Bdazemember
8 posts

Posted:
Ive been having trouble getting down smooth wraps. whenever i try them they slow down so much that it doesnt flow. and also reversals. is it just me or do they just look plain un professional. If im missing something, or im just totaly off, let me know. thanx

beeing shot sixteen times is no way to die, falling 68 stories out of a blim flying over the super bowl while on fire now thats the way i wanna go.

Charlymember
68 posts

Posted:
I can do wraps smoothly on my right arm but not my left.For me, it's all about keeping the momentum going so the chains don't stop and tangle!I often move the arm being wrapped in a circle a little to help the momentum keep going. Have you tried that?~*Charly*~www.cabiri.org

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I find that after a wrap if I kinda pull the chains off my arm/leg/whatever it gives them a little pop that keeps the speed up.*shrug* works for me.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
tis all in the timing. Keep up the practice, I'm sure you will see what I mean. You can do wraps fast or slow, and keep them looking smooth. Its all about how you flow through your technicques.Try getting them smooth at low speeds, and then speed it up.Josh

NoNoymember
10 posts

Posted:
when i do my wraps, i don't acutally wrap all of it around the part that i'm wraping it. To me it is just a bounce rather than a wrap.

I don't dance, i let the music dance me.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
wrap=wrapbounce=bounce=2 different moves needed to do that!i have the same problem on arm wraps, on butterflys wrap from reverse with right first then left now your going forwards i find this way for wrapping i am not so good at looks a lil messy but in time and with practice it will get there. to me the only thing that makes a wrap messy is the way you come out of the move and what moves will follow on from that. once you get that then maybe it wont be messy, because simply as you are wrapping it moves on its own with the only thing you can do with it is to pull it back so how can that be messy? see my point? I'm just gonna stick to learning moves that go in and moves that go out of any wrap legs arm shoulders left arms/legs, right arms/legs..both and so on..there is so many that you can do and so much time that your going to spend on such messyness! i wish you all luck.PK

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Its really all a matter of Practice. Wraps aren't really difficult moves, in comparison to say the 5-beat weave, but like with anything else really all I can say is the more you do it the better you'll get at it.------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
I can only do wraps on my legs... -.-

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Lots of things affect the speed and fluidity of a wrap. Everything from the physical mechanics of the poi (weight, length, chain type) to the amount that you wrap. For a quick wrap only wrap a half or a full rotation around the body part. For a longer one, wrap once or twice...Some wraps I like to do quick (or only work quick!)... some flow better for me when done slowly.Again, thanks to the "56+ wrap" boyz for everything I know. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
can someone explain to me what a handcuff wrap is? Do i need to go buy a set of handcuffs?

^_-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
handcuff wrap;From butterfly where both poi/stix wrap at the same time around your wrists. When the poi/stix are totally wrapped, it looks like you are kinda handcuffed. Looks especially cool BTB.This is a move I'm sure everyone does at least once while learning the buttefly. The hard part is to get the poi/stix to unwind properly smileMyst (Oceanside) does this move beautifully.I cant do it.I think the trick would be to do it slightly out of time.This is also a bit of a dangerous one for fire, cuz the poi could tangle while wrapped around both your wrists and you dont have a free hand to untangle them with...NOT GOOD.Josh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dunno what it's called but I've seen that wrap done with the poi going in the same direction, wrapping your closed (praying) hands (wrapping then unwrapping)... it's an awesome move... When I've seen it done with fire guys use welding gloves. In front, on each side, behind the head, looks cool. Of which I can do none. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
We also use bounce=recoil and wrap= wrapjust so you know.you can also wrap around your open hands when you open up from a weave and go back into the weave, unwinding them, coming out of it normal again, sort of like a two beat weave. I also like a hand cuff wrap where you only use one poi. do a butterfly, then keep your wrists close together and wrap one poi so it travels around both wrists and winds all the way around them. it unwinds and you are doing a weave! cool!

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

RaVeRxSurGemember
18 posts

Posted:
LOL NYC you poi newb.... the one where they go same direciton and unwind in NYC we call it the handcuff wrap from a weave... NYC are you really from NYC... cuz i know i am and u sure don't sound like u are man.... down here in NYC we have wraps u guyz would bow down to.... lol you guyz are going crazy over onli behind the back handcuff... anwyayz i'll try to send malcolm a video before may 31 of the performance me and my friends are going to do from NYC... by the way.... "NYC"... go to club exit... they'll own u there lol.... i have to admit though a lot of people down here aren't fluent in the xtra beat stuff and the very long string twirling which I was once into... the latest styles down here in the club has been all wrapping... like full blown wrapping variations transition from wrapping to twirling and back.... takes a lot of practice and pain.... currently i'm working on behind the back bicep wrap.... another words u have to bring your hands way way way way way up behind ur back and keep them there and the strings will bounce from bicep to bicep BEHIND THE BACK.. i know onli two people who kan do it.... i doubt anybody on this site will want to do it bad enough to get it to work as well because it hurts A LOT.... well hopefully some people know what i'm talking about when i say bicep wrap.... its not rising sun wrap where both go same direcion... although my friend got a couple beats of it behind the back pretti nice so soon we'll have behind the back rising sun wrap... lol itz the craziest thing possible in raving in my opinion... anyway bicep wrap is where they go same direction and alternate between right hand wrapping around top of left bicep and bottom of it and left hand wrapping around bottom of left bicep and on top of it... creating a infinite bicep combo.... anywayz i'll tri to send in the video of a the kraji wrapping we do down here in NYC.... and "NYC"... please actually go to some clubz and learn the wraps... don't tell me how u were all surprised to see people doing handcuff wrap from weeaves where they twirl same direction.... we owned that 2 years ago lol... anywayz practice practice learn and learn... and by the way guyz... don't feel overconfident about yourselves... there is a lot out there that you don't know yet... especially the wrapping transitions and combos that you need to master... and try wrapping.... to me words don't mean anything anymore... after a while u get so complex u can't describe the wrapping transitions from twirling and the new complex stuff... this site onli offers the basics... you gotta go out and socialize to learn the newest stuff... and there is always new stuff... everyone is isolated to a few signature moves like in NZ people sometimes stop after they get the 5beats and never have even heard of this whole new fast wrapping style whereas in NYC people are ignorant towards xtra beats and long string raving/poiing

