Page: ...
DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd ask if anyone had any Signature move combo's, you know, the combinations you do in a routine that you consider to be the most showy. The ones you think only you do(but secretly know darn well that there's got to be someone else out there that does them too. Can't wait to here about the awesome moves you all do.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night[This message has been edited by DocLiquid (edited 28 December 2001).]

Let us Light up the Night

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
Its kind of primitive, but I also haven't been doing poi for too long.. but I love to start with a reverse weave and as you turn to do the forward weave you go into the windmill for a few rotations then you complete your turn from before and do the forward weave.. then keep turning and doing it all over again... The faster you go and keep doing the combo the cooler it looks. I find that the more you turn and face different people the better. I find that people kind of stand in one spot and don't move around at all.. if you work the crowd you get better attention... smileNow that i am on the topic of continuous turning i'll see if i can explain this one...I start with a normal butterfly and then go into the mexican wave. As my right poi is behind me, i keep it there and then turn to the right. Now I have the poi going in opposite directions. I turn 90 degrees again and find myself in the reverse butterfly. Now you can do all of your BTB butterfly and stuff. If you start doing a mexican wave in the same reverse direction you can keep one behind your back and turn again and then go back into the regular forward butterfly by going into the thread and needle move. Phew! That is prob really confusing.. if you want clarity send me an email.. I taught my friend to do this combo and it looks pretty cool...mivillma@nhc.eduMatt

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I have two. Like you said, they aren't difficult or whatever but I think only I do them (don't appear on either COL2 videos.)1) Double poi jump into overhead butterfly.2) Double poi leg wrap from weave into reverse weave or vice versaOf course now everyones going to steal them wink------------------https://welcome.to/thehugbubble The Mug Shot Gallery MSN Poi Community Words to memerise, words hypnotise, words make my mouth exercise.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
I do my Signature move with glowsticks(using 20 inch strings and 6 inch sticks at each end, different colors of course)I begin by doing a one handed reverse butterfly, then toss both sticks in the air, as they spiral down I grab the other color sticks with both hands and find myself in a forward butterfly, I then throw into a mexican wave with my left hand, wrap my right poi around my left leg, as it unwraps, my left hand comes back in front of me causing my right poi to wrap under my left arm now, at the same time I wrap my left poi around my left leg, both poi unwrap into a reverse weave when I turn 90 degrees to the right, then I finish the combo by throwing into a BTB 360. I came up with the combo by combining my favorite One handed, BTB, and wrap move. Once you get past the initial toss and catch it's not hard at all, and it's definitely a crowd pleaser.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

The Welcome Mattmember
193 posts

Posted:
what is a poi jump? that sounds fun...now that I think of it does anyone know what this fountain move is that I keep reading about? It sounds very common but i don't think i have ever seen it.Matt

I dreamt that I ate a 10 pound marshmellow and then when I woke up, my pillow was gone!

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
good question, poi jump?Come on ppl, I know you all have some seriously whacked out combos out there, let's here it.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

Skeksmember
11 posts

Posted:
My signature move is hard to describe...Its like a BTB weave, but the poi pass on the inside of my arms instead of the outside.Its two bicycles BTB (the burn-the-nose buzzsaw loop to the right, and then to the left). I still don't know what this looks like because I've never seen anyone else do it. Ever tried to watch yourself in the mirror while doing a BTB? =(------------------!You've just been Skeked!

!You've just been Skeked!

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
wow I'll have to try both of these guys. Sounds awesome. :PA fountain is where you go: weave, rev weave, windmill, weave (and repeat)a poi jump would be where you jump up I guess. :P I can think of a move I do where I jump up and swing both poi between my legs while in the air, and wrap on both legs, then when I land I'm doing an over-the-head butterfly. :PPLURRCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
My siggnature move would have to be my "doing staff with a dislocated elbow routine", not the most amazing thing to watch froma technical point of view, but I haven't met anypone else who can do it and chooses to do it in public...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Charles, you are officially crazy. Does that hurt at all?!?!?!CRD, I do a jump similar to that, but a little more like the butterfly star jump to BTH butterfly. Keep it up.Skeks, that's amazing! Behind the back Buzzsaw? What size chain are you using?Those are some really good moves and combos guys, keep it coming.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
I just came across this site from a whip group i am on i must say nice moves peoplei do the same moves as a poi with whips but we use differnt names for the moves so it will be hard for me to explain my best movebut if some knows what a florentine is they can translate this post but i use a forward rolling floerntine turn it up into a vertial rolling florentine that allows me to go into a reverse rolling florentinelooks great allows you to change directions without stoping i showed it too some kid with glow sticks on a string at a fetish club once he about fell over then did about a 5 min routine with them.. so if no one minds i want to stick around this group for a while so i can steal some moves lol Riz

