Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > what is the speed of my glowstick?

Login/Join to Participate

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
does anyone know of any device that can measure the speed of the glowsticks on strings? people tell me that they've never seen anyone spin so fast as me. it makes me wonder just how fast am going.......

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
I have no idea... Now I am going to invent the "Poi and Glowstick portable speedometer" It will be black light reactive and I can connect pacifier and candy jewlery pouches. This is going to be the newest pop-raver thing to come up since glow-in-the-dark string and $6.00 pacifiers at raves.

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
It's called a radar gun. Apparently they have sonar ones now too. They measure the speed of all sorts of stuff with them: Baseballs, cars, slapshots, and on, and on. I don't see why it wouldn't work for glow sticks.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
How long are your strings and how many revs per second are you doing?Length of your strings (let's use centimeters but inches, feet, or cubits will still work) times 2 times 3.14159 is the distance your glow sticks go in one rev.That number times revs per second is cm/second which is speed.It's probably best to have someone time how many revolutions you do in ten seconds to get a more accurate rate of spin. Let's say your strings are 30cm long and in 10 seconds you do 17 revolutions. You're speed would be this:30 * 2 * 3.14159 = 188.50 cmThat's how far your glowsticks moved in one revolution. Now, if you did 17 revolutions in 10 seconds then you are doing 1.7 revs per second so in one second you're doing 188.5 * 1.7 = 320.45 cm/secFrom that you can convert to Miles per hour, Kilometers/hour or cubits per millenium.1 mile per hour is
code:
1 mile 24944.88 cm-------- = --------1 hour 3600 seconds
so
code:
320.45cm 3600 seconds-------- * --------1 second 24944.88 cm
seconds and cm cancel out leaving miles per hour and in this example we get46.24 miles per hour !There will be a pop quiz next week and you may expect a problem of this type to be on the mid-term. Any questions winkFor extra credit you may compute the decceleration of a 46 mile per hour poi hitting you in the face. Use F=MA to computer the minimal force in Newtons required to give yourself a black eye.[This message has been edited by Dru Lee Parsec (edited 09 January 2002).]

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
I think I just wet myself laughing...So.. Karate Kid.. you recon you got the fastest glowsticks in the west eh..?? Not that its anything to be hugely proud of... but have you ever managed to break skin with a glowstick ?? I certainly dont recommend it. I did it a couple of months ago and still bear the scar to prove it.Another good [bad] one you shouldnt try... start swinging your sticks (unlit) and crack yourself so hard on the cranium they actally start working.. that hurts like hell.Just thought.. why not try your light-speed stuff with a pair of beaming poi's and see how long you remain conscious..??Just had another thought... you have to pay for your medical treatment in the good old US of A dont you ??? Perhaps the beaming poi idea isnt so good.------------------Kato

Kato

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
kato, kato, kato, i have much more than speed. i don't know the names of all the tricks i do, i just do them (body, arm, and leg wraps, behind the back moves, running jumps, 360 degree turns, etc, etc.) i am sure all of us spinners are quite familiar with bruises. i've had a few that were the exact shape of a glowstick, but i won't sit here and brag about how often i hit myself, because it isn't very often at all. maybe you can brag about that with someone else who is down at your level.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
settle down boys!kato does have a point, if you hit your self fast with something heavy and hard chances are youll come off 2nd best. the hardest ive been hit is by someone throwing my kwilla poi at my face -broken cheek bone- then this so called 'friend' (he's one of my best mates) then started attacking me with his taiaha, of course this was all in good fun and wounds heal ect. i think getting hit is more a reflection on your skill level and how hard youre pushing yourself (unless someone kindly does it for you). but there is a lot more than speed to doing the poi (as you say K.K) i would be quite interested to know how fast you spin, but the thing i wonder is why do you want to know?. not meaning to imply to much but you seem pretty confident that you spin real fast, will knowing the exact rpm' s do that much for you?.plus what do you have to compare it to? ive never heard of anyone else doing a velocity measurment. kato why do you seem to take such umbridge at someone who wants to know how far they can push their abilities? if youve got your own jet li style youre stoked with then it shouldnt really matter, aye?*gently pokes k's ribs* i dont think jet li would be drawing his own blood with a glow stick....... he he thats my 2 cents anyway![This message has been edited by jonathan (edited 15 January 2002).][This message has been edited by jonathan (edited 15 January 2002).]

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
So Karate Kid, Have you measured your poi and timed how many revolutions you do in 10 seconds? I'm interested in finding out how fast those poi are going. Post the numbers and I'll do the math if you want.Should be interesting.