-RaVeR SurGe

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
you make me laugh raver surge lol.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
RaVeRxSurGe, I'm not sure why you're singleing me out. I never claimed to be anything or anybody. I don't "Represent NYC"... I'm a simple old guy. I don't club much. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm the worst fire spinner of my posse. I've got NO desire to compete with anyone, ever.I did go to Exit a few times (probably my favorite club now that Twilo is RIP.) The guys spinning there were amazing and did some amazing wraps. All of my NYC firefriends are friendly and warm and we spin mostly as a social gathering rather than to get better or be the best. I enjoy talking about it with people on this board and have even made some close (and very close) friends because of it.I'm a fair weather, weekend firespinner who does it if and when I feel like it. It seems like you were looking for a challenge. Sorry to disappoint you.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
So far I've found two places in one post where you contradicted youself surge.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cant make her mind up can she!cant wait to see this video.. so you going to pay for our copies? or will we have to spend our money, and slate you to death over a forum! that sounds fair to me anyway. and what is the point in getting so complex that you cant and do not know what you are doing and how to explain things to others? there is no point in my books because others can not learn these hot new moves that you speak of, and the point of part of this meassage board is that you can post detailed descriptions of new moves and maybe links to pics or video feeds so we can all learn or actually see what it is you are going on about. a double behind the back bicep wrap probably means nothing to new people on HOP. so be a little patient and not so eager to make out your the best and every one else is s**t compared to you.we do this for fun, some as a profession amongst other things. And not all of us can go to club exit in NYC as i my self am in sheffield england where the scene for spinning poi is one of if not the biggest in the north of england and i can not name one person that tries to compete in any way to be better than anyone else. PK

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
Wow.. RaverSurge, that doesn't sound like the philosophy a lot of my raver friends subscribe to. PLURPeace Love Unity Respect.Sounds like a bunch of egomaniacal ranting :|-Orin

Once I cut my hand, but the wound was not part of me.
Now I'm a man, there's a wound at the heart of me.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Jeez!! I'm *this* close to starting a "Slating Raver Surge" thread. The only thing holding me back is respect and I'm not that bitchy (and a Mod would probably close it down)My technique for wrapping is just a quick pull on the chain as soon as it's wrapped so it doesn't stay still for too long (I usually use fire). I agree with Charly about arm wraps, small circles with your arms to keep momentum going.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
ROFLSome people here seem to have a LOT of free time to waste on being aggressive for no reason to people they don't even know...LOL

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
(i love the smell of freshly deflated ego in the morning..)nobody mentioned that how well wraps go also depends on what kind of chain you have on your (fire) poi. I have had annoying big chain for a while which sucks for wrapping so i dont really do it...its not comfortable and its too heavy to unwrap very well. just upgraded to ball chain yesterday which feels much different, its lighter, and works much better for wrapping and is more comfortable for doing things like burn-the-nose where you have to wrap the chain around your hand to make it short enough to do inside moves.. by reversal do you mean a stall? because for those to work you have to follow through more completely with your hand and arm along the length of the chain to pull the momentum out of it slowly and smoothly so it doesnt end up flopping jerkily at the apex of the swing.just a thought...Pere

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
Hey guys, making personal attacks on people isn't going to help anything. I think Raverxsurge has some important points, but lots of HoPers aren't very open to those points because Raverxsurge sounds a little hostile. Nobody's perfect, its all good. I have never actually seen a wrap, which makes it hard to learn from the simple explanations posted up, but after tonight where, before reading any posts about wraps, I decided it was time to start learning something completly different, and then reading online about wraps, I know it is time I start learning this new division of poi. Does anyone know about any other category of poi? Spinning, wrapping, _______? I would *love* to see you spin Raverxsurge, I personally think I would like wrap-heavy spinning w/ short strings better than my long and flowing 4 beat 360s that I use now. Do you or your friends have a digital camera, so that you can make some movies and u/l maybe? Well, I'm off to read that wrap post (with the huge list of different wraps...). Later guys, have a great week! -john

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
good point tallicaburton, people probably should take a hint from raverxsurge and learn some wicked-wraping, but (she?) seems to come off over-agressive and somewhat abrasive. That attitude seem to be turning people off. Maybe that is just the way she talks though...might not be ment as angry. Of course I could be wrong.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
"don't feel overconfident about yourselves" said Mr Surge."Mr Kettle, I do believe you're black." said Mr Pot