TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I've been trying to learn a Mexican wave where it goes on for over 4 side switches. However, my strings cross around the second one.I can do the alternating butterfly, and i have already searched this topic. I found something about my problem, but the responses don't make sense to me.

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I can do it with staffs. I used to get some clashing a certain points. I found if I had one staff going slightly faster (only a tiny bit) at the points where it usually crashed I overcame the problem. Might work with poi. But poi is a different creature......

Meh

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
Is there a basic reason why staff/poi crashes?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
? I'm not sure what you mean? Are you having trouble with the standard mexican wave? (which is just butterflies above your head)What are these 4 side switches you speak of? Are you trying to do a 4 beat mexican wave? Because that makes no sense (to count beats in alternating butterfly). A 4 beat CORKSCREW looks like a mexican wave but the poi follow eachother in a corkscrew and oppose eachother in mexican wave...I'm confused but am trying to help...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

tonemanmember
195 posts

Posted:
if i know what you're talking about, you do the mex wave and then move your arms as far left, then right as possible? kinda like doing the weave with 5 cirles, two on the right one in front and two on the left?So in essence what you are talking about is standing in one place and doing the mex wave to your right and left like you would be turning but with your feet still (your arms are almost straight out)? if so, it helps to keep one hand slightly lower... wow. all that mess and i think i confused myself!!! wink

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh dear god... here we go again. winkYou are talking about a fountain.It's not a mexican wave, it's follow the sun or windmill...Search fountains (which is weave, windmill, rev. weave)It's not possible to go from weave to mexican wave without a change of one poi's direction.I'm pretty sure you're trying to do a fountain with a mexican wave in it which is not possible.It's important to be sure that you know the difference between a mexican wave (or alternating butterfly moves) and windmill (or corkscrew moves) as they LOOK the same but are COMPLETELY different to get into/out of/do. I'm pretty sure that's your problem... Learn a fountain and you'll be on your way. smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
maybe i should clarify again or maybe i just don't get the mexican waveIt's not a fountain-i am 99.999% sure of that. The four just means continuous.Isn't a mexican wave where you start out doing butterfly then say...your right hand goes back (behind your head), one turn for both strings, switch right hand to front and left hand to back one circle, etc.If it isn't-well give me advice on how to do that.Sorry about my ambiguity

GlowWormBRONZE Member
84 posts

Posted:
Hey, wat you just described IS the mexian wave. On the button. Im not sure wat else you wanted to know...! smilePeace out------------------ColesId love to be a glow-wormCuz a glow-worm's never glumIt's hard to be downheartedWhen a light shines out your bum

Coles
Id love to be a glow-worm
Cuz a glow-worm's never glum
It's hard to be downhearted
When a light shines out your bum

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
TK,AHHHHHHHHH! I finally understand your question! I would call you a crackhead if I knew you better so I'll just be polite.You don't mean:"4 side switches"you mean"for side switches"I'm sittin' here all ******* day long trying to figure out how you're doing a mexican wave with four side switches and first I'm thinkin' he's gotta mean "four beat weave" but then I'm thinkin' since nobody really does a four beat but me it's gotta be a four beat corkscrew since many people confuse windmills (corkscrews) and mexican waves (butterfly)... and then I'm thinkin' he must be talking about the fountain which you can do with 4 beats if you're really cool and then I got totally confused...ALAS THIS IS THE DANGER OF USING KEWL INTERNET SLANG YOU PUNK! winkSo you really would like to know how to do the mexican wave for side switches and not "4 side switches"!AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!That's easy. You learn it the same way you learn any poi move. Try it with JUST your right hand, then try it with JUST your left. Then do alternate butterflies and try doing ONE rotation of your right hand behind your back and quickly bring it back to alternating butterflies in front. Then try the same with your left. Once you can do alternating butterflies with each hand, bring it above your shoulder. Done.If there's anything that you don't get from that, let me know. And no more cool internet slang. smile Keep on spinnin'

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
<---- l33t h4X0r------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
NYC-good that you understand, but if you checked above first, i already know how to do alternating butterfly, i can do it well, i have done absolutely everything you said...except i still can't do a mexican wave because the strings cross when i try to alternate the sides

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
|D|-||_||\||Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

blue_flameBRONZE Member
33 posts

Posted:
Maybe try to put your arms farther away from each other...you seem to understand how to do the move but if the strings are crossing then maybe you are crossing the poi too close to each other...when I do it my hands go over my shoulders, so they are farely far apart.Hope this helps, I have never had this problem though...Chris

Defy Gravity!

redmow80member
11 posts

Posted:
i was under the impression that the mexican wave was a single beat, upstroke in front with your left hand, downstroke in back with your right hand. so as both poi are spinning in oposite directions. each time the poi come up to head level you switch right to front left to back, left to front right to back. and so on. the best way to learn this is to keep the poi in the same position, spinning in oposite directions, one in front and one in back, note: if you start out with your left hand doing a down stroke and back hand doing an up stroke you'll find yourself doing a windmill. now when you switch from front to back it's like you're scooping into front or back like a scoop of ice cream.one of my biggest drawbacks to this particular move was training my left hand to go where i wanted it and since you're scooping into transitions, when i went with left hand from back to front, the poi would chong me going right up into my neather regions. like i was scooping up a big portion of testicle. anyway watch out for that and get comfotable before doing the transitions.hope this helped somepat aka redmow- on of the cool things about this move is you can make it as many beats as you want spinspinspin