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
hey riz, which club? there's a couple in providence, and i've been doing poi moves with my rubberized floggers... ;-)ps - best poi move, mirror corkscrew ( doing a corkscrew in alternate spinning directions at the same time up and down ) into alternate spinning - low wave, weave, above the head weave while leaning back on my knees into lay back butterfly lay back mirror corkscrew usually when i get up from that i do a corkscrew and kick my leg to my head while passing the right poi under my legstaff - i suck don't ask ;-)------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Welcome to HOP Riz. I'm from Tampa as well...We hold regular meets(fire, glowstick, and streamer) down at Pier 60 every other week or so. Feel free to email me for more information.PLURRCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Psylentz, the moves you listed are surely incredible, but...you neglected to list how you are transisting into them(ie, mirror corkscrew-to low wave) there has to be some sort of transition there, whether it be a wrap or what not, I mean come on now, to do that transition you MUST change the direction of one of the poi; it seems that one of us is confused, perhaps it's me.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
maybe the mirror corkscrew is in actuallity a horizontal mexican wave.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 01 January 2002).]

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
didn't we have this discussion already ;-)it isn't because both arms move up at the SAME TIME so it looks like i'm flapping my arms like an idiot and trying to keep my poi from thwackin me in the nogging on the way up and the "other" area on the way downoh yah - and my siggy staff move, doing an arm wrap, letting the staff hit the ground behind me , and kicking it back forwards with my heelbest poi move, mirror corkscrew ( doing a corkscrew in alternate spinning directions at the same time up and down ) into alternate spinning - low wave, weave, above the head weave while leaning back on my knees into lay back butterfly lay back mirror corkscrew usually when i get up from that i do a corkscrew and kick my leg to my head while passing the right poi under my legalright - i've pulled this off ONCE with witnesses here goes...do a horizontal mexican wave but lift both arms up and down at the same time trying not to hit poi together... THEN because both poi are spinning in one direction, at the bottom of the mirror corkscrew (or same time horizontal mexican wave, whatever) let your left hand stay down and spin the poi in one direction - then when your right hand comes down, spin it in the opposite direction, i prefer left hand spinning backwards, right hand forward from there it's easy to do a low wave, when they are both at the bottom of the circles, then you just go right into the wave, from the low wave, when your left hand is in front and you come back with your right, put your right OVER the left to start the weave, then when doing the weave lean back, get onto your knees, then before your poi start to hit the ground while your leaning back, do a forward circle from the weave and go into a butterfly while COMPLETELY on your back, now while your starting to get up (because the M. Corkscrew needs to go over your head) keep doing the butterfly until your poi are to their respective sides, meaning while spinning the butterfly, your right poi is on the right side of it's circle, and the left is on the left, so that you can separate, then just lift your arms up and start doing figure eights to do the mirror corkscrew, with your left hand do a single rotation of a spin on one side to get the poi going the SAME direction as the right hand and do a corkscrew, simply lift your leg as the poi comes down and towards you to make the corkscrew go under it... if you are thoroughly confused, email me, and i'll try to tape itpsy------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~[This message has been edited by Psylentz (edited 01 January 2002).]

Skeksmember
11 posts

Posted:
Whoa, behind the back buzzsaw? Can't do that yet, but I better start practicing huh...------------------!You've just been Skeked!

!You've just been Skeked!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
eesh, after reading these i feel incredibly standard, eesh, ummm, what can i do thats somewhat special, hmmm, the one combo i can do well that my poi partner cant is BTB butterfly, pulled in front to a reverse butterfly, then lifted over the head while turning to a reverse butterfly which i then lift over my head and get a nice atom configuration going, and i try to do that all in one fluid motion, actually pretty simple, but thats about it, but im moving on to double one handed butterfly moves which should be fun...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Psylentzi dont get up your way much most of the clubs i perform in are in south fl you might want to try using floggers with fake hair "neon green" is the best under black lights you will prob have to make them but it is easy yop can find the hair at any big hair supply house ot at alot of alt clothing shops try taking them to a rave :: laughs:::the girls really love the sensual touch they produce if you need help making them feel free to email me

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
ye I do a little somethingi use different names for moves than the ones on this site so I hope you understand,,,I use strings with a glowstick attatched to both ends, first I hold both in one hand and do a crossover with one hand, pull of a couple of wraps ith both inb one hand, then I pass the glowsticks from one hand to the other behing my back with both in one hand, I flip one stick so they face opposite eachother, and pull off a one handed chase (I think its called a weave on this site...)another move I do is i do a butterfly over my head but turn the stix away from eachother so it forms and X and kinda looks like one of those atom things...thats about the extent of my uhhh,,,signature moves...------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

Phuhzzzie Wuhzzzie the Pumpkin Kingmember
141 posts

Posted:
I've just started staff twirling but due to my previous (self taught) acrobatic style I have my own signature move which I call The MatrixFrom a vertical helicopter I lean back as low as Keanu Reeves does in the scene where he dodges bullets. Requires lots of ab strength or you'll ruin your back.

A wise man once said to me, Hey! You! Get out of my wardrobe! and in a way, I guess he was right.

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
PW,I do that same move only with poi. While doing a butterfly, i put it into a horizontal plane over my head then just simply bend backwards while keeping the poi swinging. I'll often bend my knees at this point and drop to the ground on my back, laying flat with the horizontal BF still spinning, then I get up, do a double body wrap then wrap the right poi again to put myself into a triple corkscrew.Keep the combos coming, you guys are coming up with some really showy moves.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
hey Riz,what i have are floggers made out of flourescent pink rubber kinda koosh material - my g/f loves them smile i know where i can get hair extensions, just that i'd have to coat them or weight them somehow - email me if yas want at joshlatric@aol.com------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
I've been working on body wraps lately and I have found that when combined with martial art techniques they tend to look very impressive.Triple corkscrew to upper body wrap, then reverse body wrap with your left poi actually wrapping on your right arm on the other side of your body, now step forward with your right foot, and wrap each poi around the respectively opposite ankle, as they unwrap kneel and turn 180 degrees and wrap the poi around your midsection, then turn and stand to your right as they unwrap, now you are back into corkscrew, while the corkscrew is in it's lowest position with your left arm on the bottom, do a left turn 360 while moving your arms up and changing the position of them so that the left is on top, this will put you into position for a reverse weave but instead throw it behind your back and finish with a BTB 180 to the right then 360 to the left.If I need to explain this any further I would be glad to, I call this combo: The Ninja Body Wrap to Flip Turn 360PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

TomSILVER Member
135 posts

Posted:
Just wondered if anyone else moves forward weave above their head and then leans backwards like PW says.Oh, and weave lying on the ground (you need short strings though!) and BTB butterfly while kneeling in a kinda foetal position (head near knees, but arms behind you obviously). Both of these look really nice cos the fire/glowsticks and the ground make up a kinda really small cage that you're inside.Still working on the combos...

Maximusmember
250 posts

Posted:
I do a similar lean back, but I do a weave, going into the position with the weave above me.I find it helps to have one foot pointed straight forward and the back foot in the "T" position.After I have made upside down eye-contact with the people behind me, I straighten up keeping the weave above me. Final position is standing straight with the weave evolving into a corkscrew right above my head. Not really a sig move--everybody in my troupe does a version of it.I do come up off the ground in my floor staff routine in a back lean position, too, but I have to put one hand back to push up off the ground. I do a finger twirl straight overhead as I come up.Maximusp.s. I thought the Matrix was where you jumped up in the air, tucked up your feet, spread out your arms and just hovered there.

Belrockmember
33 posts

Posted:
hmmm...I'd have to say a few things...one is where i do the butterfuly while laying on my back on the ground, then stick my right leg up in the air and rap both strings around that leg, then the left poi wraps around my right arm, then then right poi wraps around my left arm and then i immediatly get on my knees and do an atom behind my back and slowly come up, still doing the atom above my head, then bring it down back into the weave. (this trick not being done with fire poi of course) (and i got me doing this on a video, for all you skeptical people hehe, so if i find out how to upload the shit, i'll post it up)and i don't know if it would be considered a trick, but i'm known for my speed while doing poi. I try to keep it going real fast, because then it just looks like a ring flowing around my body.

Fire Demon of the Dwarven world...I am Belrock

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
grin grin grinFirst off I will say that my style involves *constantly* transitioning between moves. I very rarely hold anything. Having said that, all of these are one constant transition.Tiger Fountain Windmill:From a forward weave, this starts like a fountain. First, throw the weave to the right into two beats of a reverse weave in a crouching position (this is also stretched as far out to the right as possible, kind of leaned into on one leg), then back to the front for a full windmill (two beats in front, two in back and then back to front) stretched high up in the air (At this point, my left leg comes off the ground, kind of like a crane), and on the downswing in front, I tuck down into the weave to the right and push hard off my left leg to do a 3/4 spin to the left, going from the first beats of the forward weave through 2 beats reverse, and back to forward. I jump up and left from my original position into the spin, so the full rotation is in the air, and come down on my right leg and finish the last 90 degrees pivoting on it, ending in a crouching position with one leg extended, and the poi behind me in a tuck-turn-style weave. The effect is like a martial arts reverse windmill kick, but with poi. I cover a large area of dance floor with this one, but it gets one hell of a reaction! shockedThe Pyre:This one starts from an overhand Bfly (from forward circles) The last downbeat of this is beat 'One'. I throw the Bfly over my shoulders and separate it so my arms are outstretched. Arms are horizontal, and the circles are separated. <-This is beat 'Two'. On the upswing, I wrap the chains once to get them short enough for a "Bouncing Sun." With the bfly still behind me, I bring my arms up to 45 degree angles with the ground, so the circles now intersect, but are still two different circles. That was beat 'Three'. And beat 'Four' is still behind me. It is a Behind The Head BF as high as you can reach. Bring it back in front of your body into a regular BF or a 'Bouncing Sun' (I will hit that in a second). From that I will do a double handcuff BF wrap into an immediate underhand low wave. There are a couple of variations of this that I do.Bouncing Sun:Simply a butterfly, just stick your elbows out, and pull your hands to your chest. Then jerk back on the strings to get the BF to bounce from one Bicep to the other. The effect is the top half of a BF. I haven't been able to do just the bottom half yet. Can't keep the momentum going.I'll give credit for this. This is also called a BF-to-double-tricep-wrap, and was posted by Pozee, I believe. The only difference in what I do is keep it going for a couple of beats. This one is by far my favorite!!! It can only truly be done with glowies (you'll see why) I can do a quick version of the end with fire, but it singes my whiskers.Johnny Bravo!!! grinStart by facing to the left of whoever you want to face and get the most effect out of this. You'll see why. This one starts from a few rotations of a reverse weave. Do a tuckturn to the right but as a forward weave, just two beats. And rotate your body and crouch to the right as you do it. Your legs should cross over themselves-this is where the energy for the push comes from. This is all done very quick. Jump high and fast into a 180 spin to the left. The poi will go from the tuck weave through 2 beats of reverse (at mid-height), to a high stretched windmill (front, back and front, all getting progressively higher, or just in front, because it gets to be a lot of rotations sometimes)(this is where you will land)back down through a forward weave from the right side to the left. Once I land, I continue to pivot with my weight on my left leg another 90 degrees to the left (My feet stay planted, but my body twists to face left) On the downswing to the left, wrap both strings underneath and back over the top of your left bicep, and stall them there. At this point, my feet have come to rest with my weight resting on my left leg (slightly bent) and my right leg stretched out behind me. My left elbow sticks out horizontally to sort of 'present' the poi. Once you have the audiences attention (they will notice everything went haywire and then came to a stop), slowly bend your head to the left, and kiss the poi! shocked grin IT DRIVES 'EM WILD!!! For anyone who has ever played Street Fighter, this looks like a Sho-ryuken that Ryu does. It is kind of a crouching, twisting punch for the sky. My fav!!!Please let me know if anyone needs any of these further clarified. I'm more than happy to share. Hope you enjoy!------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---Got home last night, and realized some logistical errors that I had made in positioning, so I fixed them. Hard to go through the motions at a desk! tongue[This message has been edited by glowshow (edited 25 January 2002).]

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Glowshow Excellent!Thank you for the descriptions. I like your style, i hope you got a chance to read mine as well, i won't steal your style, but I will surely play on it a little bit. Keep the moves coming.Combos, Combos, CombosPLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Nice! Yes I did. Tried the ninja one out last night. That is a bitch to get right! But nice!Glad you liked them! You could copy them perfectly if you like. I like to teach, and they say immitation is the highest form of flattery, right? grin------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

GlOwStIcKpRiNcEsSmember
3 posts

Posted:
Doc,your awesome, I hope someday I'll be able to be as good as you. Oh yeah,your a hottie too!------------------*P.L.U.R.*Live by it*

*P.L.U.R.*Live by it*

Page: ...