For a good Prime, call:29819592777931214269172453467810429868925511217482600306406141434158089

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
KIDO"! u aint seen kato spin then huh maybe you should come over this saturday for poi in the park 2.and what speed are your glowsticks?would you like me reply from 1)while i am on pills?2)while i am stoned?3)wizzin?4)on copious amounts of ACID?5)midway through a TTN fountain?let me know and i may be able to come with an answer next time! Your question was a little vague from the start.PK"with love and fire"

DIANNAmember
55 posts

Posted:
why does it matter everyone says your the fastest out of your friends so it's not like ur gonna prove it to any one

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
10 seconds? I'm not sure anybody could count that high that fast. Maybe a two second count, or a stop watch might work better. I think ten seconds is way to long. How about slow motion video though?

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Mushinkatomember
164 posts

Posted:
Oh Karate Kid,, Im so sorry. Please, I was feeling a little out of character that day and got a little flippant.. Back me up on this one PK... am I the type to poke fun at people..??Believe me when I say that from a technical point of view, I have wondered just how fast the glowsticks spin too. I think it would be fascinating to know just for the sheer hell of it.Jonathan, I dont take umbridge at all. If anything, I think pushing your skills to the limits sometimes is commendable; so long as its for the right reasons. Like I said, and I know its no excuse, I think I was just being a little flippant and I apologise unreservedly if any offence has been taken.Friends KK.. ??ps: I hit myself all the timepps: Im off to the confession box------------------Kato

Kato

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
yeah KATO i would say that is totaly out of charater for you.But on a lighter note, not every one would "get" out english humor at times supose its just an english thing that we are born n bred with..."dirty humor" is all ways good and only us english dirt bags would probably understand..KK dont take kato the wrong way, he is a nice bloke, very intelectual and an all out friendly guy, probably one of the longest friends i've had in sheffield since i moved here 3 years ago. even though i spent many hours looking up at him whilst on a drugs binge at headcharge as he walked by as he used to be the resident "door man" i think is the term they prefere to be called now adays.right blabba blabba...outPKpeace love and poi

Dru Lee Parsecmember
78 posts

Posted:
quote:
10 seconds? I'm not sure anybody could count that high that fast
How about counting 20 spins with a stop watch? or counting GO!-2-3-4 2-2-3-4 3-2-3-4 4-2-3-4 STOP!That would give 17 revs in a set time. It doesn't actually matter how many revs or how many seconds. I just thought that counting only for 1 second wouldn't be accurate enough so you should count over some longer period of time.I'm interested to hear how fast these poi are moving. I know I'm a mellow soul who spins just fast enough to keep the string tight at the top of my loops. wink

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
sweet broi was thinking maybe we could all post revolution counts for maybe a 5 beatweave forwards and then one backwards over a 10 second duration and see how we all shape up!we could even branch out into standardised wieght categories!!errmmm well perhaps not, *shakes head at how ludicrous this could quickly become* im off for some field work today out in the forest so im getting excited and trying to bring this thread up to a scientifically publishable standardi think dru was on the right track, howz this for a title'interactions between weight, velocity, density and cranial trauma resulting from blunt object impact: estimations of minimun poiing speed and weight required to make you hold your head and go FUCK!!!!! that tickles...........

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
*laughs herself of her chair at fantastic title for her next physics thesis*I so completely am gonna have to follow this up next term...........

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
laughing my ass off at: quote:'interactions between weight, velocity, density and cranial trauma resulting from blunt object impact: estimations of minimun poiing speed and weight required to make you hold your head and go FUCK!!!!! that tickles...........

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
i was just playing the game of "shit talking", that's all. wow, i got a math calculation. CRAZY!! well, one reason i ask about the speed is that when i am stringing with the build-up of the song being played at the rave, i start slow, and speed up with the song until the climax - and then i just blow up with speed. i know it must be pretty fast because people start cheering me on (as usual.) but you can only go fast for so short of a time. then i go on to my tricks and acrobatic moves. actually, in person i do not seem confident. i don't show it. i'm cool with everybody. one day i am going to a UK rave because raves here in phoenix suck ass. plus i have almost no competition. i know there has gotta be some bad-ass stringers in the uk. plus there are better dj's. i would LOVE to see other stringers that are better than me, since there is always someone better. it's great to see someone else's style. peace............

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Speed can be impressive I'll admit to that smileDru - I like your style and I haven't even seen it! Ain't nothin like spinning fire as slow as you possibly can!! I have no idea what it looks like to an outsider but it feels like you move in slo-mo.My non-fire poi are about 95cm from tip-to-tip. Rather long. They are quite hefty too with a 10cm steel bolt through a tennis ball (with additional padding to prevent cracked skull syndrome). These two factors together let me get some real slow spinning happening and I can put in very little effort to keep them moving (so much momentum) so my whole style can slow right down and I feel like a thick gooey liquid.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

firestormmember
28 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't it be easier to count your revs by setting a metronome to 60 and testing how many full revs you can get in per beat? The question I have regarding speed is how much force can those ball chains take that everyone like's so much? I've had a chain fail on me before.F=(m(v*v))/r <--formula for centrepital force

^_-