Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > quick question about the overhead weave

Login/Join to Participate

getzaphixmember
8 posts

Posted:
Is the overhead weave the same as the windmill, ie, mexican wave but done higher, or is it 3 beat like a normal weave? I've watched the about weaves in the Art of Poi video a couple of times and I'm not sure. I spent the entire day today trying to get a 3 beat weave over my head only to be confused when I thought I saw a 2 beat being done in the video. Please help? Thanks.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd say yes...The overhead weave/chase is the same as the windmill (which is not the same as the mexican wave but higher...) and is only a two beat rhythm - but it can be expanded to a four beat weave if you want. It's the same theory as the triple/quadruple corkscrew. Hurts when you get it wrong though smileIn the mexican wave the poi are going in different directions whereas in the overhead weave they are the same.The easiest way I found to learn it was to do chasing the sun and then split-time the poi. If you do this in front of a reflection (mirror/window) you can work on the all important timing.Hope this helps.[This message has been edited by Durbs (edited 05 December 2001).]

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'd have to disagree on this one. A windmill as you said is 2 beats. What it is is an overhead figure 8. A overhead weave on the other hand is just that. A 3-beat weave with your hands behind your head.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Gruffmember
106 posts

Posted:
Phunky - youre right!! it is a weave done over the head. I had problems learning this one untill I could do the backwards (reverse) weave and then it came naturally as I was doing a link/transition from forward to backward weave.Try not to tink of it too technically and JUST DO IT!!! I think that was my problem.Hope this helps,Gruff.

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
when i am doing this move i usually set my forearms sort of on top of my head, its a little reat while spinning if you are tired or if you plan on doing it for a while....yes i am lazy

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

getzaphixmember
8 posts

Posted:
I did manage to finnally get it to work a couple of days ago to much self-fanfare and celebration. Seemed like the hardest part was getting my left hand to know when to flip over and do the extra revolution before I brought it back over to the front. I also managed to do the windmill, but only proved to frustrate me further because after I learned how to do it, my hands wouldn't do anything but it for awhile. Either way, onto other moves tongue.

Solipsistmember
2 posts

Posted:
The major difference between the front position and the overhead position is that symmetry happens on odd beat patterns for the front and on the even beat patterns for overhead. The figure 8 in front is asymmetrical. You arms are more twisted on one side of your body that the other. With the weave, your arms are just as twisted on each side (though in difference directions). On the otherhand, the windmill is symmetrical, and a 3 beat pattern (weave or triple corkscrew over the head) can be done with your hands ending up more twisted in back or in front. When you do that extra half turn of twisting in both back and front, you then get a 4 beat pattern (quadruple corkscrew over the head).[This message has been edited by Solipsist (edited 09 December 2001).][This message has been edited by Solipsist (edited 09 December 2001).]