even if I'm talking at someone who isn't listening. Reckon sometimes you've got to try before walking away and not caring smileRight, back to the party people! Nothing to see here....

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Maelstrom - I think a point for being the last on a thread before closure is more challenging smileMeanwhile this whole thing is becoming surreal. The "hardcore" stereotypes are coming out grin I love seeing stereotypes materialise in real life (both good and bad ones) It's funny and almost like being in a dream or a bad teen-movie. grin

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Bendy: Yes I agree with your point system. Last night about 12:00 am Ohio time, this thread seemed to be heating up in terms of numbers of post, being posted quickly, I thought for sure it was going to lock down smile. Disregard my point frown, or does this mean, because I posted too early that I am negative one piont????My votes in for ignoring these guys and their threads. I am guilty of irritating and, plain old ticking people off on the board in the past. But I also feel I have tried to assist and do so good. I have purchased these same tapes that are being discussed. Not only to see other's twirling, but to do my part in helping Malcom keep this board up and running. It's a small monitary contrabution to the cause, be every penny counts. IMHO I have felt in the past and still feel that Malcom should charge for the use of this board and it's knowledge. Why should he have to pay, his hard earned money to put up with your insults and ignorance. You really should stop looking this gift horse in the mouth.

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
You've got to admit, for an activity that is basically performance based, there aren't a hell of a lot of huge oppressive egos around like the bad-ass NYC glowstick posse we've all been exposed to here.Let me explain the scene here in Western Australia. Me and my friends and I get together every Monday night to fire twirl in a park near the beach. We may have had some gigs over the weekend or twirled in various places or for friends. We meet people from all over Perth who may be old friends or ones we met on the weekend who were interested in what we were doing. Some nights we get drummers and other musicians who come along voluntarily to add some tunes to the atmosphere. Keen newbies are helped out with making toys and finding parts learning new moves or given a little encouragement or confidence building if they're doing fire for the first time. We play hacky sack, sometimes fire hacky, go for night swims, drink, have BBQs and generally have a wicked time. Safety is high as there is an attitude of mutual care. It makes for an awesome time, and the one thing that gets me is that everyone leaves the park smiling.Now we don't do a hell of a lot of wraps or very complicated ones at that. Most of us use fire toys over glowsticks. We teach each other rather than try to prove the skills we have to each other. I am happy to twirl in front of people in this environment even though I charge for it at events. What's missing is ego maniacs. They just don't fit in. Certain people on this thread have written off or put down every aspect of what's good about my twirling and that of my friends. That's OK in a way because I don't have to tolerate you at all. All I have to do is not use this forum any more. But this forum is where I get inspiration and new ideas. That's because we help each other. Somebody wrote that they come to this site to find new moves, yet only wanted to send in a video to prove how much better the skills are rather than to contribute to the massive.You just don't get it do you. You've annoyed nearly everyone on this site who I consider friends and inspirational ones at that. You're taking up expensive server space with all these pointless posts and their replys. You don't want to contribute to a resource that you have admitted has helped you. Time to go. But think about what's being said here, for the world's sake.One more thing. A quick taste of your own medicine. Wraps without fire is playing with kids toys. I do it myself but I do fire wraps and on bare skin too. I put fire staff down my pants too, and I don't wear underpants either. And I'll fire breathe for you if you blow glowstick juice for me. Normally I charge for it but it's a fair swapBy the way, its after midnight here in Aus and its 24.5C (76F) and I may go to the beach on the way home. Wraps must be easy in a big thick winter coat.Dom- if Bendy buys you a beer, make sure it's a Coopers and not that West End garbage.

