Forums > Social Chat > Working with others!!!

Login/Join to Participate

xLessThanJakexmember
155 posts

Posted:
Hey, just out of curiosity, How many of you have a friend or a relative that you can do your Poi with.If you do then do you think that you learn quicker and more moves than you would on your own.I work on my own unless I go to groups which is very rare. What do any of you do?[This message has been edited by Fire_Sista (edited 02 August 2001).]

Where there is sorrow I seek the Flame - Rumi

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
I am currently teaching a friend. He can do a 2 beat weave now! ...sort of!Not very helpful though. But he says I look cool smile

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

Acidmember
110 posts

Posted:
Heyworking with others is great but i work alone most of the time so i don't know what to tell yapeace , love and fireAcid

life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans John Lennon

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
getting agroup of people together to spin is awesome. You learn from each other and you generate ideas better because you actually get to see what it look like. But of course you need your time to yourself to tweak, but spinning with others will only help, nothurt.Super'------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
During the not so busy months of the year I was able to get together once a month for three months with Peregrine, Nomad, Xaestrel, Galaxie and more recently Mr.Mo_NYC. It was fantastic. Not only did we have fun and develop friendships but I think we learned alot from each other. Our style, moves, techiniques are all so different we couldn't help but learn and share and grow. It has been really great watching Galaxie light up her first few times and really come a long way in her twirling (the excitement she got every time she learned something new was completely infectious). I really loved watching Peregrine embark on her trailing career wink. It was amazing to glowstick for the first time with Nomad in the pitch balck of New Hampshire and work on breathing skills with Xaestrel. Seeing the elation of Mr. Mo do his first burn. All of that is irreplacable. Unfortunately summer months have rendered it hard for us to get together lately but I am hoping (hint, hint grin) those of us left here on the East Side will be able to regroup and share again soon.On the flip side, except for those monthly meetings I am a solitary learner. I definately think it is a boone though. I get to meet with these people once in a awhile, pick up the basics of a move, take it home and practice without any outside influence which then makes that move fit into my style...making it mine own, you know? I like the group dynamic for sharing, learning and Doug from Flambe and I pulled off some interesting doubles moves once, but I like the aloneness to really practice and brand things with my own style.That would be my .02 tongueAlone or together I hope you have fun wink ------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 02 August 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

NYC_not_PKOne Tyred Guy
203 posts

Posted:
Again, I can't seem to get away from people spinning fire! I love it! I walked out of class tonight and on my 1 block walk home I see these two girls spinning fire on my block. I, of course, RAN up my stairs, grabbed my poi, and spun with them.I feel for those of you in isolation. NYC seems to be a hotbed for spinning right now. We've even got cliques within cliques. It's a great place to be a newbie.There was this one snotty girl from upstate who kinda bugged but, luckily, I lost touch with her. wink

PK is a god.. i love the Peeekster.

.:PK:. [poiinthepark founder member]

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing smileSTAY SAFE! hug

harksmember
7 posts

Posted:
yep the poi are fantastic! in new zealand i use a poi toa, which is a workout type poi- quite large with a long rope upto 6/7 mtrs (20 ft) long and a heavy head.we do all kinds of 'wrap'(no not the music), its our term and alot of others around this big beautiful twirling world for the moves.Found a good way to learn is to pair up and create some type of competition e.g. do a 2minute 'wrap' where you have to do x no. of moves= say 2 snake bites, 8 body wraps and 2 variables on the rope length. hey this is awesomely exciting stuff aye!