PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
i found something that gets alot of attention on a floor or in front of a crowd is starting off with simple raver glowsticking and just at the right time throwing your poi out and starting, then rewrapping your hands with strings..... just a thoughalso... if yer used to heavy poi, try using two yo-yo's, then wrapping them up and doing a double yo yo routine, when the tricks messes up, you can just use them as poi

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

Neph23BRONZE Member
62 posts

Posted:
I tried dancing with glow stick poi a few nights ago.. Someone at the club had three glowsticks tied to really long strings... I tied myself up in to a glowing knot! had a lot of fun and laughed a lot, but goodness the weight difference and the length really messed me up... good to learn this in my first month of poi though grinI also found that people are quite rude when youre dancing with glow sticks.. they will walk right up to you and stick their hand in while you are swinging... buggers, id like to see them do that when thye are lit on fire! wink[This message has been edited by Neph23 (edited 19 December 2001).]

glowstickspinnamember
1 post

Posted:
I JUST HAD TO REPLY TO THIS, IM NEW HERE BUT IVE BEEN SPINNIN FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW, AND HAVE BEEN A LOYAL VISITOR, I SPIN GLOWSTICKS AT CLUBS ALL THE TIME, AND THE TRICK TO THE DISRESPECTFUL PEOPLE;1. when you have complete control of your weave, you can get really close to someones face without hitting them, spin really hard and fast and they wont know what to do, also everyone else watching gets a kick out of it as well as learning not to disrubt you while you are at work 2. doing a butterfly, raise over your head and sneak up behind the person bothering u and when the time is right throw the butterfly over them so they are stuck in the btf with you, if tthey try to stop it just throw it back up again, that usually shows them that you are more skilled and less disrespectful then them.

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
Ive been spinning glowsticks since august and even though I knew I was good and my friends said I was, when I went to the club a kupple of guyz acted like prikks while I was spinning...four things you could do...1) do what glowstikspinner suggested before2) do a small one handed crossover around both sides of the guyz head,,,itll make him to scared to move anywere and make him look like a retard kuz hell be flinching everytime it goes around his head...3) if you know how to dance with glowsticks without strings, you can pull one of the disses they use on a glowstikker that went before...4) just ignore them kuz theyre saying that s*** just kuz theyre jealous and wish they cud spin like you------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Ok first off. If i'm at a club and i'm spining,,, the dance floor gets packed,,and people get all pissy about me spinning i can understand. They are there to dance on the floor and not watch some kid spin. We take up alot of space. So if i notice people are getting pissed about it,, i'll just wrap the ropes around my hand and do liquid till the floor calms a bit or i find an open space.Doing the stuff that GSspinner ,and Organized said will either A) get you kicked out of the place if security is watching,,or B) get you an ass kicken cause that guy your fuckin with could be with 20 of his freinds that don't like having glowsticks spun right next to their heads.Just because other people are asses doesn't mean you gotta go to their level. Your giving us a bad name.

We are defined by the choices we make

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Personally I have only spun at two diff clubs, both of which I had to go on a stage to spin when the floor was crowded. If the floor was empty like before midnight then it was mine to command. MUHAHAHAHA ohh sorry.Any hoo back to the originaly post. I have yet to do it but my bud Les starts with raver style of glowstick dancin and has the strings already attached. From about 10 feet away it looks as if his hands just seem to get alittle too bendy then you realized whoa he is on strings. Black strings or 550 cord is awesome. ~spelling~[This message has been edited by Raymund Phule (edited 06 January 2002).]

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
where do you get the glowsticks? I live in the middle of nowhere and am therefore quite embarrasingly behind the whole clubbing thing (poor rural me) and just wondering where you get the glowsticks. I do poi but have never tried spinning with glowsticks as I've never had any !!!!HD xx

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
It's called missappropriation of government funds. naw I got the hook up with one of the chicks here at the base store and she lets me pay cash for em instead of having an account but if I run out I buy them at the club. When I get back to San Diego I think I will have to find a manufacturer and try to buy em in bulk. hehe what fun I could have with 1000 glowsticks grin

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
HD, just look around on the web. Glow sticks are insanely popular at the moment and there has to be several places on the web that sell them.------------------If you love something, set it on fire.

Jesus helps me trick people.

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
right guys, i dont know what kinda clubs u spin at, but things are way way different over here. i spin in clubs every time i go, which is at least once a week. in underground hard house/trance clubs people will move out of the way on the dance floor to watch and to give u space to spin. u get respect for it. even if its too packed, i just spin with short string, anything from a foot of string right down to 1/2 an inch. if the dance floor is too packed, sometimes i'll spin else where, in a corner of the bar, in a corridor, etc. even when ive gone to pretty "mainstream" clubs, ive never had any hassle or disrespect. most people love watching. obviously, i know better than to try to spin when there obviously isnt any spacegood suggestions tho, especialy the one about trapping someone in a butterfly. gonna have to try it! another good way to deal with any bastards is to beat them. not as in basebal bats, but as in dance better than them. a bunch of guys that go to one of my regular haunts were saying that spinning mite look fancy, but i only did it coz i couldnt dance. so i took the strings off my glowsticks and made the guys look like idiots. now we're friends and get on well.if u are getting disrespect, id say ignore it, coz its a pretty obvious sign of jealousy, or, find yourself a club with a better crowd.helium dreamer: theres loads of sites which sell glowsticks. if ur ever in london, let me know and i can get u them cheap off a mate of mine.------------------Flame on![This message has been edited by the beard (edited 07 January 2002).]

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
the club i'm at i get the priveledge of having my own stage as long as i'm spinning, unlike the other one i go to - where you get the people that say I'M GOOD LET ME TRY! and end up buzzsawing themselves in the chin...however - the raver dancing mixed with poi is great, and usually at the beginning of the night i get the floor all to my lonesome, it's just harder with staff cause it ain't attached - but hey thems the breaks.. ::rubs his bruise on his head::------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

DaIVIouthmember
2 posts

Posted:
I live in Chi-town and this Club called Industry (owned by a former raver promoter) is generally packed (only 'rave' that can go on past 2am, thank you IL anti-rave laws) and you can buy glowstyx there... but people walk right infront of you! are they stupid?! "hi, my name's matt, im doing a fountian at 100mph+ please walk INTO my path" but people do generally leave a little room, or we make our own circles :-)

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
helium dreamer - I think you should be able to buy them at a fishing store if that helps.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

karate kidmember
24 posts

Posted:
MY TOWN SUCKS ASS! there is but ONE club here that allows stringers. it's called Insomnia. there is this other club that absolutely does not allow strings at all. and the name of that club is Freedom. how can you call your club "Freedom" if you don't allow strings dammit?! they suck. so i have no choice but to hit the raves every week (the only place that has respect for our poi skills.) raves in phoenix aren't that good. but i go because it's all i have.

el beardoBRONZE Member
72 posts

Posted:
ok, i feel so sorry for u guys now that i'm forced to do this:any of u that are into clubbing (preferably trance/hard house), get your asses over to the uk, and I will personaly show u some of the best clubs in the world. theres always space for a coupla people at my place. i mite even start up a charity, to bring poor unfortunate american clubbers to london.i ended up doing this in the summer. thru chance i bumped into an american in a club over here who was on holiday. he and two friends had come to london specificaly for the clubbing, but didnt really know where to go. so, for a week, i tok them round the place, to all the best clubs.now ive just gotta tell my girlfriend that ive invited a bunch of poi people to stay with us...............------------------Flame on!

May your staff spin fast and your poi always miss your balls.

cursemember
3 posts

Posted:
I have been glowsticking on and off and now that I have gotten into it more than ever My arms are sore as hell and I don't know what yo do so I can last longer spinning becasue since I am so sore I have to stop cause they hurt so much any suggestions?

cursemember
3 posts

Posted:
To Helium Dreamer the best place to at least get your hands on glowsticks go to a store that sells first aid kits they should carry them in the kits.

HeliumDreamermember
39 posts

Posted:
beard: I'm up and dow to London all the time so I'll let you know next time i'm there. (you'de better keep your word! smile )

Organized Kaosmember
238 posts

Posted:
curse...my arms hurt too when I started, but the more you do it the stronger your arms get and it doesnt even hurt for me anymore...if you do get muscle pain try putting bengay or something on it...just remember,,,no pain no gain...------------------Do You ever Question Your life? Do You ever wonder Why? Do you ever see in Your dreams, All the castles in the Sky??

Every morning I wake up and hit the ground yawning...

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Try Target or Wal-mart in the automotive and camping sections. Or, seeing as how you so obviously have access to a computer, do a search for glowsticks, lightsticks, or any other term that comes to mind. I believe there are approximately 6 billion sites that sell them. wink tongue j/kAs far as spinning in clubs, if the floor is packed, usually I can get a few feet in a corner. Sometimes I will go out into the middle of a dead crowd (noone dancing-everyone standing and staring-you know the type) and start doing liquid or short strings. As everyone wakes up, they will move back very quickly and you get pretty much as long as you want to bask in the adoring gazes of cracked out e-babies (GOD I LOVE THEM!) And you also solve a problem for the vibe as well-it energizes people to dance again.And for the schmucks that walk into the light-if you can't see it, you deserve to get hit! Usually people will duck down and try to apologize. A simple smile and a "no problem" will get them on their way. If they are a bouncer, apologize and move to a less crowded area. If they are just a tiny-dicked asshole, KEEP SPINNING! And let them know their attempt failed. If they come back spin faster and teach them a lesson. Of course, that is just one of my crackpot ideas, and I am a pretty big dude. Showing them up is most definitely awesome. Hey wait. Haven't we had this discussion before?Anyway, I will get back on topic. I will also wrap my strings back down when I am done sometimes and go back to doing liquid. It's a good way to go out. ------------------I feel more like I do now then I did when I got here.PLUR(RE) ---J---

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~