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the defense and kind words guys. My heroes!! >I spent alot of time on emails last night (Josh, you didn't get half of them!) with one of these guys and in the end, he just doesn't get it and thinks he did nothing wrong.I deleted one of the posts 3 times, and he never got the idea it wasn't what he said but how he said it. I was making a point and changed my mind in my post, so I deleted it, and he failed to see the smilie and the for example and just kidding part of it, and just won't let go, which is what he was talking about. He took an obvious joke meant for the rest of you, not him, and read insult into it (and reworded it incorrectly btw), but then can not believe others would be insulted by what he says. Maybe I should've left it up as a taste of his own medicine, not that it would've mattered. So what it comes down to is these guys are going to read what they want and believe what they want, we don't need to perpetuate things.Jonathon, I know you wanted the one post to stay open but there was some stuff that was *really* offensive in there and I just couldn't let it go. Sorry.I like the way that the thread turned around and so many wonderful points have been calmly made. I ended up leaving when the emails really started to piss me off and they were coming at a harrassment charge rate and volitility, otherwise I would've shut this puppy down. Glad I didn't! Though if it turns back around, it's going down like the Titanic! winkAnd yes Maelstrom, Jonathon, phunky and Durbs would've had points! winkMuch love and respect to all...group hug! grin------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
This really confusing to read now as alot of the posts have been deleted. My previous post for example relates to the post before it which no longer exists. *sigh*Ah well - all's well that ends well. PLUR(My goodness - I've never used that before and meant it)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Damn it, i didn't get to read them before they were deleted!------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Alright, I have a question here. Before I ask it, I just want everyone to know I am seriously not trying to be a smart-ass here (even though I was in my last post on this thread). I am really wondering why there are three differnet people on this thread and one on the 'Best Poi Video' thread that are typing all crazy-like (abbreviations, caps, intentionally mispelled words). Two of them also have random letters capitolized in their names. Is this some sort of gloxsticking-inner-circle ease? Did I fall asleep and miss the induction of some new words to the Oxford English Dictionary? I guess I'm just curious because it cracks me up. I'm picturing these kids sitting at their computers going, "No, I can't spell the words in this sentance correctly. I need to stand out. A-ha! 'i'M gunNa skoOl alz of u @ wraPz.' Yes, this is a vastly superior sentance." Okay, I'm starting to get smart-assed. Sorry. i WiLl c u Laterz. Peas. [This message has been edited by Neeko (edited 07 February 2002).]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
l33t talk.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Neeko - I don't know where the thing with the caps started, but it seems to be prevalent amongst some members in the rave world. More specifically amongst "candy" ravers (though not exclusively). Simplified english like "u" and "b4" might be ok in moderation (I often use "tho" for though), but when they are all strung together it makes things harder to read. That is why it is in the rules.Possible that when instant messaging, SMS and email started to become more main stream those people that could not type as fast as they wanted might have used these abbreviations to speed things up.Incidentally, hackers often use a form of English that is hard to read too, and probably takes longer to write grin check out Google - hacker style for examples.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Phunky - I'm either completely computer illiterate for not knowing what your response is or I am really dense for not getting the joke. If its the latter, I apologize because there's nothing worse than when someone needs a joke explained to them smile.Bendy - Thanks for the insight. I've done stuff like that on IM too occasionally. I just thought it was odd how much it was showing up in this thread.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
l33t = (I think) EliteI rarely use abbrevitions except for maybe:-ppl, 'cos and stuff like WTF, OMG etc.Not sure why though.Thing that confuses me is that it often takes longer to write these than the proper words do. Hmmmmmmmmm

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
|D|-||_||\||<`/ +|-|!|\||<$ |-|33$ (00|_- |\| `/ (

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
NYC, you're so phat smileis there some thing like babelfish i can use to transslate that? it says cool at the end tho...Pere

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Oh my god ... aliens have taken control of NYC...HEY YOU, yes you who are now inside NYC's body : GET OUT OF THERE AND LEAVE HIM ALONE or I'll come and get ya wink::going home after a hard day at work ... wondering if I am not getting a *little* paranoid::

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Okay I checked out the google page. what the hell was all of that? I can't even make out what the page says. I need a basic course in what all this is. BTW is google a search engine, and does it read that way all the time? Because if it does I will never be able to use it. okay I looked at it again, and can make some of it out. But what exactly is all this for, and why do we need this type of thing anyway?------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Yeah, regular old Google.com is a really good search engine, different than the link above.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
NYC that is absolutely awesome...Look closely people, at NYC's post, if you haven't already.It says"Phunky thinks hees coolNYC"But as it is written in a higher form of raversurge, it's very hard to decipher for intelligent people (that's why it was o easy for me to decipher wink )

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Hey Phunky! Amen Bro!I think I like you more and more every day. (even though I still want video wink grin )------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

Page: