NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I know there have been a smattering of "doubles poi moves" posted here and there but with the awesome results posted in the 56+ wraps posts I kinda wanted to do the same for doubles moves.The posse has been working on wraping off each other and synchronised stuff but have had trouble getting any doubles moves that didn't look akward and they certainly didn't flow...Any suggestions?(If you do have any, please desribe them completely as they're gonna be twice as difficult to understand!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
oh boy NYC, you really want use to write these moves out again. oi. well i can name off a bunch of moves and if you have any questions of how to do them email me @ grlfrommars14@hotmail.com.~hug of death~back to back weave (crossover,or weave)~reverse weave facing each other (close enough to let them interweave each other)~double butterfly~and all the wrap moves you may aready now.anyone else , feel free to add on to this list. later, bye smile------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
imagination sets in, hmmm...doing the weave where your in time facing each other.(in time meaning when you are on your right side they are on their right side, then left and left and so on) you can do a two person double leg wrap, or one of your arms and their leg.basically like doing a double arm or leg wrap except you both stick out your right leg and wrap on the opposite person.stand back to back doing forward side circles, whoever chooses to be on bottom and "lead" will stick up their thumb and the other person will grab it with their pinky and in then you will be doing a butterfly on both sides with each others poi, from there you can do a number of things. wrap a set of legs at the same time then wrap the other set of legs. bring one butterfly up and over the head to wrap onthe opposite arm once or twice. bring out 2 necks. split the butterfly apart both turn and wrap into your own buttefly or go back together into a reverse butterfly.just visualize it and you can come up with some amazing stuff. but believe me it takes some practice. is that what you are looking for NYC...

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yeah poz... cool. So pretty much I'm gonna die. Got it. I guess the good news is I get to take someone with me... smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I have seen back-to-back alternating butterfly combo (hi-lo wave). Pretty amazing.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
:breaks down into tears at all these poi terms that can't understand:ok ok you guys go ahead and list them, maybe someone else will help explain them to this poor old staffer before he falls to pieces... wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
My best friend and I were messing around with poi for 2 last night..here's what we came up with..some of these the circles of each other's poi arent necessarily inside each other, but from an audiences perspective, the circles are "together"Both facing each other, one person does a foward swing, the other does a horizointal spin so that both of the horizontali are within the vertical poi's circles.Intertwining weaves - you both do weaves facing each other...try to get your wicks as close to each others hands as you can without hitting them.Of course in the infamous double-TTN, where with one set of poi you stand facing each other. One person does air-poi and the other does TTN(both doing TTN). The person not holding anything is to grab from the SAME SIDE. ie..with their left hand they are grabbing the other person's right poi. With a little practice you can quickly pass them back and forth this way.One person facing the audience squatting down doing a buzzsaw, the other standing behind doing a cross between a chasing the sun and a butterfly. (Basically a butterfly with your hands far apart)We tried to get grabbing a butterfly and ALMOST got it..but not quite. It appears like it can be done..you just have to be quick about it. Would be interested to see a one-handed butterfly handoff to only one-hand. smilethat's all I can think of for now..more to come..Once we get a few posted here, I'll put it in nice list format again and repost------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Let's try to post some doubles wraps too while we are thinking about it. I would love to get into doing doubles stuff more. Cmon Poz! Let's hear some creative doubles wraps :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
As the student of wraps I must say that doubles wraps are ten times more numerous than singles ones... Any wrap you can do on yourself, someone next to you can do can wrap as well... from ten different angles. The ones my buds have been working on is the butterfly to rev butterfly wrist wraps. You know, the one where you go butterfly, right wrist wrap w/ left poi, left wrist wrap with right poi and are now going revbutterfly... then repeat to go forward. If you're standing next to someone doing it you can hit THEIR arm while they're doing it to flip back... it's a really nice sequence. I can't do it (yet) but a few of my boys can and it looks right nice... It's also easy to do ankle wraps off other people's ankle. Leg wraps are harder because you really need to lean into them and break your form... It obviously depends on your style as well. "Raver" style wraps look cool hitting quick wraps off themselves and others around them. Slower "fire" style momentum wraps don't have the quick, on every beat, style to hit crazy wraps off others... IMHO.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Gee, Charles, you could go look at the "poi lessons" page for a quick primer on what those names mean.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
CRD, I don't quite understand your description of double TTN ?????? what do you mean by "one person does air poi and the other does TTN" ????what is "air poi" ?NYC, need a "guinea pig" to pracice with ? I volunteer smile question about the hug of death and a few other moves : how disturbing is it in your opinion when the size difference is too big. ? I once did a few moves with A guy twice my size (well..; I might be exagerating a little wink, but he was definitely 40 centimeters taller than me)and we did have a few problemsshine onCassandra[This message has been edited by cassandra (edited 11 December 2001).]

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Cassi... Guinea pigs, ground hogs, what is it with me and roadent/boars? And post your kinky tales on another website, nobody here want to hear about your exotic escapades... winkAlso, your daily American=>French transations:"Air guitar"- When someone pretends to play the guitar while listening to music but doesn't actually have a guitar. Popular among 70's rockers."Air Poi"-derived from Air guitar...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

4,224 posts

Posted:
LOL ! you know the giant meant nothing to me, my little groundhog winkthanks for the explanation about air-things... smileshine onCassandra

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
cassi, for doing the hug of death with a tall guy is not to hard, your arms will be around his waist and his over your shoulders. to get it to that , he does a btf above his head and you do a forward spin, walk towards eachother, you close yours into a btf around his back and he lowers his down around your head. try it that way.------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
NYC was correct. Basically the two people stand facing each other, only one person has a set of poi. The person without poi mimics the hand movements of the person with poi doing Thread the Needle. Then at the appropriate time, the person with no poi grabs them from the person who had them. Once you become comfortable with it, you can hand it back and forth with no beats in the middle. :PPLURRCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

4,224 posts

Posted:
CRD : I don't understand : what does the guy who does air poi actually DO with his won poi. or is it something you can only do with one pair... like a "guest star" wink hmmm... actually not a bad idea to give the other time to refill with kero or something. But it still looks weird, I need to practice that with someone to actually see how it works.GFM : yes, I think the hug of death is quite doable actually, but what about otehr moves. We tried alternate butterfly and it was not that easy cause hima nd I had different momentum due to size of the arms / poi as well, know what I mean ?shine onCassandra

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
cassandra,Yes, that's correct it is to only be done with one set of poi. The other usually stays on the ground. Once I get good at this, I must attempt it with two sets to see if it can be done. I know you can grab a butterfly out of someone's hands if you are quick enough.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
ooohh, this is not a doubles move, more of a 10 to 15 people move. in military drill it is called a ripple or something.if everyone was in a line, or a circle, doing say a butterfly and they are all facing one way, the first persone would do a butterfly wrap on the second persons leg that is outstretched behind them, then with a continuous beat that looks like a ripple, it would go down the line or the circle. i am sure you could do it with any wrap or even a few wraps. it looks awesome with rifles, i can imagine that it would look even better with fire. i will try and post some doubles moves when i get a chance to get back on line. c-yall in a week or two. happy holidays...

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey NYC, you really want something that will kill you? well here is one that i had thought of a long time ago.doing a horozontal butterfly (both of you) one person will wrap the others neck while the other wraps the body. basically one person will be doing butterfly horozontal neck wrap to other persons neck wrap to neck wrap... and the other will be doing body wrap to othere body wrap and so on...

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm... brainstorming on the best way to get me killed. Should I be offended? winkI guess if ya' gotta go it might as well be by fire poi.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
Howdy ho NYC, look who's back on the board, this time all professional and registered.So what's all this talk about me and Alex looking awkward ? I thought the blows to eachothers heads were quite fluid and rather sexy, I kinda got off on it winkAnyways, you left last practice too early to catch our newest thing... Jen and I do a quick skit where we carress Alex with buzzsaws on either side, only to kick him out and do a little carressing of our own, its really quite comical... will show you sunday.seeya's latagabiand fire friends, hoping to hear more doubles moves from you....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Naa, you two actually started looking good after a while. What Chuck and I were working on was awkward as all heck though... doubles wraps. It's just tough to get stuff that flows naturally from your style into doubles style...And yes, I do need much more of you and Jen caressing eachother in my life. wink Not sure if I'll see you Sunday as I gots to get ready for my Parisian Vacation.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Gabimember
3 posts

Posted:
oops.. i didn't realize you and Sir Chuck were working on doubles... I have this problem where I tend to assume everything's about me.. If I don't see you Sunday, have a fantastic and circus-like vacationpeace

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yes pretty girl, it's not ALWAYS ALL about you. winkChuck and I were working on doubles wraps and it mostly consisted of me winceing and sticking out random body parts...And speaking of caresses from pretty girls... I'm not forgetting that you and Jen BOTH owe me a back rub punk... tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LPHmember
20 posts

Posted:
hey all,wassup? wicked ideas smile)was thinking about this next 1 :2 ppl twirling ,facing eachother,1 guy has his poi spinning on his left and right ,and the other guy is doin behind the back butterfly (it could be also TTN Behind the back ),the guy with his poi on his 2 sides throws them in the air for 2 spins ,while the poi is in the air ,he brings his hands to the front and makes abridge ,the second guy with the butterfly ,flips backwards using the bridge of the first guy .after the second guy lands ,the first guy recatches the poi .first i wanna say ,that i know i'm lousy with describing,hope you understood .and ..well..you can also play "throw and catch " with 2 ppl ,2 ppl facing each other ,each 1 with 1 set of poi ,and they throw poi to eachother .c'est tout for now ,keep it up . wink