Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Speed of Learning tricks...

Login/Join to Participate

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
I am just wondering, at what rate do you generally tend to learn tricks? I've been spinning poi only for a little bit... But I'm wondering, how long practising would it take on average for someone to learn a butterfly, weave, one handed butterfly etc? I just want to know some targets for me to set, I wanna practice, but it's too damn cold!!! frownCheersStu

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
why not pratice indoors, i generaly only practice with fire poi once i have some new moves sorted out with practice poi.not forgeting that a performance with practice poi can go on for as long as you have the ability and knowledge of moves, fire poi limit you with time and if you practice a lot with fire you can consume serious amounts of fuel, burn out your equipment and formost injure your self if you dont have those moves down.so going back to the question..the more you practice the quicker you will pick up new moves..i and most of the people i spin with practice every night for as long as we can and meet up and have a group session and teach each other new moves or get an idea of a new move so we can go home and try it out. Or even just try to figure new ones out as they come. the more basic moves you learn will determin what moves you can then advance to next like corkscrew to a 3 or 4 beat corkscrew..but dont forget with learning those butterfly moves, you then have to learn them backwards too..then you will start to feel that you areadvanceing some where in the world of poi. There is no rush, all those moves that make you go wow "i wanna learn that" will come in time, it doesnt take much to figure them out once you have the basic's there to play with, you will soon be on your way.PK

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
You know it really doesn't matter how fast you progress just as long as you do. And, actually, the longer you spend learning a spicific trick the better you will end up being later. So maybe take the time to polish all of your tricks before you move on. This way you won't have to go back later and fix all the sloppy parts of your routine.Also, pay attention to your screw up's. I've learned more moves from watching how I fuck up than I have watching other people do the tricks well.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
I got my Poi last week and I was able to do a basic butterfly in about 5 minutes, 3 beat weave in about 10 more. One handed weave the 3rd time I tried it, but only for about 5 beats. I need to work one that one a lot moreNow, this does not mean that they're up to performance quality. It just means that I can do the move when I want to and keep them going until I get tired. It does not mean that I've got them working with tight little wrist movements and very little arm movement.I'd say just go and practice and learn it as fast as you learn it. Why set a goal of "I have to learn the 3 beat weave in 15 minutes"? Like rock climbing getting to the top isn't really the goal, it's the journey it takes to get there that's important. Practicing Poi is fun. Don't sweat how long it takes.One more piece of free advice. Back in my juggling days we use to say "Never end on a drop". In other words, when it's time to take a break don't practice until you drop and then stop. You're just teaching yourself to stop when you mess up. Instead, juggle, or spin, until you're ready to take a break and then YOU end the session. If you drop (or your poi crash) then do something with your poi such that you decide when they stop instead of letting a crash stop you.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
You got the rest of your life to learn dude..!! The flow of energy in you when you learn, in every sense of the word, will cease or slow down if try to force it. You have to find that point within you where the flow is at its optimum level.. + a tiny little bit extra during the learning stage (which *is* the rest of your life). So, in effect, you use your energy at the most efficient rate possible. A similar analagy I like to use sometimes is as such..Your driving a car along the flat in perfect conditions..You have your foot on the accelarator *just* hard enough so the engine is running a fraction over the tick-over rate.. The car will keep going using gas at the most economic rate.If you ease off just a fraction the car will slow down and will never reach your destination.. and vice-versa, if you put your foot down, you will go faster but you may run out of fuel before you get there. In either scenario.. niether the hare or the tortoise win. Kinda hard to explain, but you have to be somewhere in-between.Treat your body like the finely tuned machine that it is and it will perform well. That includes your mind. Think too much and you become mentally tired; would you not agree..?Another point which I personally feel is one of *the* most important.. is to get the basics right before you start trying clever stuff.. (especially if you're using fire)Simple turning exercises (no weaves or any other trickery) from front to back; left to right etc etc are essential in my view. They form the basic building blocks of nearly ALL the moves you will ever do, and if you can get them near perfect, you're set. Another point worth mentioning I feel, the importance of wich depends on how serious you take your swinging, is about setting yourself goals and objectives. (In this case; new moves)If you concentrate on them too much whilst youre learning, the preconceptions and expectation will sub-conciously distract you and only slow you down.Having said all that, theres nothing wrong with setting goals in your normal thinking state; I set myself goals all the time, *but* adhere as best I can to what Ive just mentioned when Im actually practicing new moves. Sorry to ramble.. but this is precisely the sort of thing I am currently writing a book on at the moment. Hope its been a help to you and anyone else wondering the same thing. smile------------------Kato[This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 17 January 2002).][This message has been edited by Mushinkato (edited 17 January 2002).]

Kato

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
KATO hits the spot..i allways have to be relaxed in both mind and body before i even pick up my poi to learn or even just spin.And thinking about a new move definitly alters your state of mind and can just get you stressed out over it and you feel like you just cant do it at all. learn from mistakes as i would agree with DRU there you can learn new moves in the "FUCK UPS" too like those TTN's where one poi ends up missing the cross over and wraps around the arm...wow new move! grin just remember and learn from any mistakes.POI is a life time of learning there are no goals just to spin and be happy do the moves that you can do with ease and feel good doing it, new moves come and go. you could make a list of moves out and tick them off as you do learn soming new thats what i do but i never rush into learning new moves because i end up getting stressed out with them and probably because of my job which is strenuous and tireing so i leave my learning to the late hours of the night once i have had time to relax and chill out revitalise my mind and body, maybe just soming simple like playing with my coons fer a bit then go let loose with my poi. one thing: today whilst i was at work (had nothing to go in for today so i took my poi as i do every day) was messing around on the clubs main dance floor with my beaming poi, all lights turned off and some nice bouncy ska on my radio, mid way through a routine where i was doing a side faceing front to back weave (poi spining outwards either side not going out infront as normal) i pulled my arms up above my head and without realising did a 4 beat windmill that i was trying to figure out a few days ago, wow just with out thinking as soon as it happened i realised what i had just done and thought wow sometimes you just dont have to think about learning new moves they just happen, so i thought i should share my mishap with you and mention the above message, good luck with the way of the poi.PKthis message will make a new move for you,happy and unstressful spinning. grin

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
quote:
Another point which I personally feel is one of *the* most important.. is to get the basics right before you start trying clever stuff.. (especially if you're using fire)Simple turning exercises (no weaves or any other trickery) from front to back; left to right etc etc are essential in my view. They form the basic building blocks of nearly ALL the moves you will ever do, and if you can get them near perfect, you're set.
That is So True! I was working on turns last night and I bopped myself in the back of the head so many times. I think a really good and consistent low turn is way harder to learn than a 3 beat weave.So my 3 beat wave is coming right along now. I can keep my wrist together and I can feel that I'm not using as much energy to swing the Poi around. But learning a tuck turn, low turn, and high turn to the right AND to the left is certainly harder.But it's so much fun that it doesn't matter. smileBTW, I've found that I love going outside at night with no lights, just the ambient light from the house, and spinning. It's quiet, it's peaceful, there's no-body watching my mistakes, and I can mentally focus.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

Spin Doctormember
34 posts

Posted:
Thanks fore your advice guys! Yeahm reasonw hy I can't practise indoors is because there's not enough room in my house, and when i go to school the common room is basically a greenhouse, and someone got barred from it for holding a ball! So Spinning Poi inside it isn't exactly the most sensible of ideas if I want to carry on using it! (The poi won't break, but teachers never understand this type of thing!)I'm learning VERY slowly, currently I have been practising on and off, I've managed to get a fairly good butterfly going both forwards and backwards, and I can do a giant butterfly. smile Rather chuffed with that, my friend who got me into poi showed me his 'butterfly' which was, amusing... Especially when he tried to do a giant butterfly..ALso I can do a bit of a cack-handed weave, I need to get the technique sorted (the over, under, out thing) so i can start doing 3, 4 or 5 beat weaves. smileAlso, I got photographed with my poi a couple of days ago! A mate of mine was taking photos for his A/S Photography of people, so wanted some pix of me spinning. grin I'll see if I can get copies and upload them somewhere for y'all to have a ganders (and laugh probably! :eek smileAnyway, thanks for being supportive!CheersStu

Imagine something witty or profound was here.

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Has anyone tried practicing in pitch darkness.. or even your eyes shut..?? Providing youre pretty confident youre not going to decapitate someone or smash the family crystal.. I personally find it quite relaxing. You tend to focus more on the feeling than anything else. Like Bruce Lee said... need I quote..??Dru.. Lucky you... its too damn cold to do that comfortably here !!PK.. Lucky you... having a HUGE dancefloor to practice on !!Somethings just sprung to mind.. I have friend that spins like a bat out of hell.. smacking himself all over again and again until he flukes the move. He keeps doing that until he can keep it going; and slowly but surely slows it down and refines into a nice smooth move.Just goes to show how different we all are and how our perspectives on 'how' to do something vary so much.------------------Kato

Kato

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
did i see your friend at your house at the weekend kato, he sounds familiar! grintry try try again..........PKsome mad fast spinning going on there!

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I dont know what you're talking about PK..?? wink------------------Kato

Kato

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
Mushinkato - couldn't agree more with the whole eyes shut thing. As well as it being relaxing and kinda trance-like at times it really gets me in tune with the feel of the moves I'm doing as opposed to seeing what my poi/hands are up to. That way when I spin a wider mix of moves (in front of people or whatever) I can let myself sink in time with the music and my body takes over. Practicing eyes-shut seems to make me much more comfy, fluid and relaxed even when I've got an audience.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
ps. I don't spin fast cos....well......I tend to beat myself into oblivion if i try smile...

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
i tend to go through spurts of learning moves, like recently, i just got turning behind the back, horizontal butterfly, wrapping from butterfly to weave and back again, and alternate side to side butterflyand i had just gone thorugh a period of about a month where i didnt get one new move, so i feel good right now...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!