claremember
82 posts

Posted:
mmm.. i tried spinning with 4 poi last night (one handed corkscrews with both hands) and it was the biggest kick. havent had a rush like that in such a long time. theres just fire EVERYWHERE!anyone know of anything else that works with 4 poi, where the 2 in each hand stay at 180 degrees to each other? has anyone worked out how to use more than 4 at once? that's gonna my next big thing, i think.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
cool! i have to go try that!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

SorchaTheFlamingmember
235 posts

Posted:
cool! i have to go try that!!!

Teach tolerance, not competition.
Send food, not bombs.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
There have been fleeting mentions of this, and it has always interested me.Dual butterflies are something I would like to do. The tough bit is getting them started (without someone passing them off) You need to start a one-handed butterfly *with one hand* ( see here for some tips) and be able to keep them going in each hand equally well.I want to have both going with rather short poi then treating each butterfly like a single poi and move my hands like I do now. Mmmm quite a way to go yet!!It certainly works your forearms keeping one-handed stuff going![This message has been edited by Bendy (edited 24 January 2002).]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
i've done some quad chain work before. there is a lot of stuff you can do, but it takes a bit to intuit it. it's like flags or closed fisted double staff; you can't really do flat spins, just differing kinds of figure eights. but you can do those in all planes all around your body. i've only lit up qud chains once, and though it was a rush, there was too much chaos in it for me. it will be a while before i try it agaon seriously. not like i dont have enough to think about anyways.------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
okay so i'm a bit psycho.. i'd done it a few times with glowstick and said heck why not, grabbed a set of short and long chains, lit up and went at it. heheheheh my friend couldn't film it it was so bright(all 4 were 4x2 cathedrals) I've done this a couple times since. Its fun, you can do weave, corckscrew, windmill, butterfly. I can't remember if i wraped all 4 at once, i think i did (on my thigh), that was fun. But yeah.. very chaotic. very scary. very tiring! (handed off 1 set about halfway through each time)if you do it right you can adjust the poi a little so they aren't always right next to eachother and u actually get like 4 patterns not 2 large ones. real fun.wulff

wulff

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I know that someone can do it with six. He only does it with glowsticks, though, no fire. Right now I'm on four, and haven't tried six yer.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
ive been doing 4 poi for about 3 years now, only onehanded butterflies though (old school styles) its cool and there are way more moves that can be done with 4, its just that it takes a lot more coordination, balance and heaps more strength to get to a skill level where they can be done.......... might sound unreasonable to some people..... 4 poi sounds limiting but there has been thousands of years spent thinking out the system.unfortunately ive had to teach myself the things i can do........... a slow process, but things are starting to make more sense to me these daysfull respect to anyone who can do 6, that shits insane!!!!

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
the downer is if they tangle, as both hands are totally full, you need someone else to dash over and help... also, moving from something like a 1-handed-butterfly to a 1-handed-corkscrew... well, how?how do you change the direction of one poi?

Blue Phreakmember
5 posts

Posted:
ya a couple of my friends have dabbled with something similar to what ur describing and one of them actually got pretty good at it he does it with glowsticks and he stalls and wraps like a mad man while doing it and switches hands and all its an impressive site to see i dont know if u use fire only or if u also use glowsticks but if u try glowsticks u should practice some stalls and spins you would blow away competition

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
well the other guys i spin with down here enjoy letting me do a 4 poi set, but i doubt they'd allow me to do 6 at once during a performance.... i'll definately have to start practicing it though. i was gonna do a full burn last night with all 4 lit, but one of them was like okay i'm ready so i handed 2 off frown ahh well such is life.... heheheh anyways yeah.wulff

wulff

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
mmmm... no. dont glowstick.but i might try it.fire with 4 is easier, because theres so much happening you dont have time to see a poi heading towards your face or notice when it hits (it happened a few times (embarassed grin))

Izabilmember
12 posts

Posted:
I never tried spinning with 4, but one thing I have tried and it looks great is spinning 2 pois, but each poi having 2 flames (one in the bottom of the chain and one in the middle). You need realy long chains so it's looks better if you do it standing on something. I tried it standing on 2 strong sticks to extend my legs (In Portugal we call it "andas") and I looked really tall. Like this, each poi will make 2 circles of light, one small and one big.

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
i was gonna try with 6 UNLIT the other night but only one of the 2 guy i asked would lend me their poi.... dunno why not... not like i was gonna light them (seriously... well atleast not without his permission and having done it once to make sure i could wink heheheh)wulff

wulff

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I was watching Ripleys last night and they had this one-legged hola (sp?) dancer. Well, there were a few shots of her spinning poi, all one-handed, and once doubble butterflies.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive