Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > how do you do a one-handed weave?

Login/Join to Participate

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
i need full, slow instructions.pretend i am a mentally retarded non-twirler, then try and explain.(i have the worst trouble visualising written explanations)

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Well I can't give step by step instructions cos I just fudge it when I am messing around with 1-handed stuff.Tips, I can give grinI think it is easier to do with shorter poi, so if yours have a bit of length on them, wrap them around your hands.Start with a figure 8 move.Play around with a staff (if you don't all ready), because one-handed stuff in the same direction is similar.The only way I have been able to get a proper weave is to use the edge of my hand as leverage. Almost wrap around my hand and then use the torque from my wrist to whip the poi around.------------------Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?[This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 29 January 2002).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Izabilmember
12 posts

Posted:
I can only do the one hand weave using my tiny finger and my 2nd finger (the one next to the thumb), but some ppl can use tiny and thumb. Keep your hand open and hold your poi only with the fingers you are using (bend those 2 fingers) In the 1 hand weave, your wrist is very important, so you must move it a lot. Also, I don't know how, but I use my fingers as leverage to increase the speed. Don't spin to fast or they will fly away. Hope that helps! smile

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
once you can do the full 360 on each side of your body with a staff (like figure eight, cept you alternate between thumb and little finger leading - if you can do it, you will know what I mean), the one-handed poi weave is the same movement.I find that you have to be aware of what your fingers are doing while you do the move, cuz otherwise you wont be able to keep the 180 spread.Hope this helps.Josh