Page:
erinmember
3 posts

Posted:
i don't know if im just incapable of ever learning how to do this behind my back, but all i ever accomplish are nice bruises. if anyone could help me by explaining how to position my hands and maybe even the direction of the swings i would really appreciate it. (im a lefty, so i do it backwards. i think that's why it's really hard for me) any tips would really help! i have to learn how to do it though because it looks SO damn kick ass.thanks, erin

Storytellermember
19 posts

Posted:
It's all in the hips! Try turning at the waist to follow your lead hand. When your right hand crosses to the right, turn right with it, And vice-versa. It's like a dance.[This message has been edited by Storyteller (edited 06 December 2001).]

Ribbons of color twining and flux, open tomorrow for me

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
not to offend anyone... but fat people can do BTB weave?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
hey its all in the hands and how you position yourself. When i first learned a btb 5-beat i'd would just dodge the muthaf--cker. Now, i know the timing really good and turn in a certain angle so it doesnt hit me. Same goes with btb weave. Learn the btb reverse weave first, its alot easier. You don't have to move your bum much a first.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i agree with story teller, keeping the hips and the soulders in line and having your back straight helps out heaps. ive noticed that if my feet move in a nice clean way then my hands dont really have to do all that much work. but thats because i dont really stand still and keep on the same weave for long, if your feet go (you must be getting sick of hearing me say this) well, then the poi will swing around and you wont be in their way

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
I am also STILL having trouble with this, when i am *attempting* to do a reverse BTB weave, i first practice with one hand (worked for all the other weaves) my question is should i be doing the over-under-out as i do in the weave, or should i be doing the under-over-out as in the the reverse weave, i thought maybe it was over-under....because when my hands are behnd my back it seems to be reversed... i am starting to feel it coming as i can do a semi-fluid figure eight...but i am having trouble putting it together still

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Bloody BTB weave!!!Been trying to get this with poi for AGES but the bugger had me stumped - that was till I went back to my roots and swopped my poi for my clubs (Yes I was a club swinger!).Ive now got it sussed cos I could slow it RIGHT down without them flopping everywhere like poi do and with only my arms to tangle with it made for a pretty good learning session.Although its only very slow and a bit shaky at the mo, im working on speed and accuracy and hopefully soon me and my poi will be doing plenty BTBW's.If you have clubs and/or are a club swinger try it and see - it really helped me, so it might just help you!Gruff wink

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
To do a foward BTB weaveStart by doing reverse circles by your sides, then with 1 poi at a time take them behind your back in a figure 8, when your ready to put them together (often a 2 beat is easiest to start with), It's your right arm that goes BTB to your left side, then let the left side leed until u take it into 3 beats which will mean the leading hand changes. good luck smile

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Interesting point yashiro. Oddly enough, my brother's girlfriend is quite large and she can't do the BTB weave....In fact she can't do any poi at all.Do you think there's a connection?

Meh

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
wut about midgets can midgets spin? i wanna see a fat midget doing a bhb weave with double wick colored flame fire poi. only then i can die happy. and he/she has to have a mullet

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd have to go with reverse BTB weave first. It's much less awkward and you can get them spinning in nice planes (Like a Learjet or Cessna).

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Keep trying Durbs. You're getting there. The first 500 is the problem. After that it's just plane sailing....

Meh

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I hope your not suggesting my priceless invaluble hints are in any way a means for me to increase my number of posts by using poor quality jokes. Anyway - planes can't sail....apart from sailplanes....and ones which have broken.....but that's more or less gliding....which is different to sailing. Obviously.BTB weaves are great (Phew - managed to stay on topic)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Cantus, I didn't post that to laugh at people who have more than average weigh(to not say the one simple word that i know it offends people and sorry if it offends)Well, i think that the reason is because a good poier is.. that and he told me that he couldn't do BTB because "The entire hand must touch the other side of your body by doing the behind, if you watch the BTB weave closely you should notice that the hand must be able to reach the other side of the body to be able to do the figure 8 or BTB weave, but there's no problem for the BTB fly..."so in short... your hand must be able to touch the other side of your body(BTB) and i don't think you can do the BTB by putting your hand at the center of your back to do the weave(remember you have to move your hands to do an X) If you keep your hand at the center of your back you can do the X, but the poi will be hitting you... well... that's my point

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
one thing i suggest.... is to practice the BTB weave continously for 4 hours doing BTB weave first. I learned the REVERSE!!!! BTB weave first and then i learned the fwd(reason? i didn't want to hit my face and I didn't knew how to do rev weave at that time)So that's it, 4 hours standing and doing the BTB weave...Psychological FLASHBACK:Do you remember spending HOURS!!! trying to do the $*)(@ weave and the butterfly??? well, btb weave have to spend the same time, only that the mind is blocking your way to learn it...Remember why you wanted to learn the weave? because of your inspiration to learn, but I think that that inspiration goes down when you try to do the BTB weave, dunnoAnyways... I think that you should begin prracticing reverse weave, the poi at fwd btb weave hit your face very badly(and no hands to block it), although my fwd btb weave is much prettier than the fwd[This message has been edited by yashiro (edited 10 December 2001).]

