redmow80member
11 posts

Posted:
i would have to say that one of my long term goals in the use of poi (or whatever you want to call them) is to encorporate acrobatic flips into a routine. i have seen it done once and i was astounded. what agility and control and bueaty.i know all of us have gotten into perdicaments while spinning and the only way that would have gotten you out of that would be to fling your body in the general direction that the poi are going and then to land and start afresh. i have felt this many times and have almost tried. the need for floor matting is too great though. i figure once i have attained some good fall mats i'll start giving it a shot.out of curiosity is there anybody here who has succeeded in what i just now described??or has tried??pat aka redmow spinspinspin

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
https://www.truckandautowares.com/hiutang/moves/index.html
is a breakdancing site but has flips and stuff. I too need much matting. I sprained my wrist yesterday trying out stuff that I'm not trained in. Damn fool that I am.

Just ignore me. Everyone else does.

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
I got that addy off the Staff move boards. Doing it with a staff, which remains rigid would be a lot easier than with poi considering that the arms do a hell of a lot of the work when flipping, and your arms would have to be doing exactly the right thing to do the move.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
I wanna learn that thing where you run up the wall and flip off the wall (back flip - not "the bird")

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i havent done much with poi, and not really by myself. but try doing stuff with two people. my buddy runs up my back when i duck and does a front flip while spinning...

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
oh yeah another thing that is good, not a move, but a way to get familiar with flips. have a spotter, someone that can help your rotation if you are not going to mnake it all the way around. that way you get used to what it feels like.an exercise i remember doing a long time ago was to have one person getting ready to do a backflip, and the other person standing behind that person with their arms against their backs.basicall what you try to do is start a back flip and the other person blocks you from actually spinning your body. it gets you used to bringing your legs the correct way. you want to try and touch your nees to your face and make yur face look as far back as possible...

anyone got a light?

TheGrynygoggmember
47 posts

Posted:
I just worked out why I haven't been able to do this stuff. I have no friends.Damn!

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I got as far as doing jumping 360 & 720 degree pirouettes whilst spinning.. thats fun. You gotta get the angles spot on or they dont tend to work so well. Havnt tried flipping yet, but when the weather gets a little warmer here in GB, it'll be down to the park to bewilder innocent bystanders with a bunch of Jet Li stlye poi action..!! CANT WAIT smile------------------Kato

Kato

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I find it surprisingly hard to do other stuff while spinning. Swinging on a swing, Doing the "running man" or "charlestons" with your feet, even playing the harmonica (which I've actually gotten decent at) is surprisingly hard while spinning. It LOOKS like it should be easy... frownGood luck with that flippy stuff. I'm gonna save my knees/arms/neck and keep both feet on the ground. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Orinmember
36 posts

Posted:
https://www.truckandautowares.com/hiutang/moves/trickz_n_flipz/gainer.htm!
Ohmygod..

Once I cut my hand, but the wound was not part of me.
Now I'm a man, there's a wound at the heart of me.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
One tip for acrobatic twirling i can add is that the sense of timing and vector (direction of velocity - to use a nerdy context =/ ) is the biggest hurdle for said shennanigans.dunno how much painful experimenting you all have, but pois only allow me xtra tricks under the leg in the air. Mid-air wraps ignite my balls =(. Staff has HEEEPs more scope for acrobatics cos it's easier to get out of the way if not thrown out of the way altogether. Handsprings, barrel jumps are where I focus mid-air staff tricks.In the words of the prophet Ali-G, "Flip 'er over!..."------------------"The door is a jar!"- Bill Hicks

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
Saddest part is i'm a breakdancer who also does poi. And chainwhip and staff and about anything else that can kill me. I've tried doing breakdance windmills while swinging a poi (chainwhip style) over and below when i can. Bad thing is I can't do airtracks yet.Note: if ya don't know what windmill or airtracks are, go to www.breakdance.com and watch the vids, don't read the descriptions

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The problem I've found with trying any type of flip is that I can't get enough height. I end up hitting my poi on the floor, I think I need some kind of mini trampoline, (or a friend to use as a step to jump from).I'm still pretty new to this though, so practice will probably help!