Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hi y'all!I was wondering what different planes, combinations and positions you can perform the classic 'atom' move where the poi spin at right angles to each other, producing a trail like an atom or saturn.personally i like to spin one vertically behind my head and the other horizontally above my head (like a halo). Some people spin them at a 45 degree angle in front of them.i was thinking there must be ways of maintaining the shape whalst rotating or moving the point of axis - wouldnt that be cool!lemme know what you come up with, any ideas?love Axis

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, my general "atom" move is a butterfly raised over my head, and then i let the poi slow down, so they arent traveling in horizontal planes anymore and they take on the "atom" shape, this also looks really good on your knees and leaning backwards cause then you whole body, ecspecially if youre using longer poi, is surrounded by the trails....[This message has been edited by Whiffle Squeek (edited 27 January 2002).]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
yeah it looks like your in a bubble. For some reason I find it more difficult to do it from a forward butterfly. I mostly use the atom thing in a buttfly combo, but using the reverse butterfly.------------------www.ahh-thepooh.net <>

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
To make it easier, try to move your hand back and forth (like normal) AND a little up and down as well. Pretty much, your hands will be going in small circles instead of just back and forth. This really helps the atom movement.------------------"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever" -Mahatma Ghandi"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage----FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
mmm, ill second the fact that its easier in reverse...

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Over the head one virticalon one Horizontal. switching. so the sphere seems to rotate back on fourth over your head.. It's also pretty easy to shorten up the strings and do it behind the back.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I am not a huge fan of the short strings. Whenever I see people use them they do it just to either amaze people who don't really appreciate harder moves, or to just simply mystify the people on ecstacy. They seem to just do like 3 moves over and over and never turn around cause they'll whack themselves. But if shorter strings are your cup o' tea then more power to ya smile------------------www.ahh-thepooh.net <>

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

Blue Phreakmember
5 posts

Posted:
my presonal fav while doing that move is placing both hands on opposite sides of my temples and it looks like a bubble over me also add more glowsticks of diff colors to ur strings at diff levels along the string n it adds amazingly to the affect

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Hehe auctutally welcome matt you couldn't be more wrong..I'm one of the few attempting to smooth out the transtions from long to short. My chains are alittle over 5 foot and normally wrapped around my hands a few times.

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hey Knagi, sounds good, how exactly do you swap from one had horiz other vert to the other way round, i dont understand?is the atom shape maintained whalst you do this? is the vertical one spun behind your head or in front of your face?I'd sure appreciate some advice!can you explain step by step with direction , timing and position of circles?please?Axis

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
it's a transtion. not a swap. Left hand starts virtical, then slowly bends the angle to horizontal. While the right does the oppisite. Another slow transtion that takes abit of practice is to start with a bf up into an atom then back down with your arms crossed and spinning at your sides. Try and keep it same-time.Just for you welcome matt. Try spinnin 5 foot chains wrapped around your wrists without gripping them with your hands. So every forward spin lengthens the chains and every reverse shortens them.

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
That sounds interesting actually. I have seen that before.. I've seen someone spin long strings with glowsticks before...Do you not use your hands at all and just your wrists? Its kind of neat the way that you can go back and forth between long and short in a matter of seconds. After I said that I hated short strings, I started playing around with them... I think that it looks cool in that you can spin faster and it doesn't look like you exert as much effort. I spun them in front of a mirror...Well, I must say that i will have to think about incorporating longer strings...MATT------------------www.ahh-thepooh.net <>

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
I've been working on shortening the chain (ball chain) whilst spinning. It's not that hard to do while spinning rev at your sides, you just open your hand and wrap them up and grab 'em. Just a little timing... I'm also working on grabbing them while doing a corkscrew, but this takes better timing and more effort, as one hand, depending on which way you're doing it, is harder to do because the timing is 1/2 beat off, and going the wrong way.... smile[This message has been edited by toneman (edited 29 January 2002).]

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Behind the back BF. Starting mid-length going full length then short and back to mid befor moving into the next move.

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Cheers Knagi.I think i get you,so as your LH (vertcal behind head) flattens out your right hand (horizontal above head) also tilts forward - am i rightin thinking that this means your RH circle ends up in front of your head?Oh yeah i use 5foot string loops with glowsticks too! You can get some nice patterns with one short(wrapped round hand) and one long - i am also a big fan of double and triple wraps.I think there may be ways of rotating the atom pattern on another axis eg horizontal like a record player - what do you think -and let me know if i understand you about the other one too!Cheers!Axis

Zoharmember
11 posts

Posted:
here's a really easy atom move which looks better than the ones above the head (if you ask me...): simply move from BTB butterfly to an atom style spin by bending down forward leavin your right hand spinning verticaly and the left horizontaly! the easiest way to come out of it is to a simple backwards spin! ------------------~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Zohar.

Zohar

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
in reference to shortening the chains whilst spinning, i do it all the time, burn the noises and buzzsaws require shorter chains than what usually spin with, so i have to shorten em basically ive found the easiest ways is to go into a reverse butterfly, and just let my chains wrap around my hands, you can also do this in a reverse weave though its a tad more difficult...also a really cool effect involving cahin length is to start off with really short chains in a butterfly, and then let them unwrap till they are full length, its subtle, but really cool in the end, specially when people are like, "wow, it got so big all of a sudden!" (amid snickers from those of us with less than mature minds, i.e. me)

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hey Zohar, are you the Zohar from Pyromainia?If you are i enjoyed seeing your show at the HAC just before xmas. Hope to meet you sometime!Axis(cirque bijou)

Axismember
171 posts

Posted:
Hey wicked!i came up with some new atomic combos!I can now do one poi vertical one horizontal and tilt it forwards 90 degrees and rotate it on a horizontal plane 180 one way, tilt it forwards again rotate it 180 the other way to back where i started. the timings are tricky but possible.I think its an original move, it rules! you can also tilt the horizontal circle 90 degrees either way sideways.Any more ideas anybody?loveAxis