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
yeah thats a good point about doing it in reverse to avoid beaning your dial

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
I don't know how to do the reverse BTB weave, only learn't the Forward BTB one. I always felt/thought reverse weaves were easier and more fluent than forward ones although I didn't always learn reverse first.

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I don't think how big you are really affects if you can btb weave or not. There's more ways than one to position yourself when doing a btb weave. You can be straight on facing the way the poi spin or you can be facing the "cicle", in which case the width of you body that the poi has to clear has shrunk 3 times (give or take).------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

yashiromember
77 posts

Posted:
Well I dunno, i suggest to learn the fwd & reverse BTB, the only thing that makes the BTB weave shines are the BTB weave turns, specially used after weave & turn =)

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i agree with phunky, its how you position yourself and adapt to how big (or not) you are and how your body moves that enables you do those moves. its worth spending a bit of thought on how your feet move as youre doing the turns, depending on the effect you want (i like side on for nice tight clean technique) once thats been sussed out the hand work will probably become more natural and hitting yourself might hopefully happen less and less

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i agree with phunky, its how you position yourself and adapt to how big (or not) you are and how your body moves that enables you do those moves. its worth spending a bit of thought on how your feet move as youre doing the turns, depending on the effect you want (i like side on for nice tight clean technique) once thats been sussed out the hand work will probably become more natural and hitting yourself might hopefully happen less and less

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
so i was still wondering if anyone has broken in down as they have the forward and rev weave when you are doing it BTB, i asked a little bit ago if anyone knew if you could learn it the same way as the other weaves by sticking out an arm and learning it one at a time. my question was if i was trying to do the rev weave btb, would it be over-under-out, our under-over-out, just thought that may be an easy way since it got mt the other ones pretty quick

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
"Beaning your dial" ?! Can someone translate please smile ?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

erinmember
3 posts

Posted:
hey, i just wanted to thank you all for helping me with my problem. jester, you explained in really well so that i visualized it and now i think i understand. that would help though to know the difference between the reverse btb and the forward btb. which way do your hands move for each beat...over under out, or under over out??--like happysticker was asking.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
So jonathon - do you agree with phunky?? wink j/kDurbs - that means whacking yourself in the face.The BTB weave is still out of my reach. The thread helped a bit, but it hasn't been a priority for me lately (been working on that 1-handed butterfly start). I can feel it hidden in there somewhere though.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Warior DrakeSILVER Member
The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
I'm a pretty big guy, ok I lie, I'm a VERY big guy, I need to lose weight and I"m working on it but I had a major injury in my life that had me out of commission for a long time, then after that I could barely move and grew weak and lazy, resulting in becoming heavy, a week or so ago I picked up poi and I'm still pretty bad, I mean its only been a week, but I can do my basic weaves (3/5bt forward and reverse), windmill, corkscrew, stalls and almost have isolations, btb sounds like its going to be a pain due to my lack of flexibility and horrid plane control, but once I get them down even a large guy like myself should be able to do it. My confidence comes from the fact that even in my inflexible state I can still pretty much wrap my arm around my back and come out on the other side, not perfectly of course and I need to turn with it, but my right palm can face left while wrapping around my back. Take that for what its worth.

edit: I now realize I posted in a 9 year old topic, but hopefully this will give inspiration to any people who think they're "too fat" to pick up poi, I guarantee I'm probably heavier then you, just don't let that get in your way, pick it, start working out. I've only been at it for, what 4 days, been looking into it for about a week and a half, it feels great and the stretching I do to go along with it is going to have to pay out in the long run
EDITED_BY: Warior Drake (1271787936)

Don't let your world end with you

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I have 2 friends who are big and both of them can kinda do it. One of them is actually as good at it as my skinny friend that spins.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
yeah, sure being in shape is good, in fact I'm planning on getting in shape with poi, maybe not through the spinning alone but stretching and the moving can't hurt, its encouraging me to be more active then I have in a long time, especially since I started writing my novel

too long, didn't read version: SPIN POI NOW, no matter who you are or what physical condition you're in, you can do it if you put your mind to it and you've got a community of really awesome people supporting you so go for it

p.s. No, just in case you're going to ask, I did not misspell Warrior, its supposed to be like that.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I was a lot heavier when I started poi.

hug

The Dragon Professor
203 posts

Posted:
well then, inspiration for the guy trying to inspire

Page: