Page:
DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Just thought I'd ask if anyone had any Signature move combo's, you know, the combinations you do in a routine that you consider to be the most showy. The ones you think only you do(but secretly know darn well that there's got to be someone else out there that does them too. Can't wait to here about the awesome moves you all do.PLUHRDOC------------------Let us Light up the Night[This message has been edited by DocLiquid (edited 28 December 2001).]

Let us Light up the Night

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
No, in fact they should not, at least not officially. It's just my personal preference to call a certain combo by a name in order for me to distinguish it from a similar move that i do during a routine, that way with the names in my head, I can break down my routine a little more easily, although I rarely do this at all anymore. Now I just listen to the music and let it flow through me as I dance. In naming the combo's that i do and listing them in this thread, I had no intention for them to be accepted as official names, as you said the list of combos would be endless. By "Signature Move" I merely wanted to know what combo's you find yourself doing most often that are either flashy, difficult, a finale, or just plain FEEL good to pull off, so phunky, do you have any(without names of course)

Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it and I will no longer list the name of the combo, as to avoid confusion. After all I must respect my elders, and you are my elder, granted only by a couple of weeks, but hey what can you do. BTW, where do you live?

PLUR
DOC

[ 11 April 2002, 10:53: Message edited by: DocLiquid ]

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Wow, look at that. You do break things down into separate moves... (Just busting your balls!)

I agree with Doc, the naming of these combos is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they have been named something else before or that they are named at all. Not many of them are going to leave this screen and actually get used by another spinner. Yes, there are infinite combinations out there that could be named, but most of them are mundane.

My point? Yes this thread should stay open! Hells yeah! Why? Because it has a purpose. Besides the fact that it gives people new and fresh ideas about how to transition between moves, it inspires a little bit of confidence in the people who post their replies. They get their moment in the sun for sharing a particular move or combo that they like enough to claim as their "signature move." It's fun, and it challenges people to think outside the so-called "box" of conventional poi wisdom that says the alternate B-fly combo and the fountain are the only combos out there.

I like it. It should stay. There have been some cool ideas to come out of this so far. And besides, it gives everyone one particular thread to go to when they want to tell everyone about something new they just got down pat. Isn't the splitting of threads enough of a problem as it is? No harm, no foul.

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Shinomori:
Phunky seems to be very bothered by the naming part. It just a thread, don't gotta take it so personal. Big deal if people like naming things. Doesn't mean they are taking credit really. Not like they are saying "I made this move up and everyone should give me credit and da da da". Calm your nipples, it's just a online thread.
I never had it in mind to close this thread for whatever reason. It's great to see people sharing moves and ideas. I've been spinning long enough to know that a standardized way of explaning moves is important for people to take spinning seriously. All through my life i've learned various sports/hobbies and with certain sports/hobbies there is such a segergation on what to call and do a certain move. There could be 10 names to do 1 thing. If we stick to breaking down moves it will be the same to explain to someone learning in Canada as in China. There is a technical aspect to spinning and if we keep it simple as possible, it will be easier to learn and explain.

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Agreed, Phunky, agreed.

Yet I have yet to see you post your own. I am very interested in knowing what you like to do with moves and combining them.

*awaits to be amazed*

Much Respect
DOC

[ 11 April 2002, 16:51: Message edited by: DocLiquid ]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Sorry if this comes off arrogant, but i don't do combos. Because everything goes together, and it all goes together nicely. What i've found is that i take a lot of things i do in spinning for granted. To me, i don't even think of it as move wise. When i spin, in my head it doesn't go, weave can go into this, or that. It's more I can put my hand there and turn around a couple of times and i know it won't hit me. It's more like spinning off instinct. Because of that, i'm not as technical as i used to be spinning. Though i konw it looks thousand times better now then it ever used to be (yah video camera). There are some moves where i don't practice enough that get me thinking on how to do it, but that's about it. Spinning is a dance. When you spin infront of an audience, the circles of light will only entertain them for so long. It's not the tricks that will entertain the longest it's you applying those moves to your dance that will keep the audience satisfied. Though if you can maintain a high technical level while applying it to your dance then your way ahead of the game.

Anyways, if you do a search on all of my previous posts in the moves secion, i'm sure you'll dig up some goodies that people have forgotten about from last year. They're old to me, but i'm sure now that the skill level has risen considerably over the last year people will have a new appreciation for them (Not many people responded to them when i posted them last year). My number is 468 I believe. Read up on "The circle" post i did. It's more poi theory than move wise but still good reading

I can't say spinning is the top priority in my head anymore, i used to think about it 24/7. I wouldn't even have to spin to come up with new stuff. I'm more into improving my dancing skills right now (popping mostly).

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Well, I can see your point phunky, but I'm gonna have to side with everyone else on this. Most people when they name their move(at least in this thread) break down the move right then and there. If they name it, it's prolly only for sake of keeping things simpler. And anyway, it's not like I suddenly described a series of 5 wraps as the "CrazyRaverWrap" or something lol (=

Is all good bro..

PLURR
ÇrÐ

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
crazyraverwrap?

I've been doing that forever
Stop jocking my stylez!!!

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
AAAHHHHH...light-heartedness once again. Thank you CRD, and that Crazyraverwrap is my favorite bro.

Now it seems it is the time for another Signature Move, back to the roots so to speak...

I call this one #!@$&&$*$@$*...(explitive deleted)

Start with forward Butterfly, (glowsticks on both ends being different in color) with right poi wrap over left arm and under right arm, on the recoil swing the left poi to behind and turn to your left as youbring your right around and Colorchange over your left arm then with other color in your hand wrap around your left arm again to put you into a reverse BF, but right after that recoil throw into reverse low wave instead and turn 180 degrees to your right into a forward low wave and neck wrap colorchange with your left poi and throw back into forward BF now with the opposite color you started with but in your original position.

ENJOY

PLUR
DOC

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Basically that is a four wrap combo (two being colorchanges) with no extra beats inbetween as you make two 180's and you switch between several basic moves. Honestly it is easy and fairly basic(other than the colorchanges), but it is very fun for both the audience and the dancer!

Sorry, i just had to make this post cause it's the 69th post on this thread. Heheh.

PLUR
DOC

[ 12 April 2002, 15:55: Message edited by: DocLiquid ]

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
hehe Well Doc..I was following you on that one till the neck wrap. Damn you and those neck wraps. hehe That's a nice ass little combo there..would be nicer if I could remember it without having to look at the screen twenty times.. heh

I'll see what I can do about posting up some moves tonight/tomorrow..

PLURR
Max

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Perhaps a little oldschool, but it's still a cool move when done quickly.

Once again, a nameless combo:

Behind the back forward weave, 180 to the right to reverse BTB weave, wrap right poi over left arm, recoil and do a 90 degree turn to the right into BTB butterfly, wrap right poi under left arm, recoil and turn 90 degrees to the right again. Now your back to BTB forward weave. Repeat this as fast as you can and you will be doing a 360 BTB whil rapidly changing from weave to Butterfly. A very nice move to watch.

PLUR
DOC

[ 14 April 2002, 14:44: Message edited by: DocLiquid ]

Shinomorimember
24 posts

Posted:
LOL these are just moves that you do in the front but you're putting BTB in front of the names. YAY

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
duh, you can say that about all btb moves lol.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Yup...pretty much. (=

Rvs Btfly..bring right arm behind you and wrap on left leg stuck out behind you. A the same time bring your left hand behind you and wrap on your right arm. Immediately do a high wave..wrap right poi on left arm and turn 90o to your right into a rvs weave. Go one-handed and do a 360 doing 2-bt weaves. Then do a one-handed corkscrew and jump over both poi. On the very next swing around wrap both poi around your left side and go two-handed again. This should put you into a rvs corkscrew.

wow..that was a long one..not too complicated, but it was all on the-fly at 2:30am so gimme a break.

PLURR
Max

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Very nice CRD, I should practice one-handed moves more often. My poi are far too short to jump over or I would try that combo!

And yes, basically every move that can be done in front of you can be done behind you, lately I've been practicing a lot of BTB wraps if you couldn't tell by my more recent combos. Now I'm going to focus on BTB colorchanging wraps.

If anyone has any BTB leg wraps that they do I would be very greatful to hear them, that's one thing I am lacking in. Thanks, and keep up the good work!

PLUR
DOC

xtremravr...was here..member
337 posts

Posted:
alright i kinda borrowed this one from phunky...older thread i think..staryt with a forward bf, then turn around 180* to the left keeping your right hand in the same place so when turning it goes btb, allthe while bringing you left hand around to cletethe btb bf, then (this is where phunky's part comes in, doing a btb rev bf, start to lean fwd, as the bf becomes a btb horizontal bf do a couple of beats then bring it down and wrap on the backside of your legs, as they recoil bring the poi back in front to be doing a horizontal fwd bf!! then if you stay leaned oveo behind the head bf on a horizontal plane, or you can wrap from the front and go back into the btb horizontal bf!! all of which is very cool!!

now i must thank Phunky, the grand master spinner!! for all of his..err that post that he made with this move on it!! lol have fun kids!!

Peace Luv Uni-t Respect Responsa-what?!?! Xtrem

Traceredmember
71 posts

Posted:
Mine is a bit more theatrical than skilled, but what the hey.
As I am nearing the end of a burn, I pull myself into just about any combo that will bring me into the butterfly. From here, I go one handed. I hold the one handed butterfly as I dig around in one of my pockets with the other hand, finally coming up with my pack of cigarettes. I pull one out of the pack, put it in my mouth, and put the pack back into my pocket (if you smoke, I am sure you can do this onehanded already ). Now I pull out a lighter from my pocket, and try to light the cigarette. Unfortunately, its dead (either planted a dead lighter in my pocket or pretend that my lighter is dead). I pitch it over my shoulder onto the ground looking disgruntled. If I timed it right, this has all taken about 20 seconds, and the poi are almost out. So, I simply bring the poi up to the cig. and light off them. I haven't worked it out how to light my cigarette from two fully lit, spinning poi yet, and I'm a little worried about burning my face off, so I usually just light my smoke and spin the poi a couple revolutions real fast to put them out. Its a fun bit of drama.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind - Mahatma Gandhi

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
hehehe nice combo with the cig.. (= Try doing that..putting the cig in yer mouth.. Then doing a buzzsaw in front of you..if yer careful you should be able to pull it off. Almost makes me wish I was a smoker just so I could do it. hehe

My combo...variation of previous post:
Start by doing a butterfly weave...on each side rather than going back to the middle beat, do a double wrap on your arm on that side. So it looks like this:
to the left side do a fwd btfly
between your arms do the middle btfly beat
to the right side do a rvs btfly
wrap both poi on right bicept
to the right side fo a fwd btfly
between your arms do the middle btfly beat
to the left side do a rvs btfly
Wrap both poi on left bicept
-repeat-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by XTREMRAVR:
alright i kinda borrowed this one from phunky...older thread i think..staryt with a forward bf, then turn around 180* to the left keeping your right hand in the same place so when turning it goes btb, allthe while bringing you left hand around to cletethe btb bf, then (this is where phunky's part comes in, doing a btb rev bf, start to lean fwd, as the bf becomes a btb horizontal bf do a couple of beats then bring it down and wrap on the backside of your legs, as they recoil bring the poi back in front to be doing a horizontal fwd bf!! then if you stay leaned oveo behind the head bf on a horizontal plane, or you can wrap from the front and go back into the btb horizontal bf!! all of which is very cool!!

now i must thank Phunky, the grand master spinner!! for all of his..err that post that he made with this move on it!! lol have fun kids!!

I made up that combo? I don't even remember thinking that up lol. Well now that it's brought to my attention, why not switch it up by starting from a forward horizontal butterfly wrapping it and ending up btb horizontal butterfly.

Or instead of wrapping it from a horizontal butterfly, bring it down and jump over the poi so your arms are behind you and bring them up so it's a btb horizontal butterfly.

I dunno, just some ideas.

[ 25 April 2002, 17:17: Message edited by: p h u n k y ]

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
Yes I"m back! and this has been posted on another thread, but it seems clarification is needed, so here goes:

from a chasing the sun position, as the poi come down, throw your right poi(while using glowstix with different colors on both ends about 24" in lenght altogether) between your legs and let go of it so it spins in the air, now change hand of poi behind you so that left is now in your right hand, with left hand free catch the opposite color of the poi spinning in the air(timing is critical) and colorchange wrap the poi that is now in your right hand around your right leg! You now are spinning the opposite color that you started with, while transitioning between chasing the sun and BF, with a colorchanging wrap and a toss that swithes hands! High difficulty, but very trippy to the audience! Hope you enjoy

PLUR
DOC

carnelian angelmember
31 posts

Posted:
I've seen that one done with fire...it's amazing! keep rokken!

DocLiquidmember
97 posts

Posted:
uhhh...sorry...but that move can't be done with fire. You can't do a colorchanging wrap with fire! OUCH.

PLUR
DOC

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Technically you could... but err, not every desirable...

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
It would just be the colour of your skin that changes...

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
my move is pretty basic but i havent seen any one else do it.. its a turn move.. first learn the low turn while spinning foward turn your body 90 degrees and spin both poi behind your back low then turn another 90 and you should be facing the oppisite direction with the poi spinning backwards
while spinning backwards turn another 90 and spin the poi behind your back over your shoulder almost like chaseing the sun turn another 90 and you will have 360 and should be spinning the poi foward get used to doing those seperately..( you can learn them from the poi lessons page low turn and high turn).. once your comfortable you can do the low turn from a foward weave you have to have the poi as veried as possible not close together after the low turn go directly into the high turn on the same spin and then you can either go back into the weave if your dizy or keep spinning around and around doing low and high turn. its more of a fun trick then diffacult but i dont have any one to help i have to learn all my tricks on my own so screw you

[ 24 May 2002, 09:05: Message edited by: lightbug ]

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
whats a colorchange???

drugs.. rock and roll. bad ass.. vegas hoes.. late night. booty calls.. shiny disco balls!!

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
when your poi consists of two glowsticks of different colors tied together, with one used as a handle, the other as a swining end, and you swap the handle end for the swinging end, thus changing the color of the swining end, looks nasty...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
wait, you swap the handle for the swinging end in the middle of doing tricks???

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes, they do.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

lightbugmember
321 posts

Posted:
do you do a wrap and then let go and grab the other end... some one give me some tips.. that sounds like a trick i would like and i dont know anyone else who spins so i dont get much help
thanks

[ 25 May 2002, 10:17: Message edited by: lightbug ]

Page: