Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > uh...wow.....im impressed....360 BTB Weave

Login/Join to Participate

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
i dont know if all of you got this e-mail but i saw some of your names in the adresses but i was pretty impressed by this guys btb weave, its a better video than i have seen thus far..... check it out... it is the top two videos but especially the secondhttps://www.houseofrave.com/videos/videos.html

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
I got the email, it's called SPAM (mass emailing for self promotion and bragging) and it's really annoying when there's a perfectly good bulletin board (this one) to post the link up on!Anyway, getting something by spam imediately makes me want to put it down, so I will. The terrible but purposefully awful English also annoys me. Type English man! And my bad mood has lasted a whole 4 days now winkIt does look good, it's something I can only do one try out of 10 at the moment. This guy is obvious good and has put a lot of practice in. Fair dues and respect to him on that front. But...It's too fast and unclear! When you're spinning for video and to show moves to other spinners it looks better and is more useful if it's slower and more controlled. And glowsticks are small and hard to see in the light.And it isn't a true 360, it's 2 180s with a break inbetween. A true 360 is smooth 360 turn, like a normal weave 360. And this guy is bent double. You can do btb stuff standing up (or almost standing up fully). It's harder, but I think it looks better.And the entire site seems to call poi 'raving' which is a connection many don't like to see too much of.Rant over. It was a cool video to see, but I get too much spam as it is!Dom

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
That 270 btb weave doesnt look fine... he does like a 180 stop then other 180...the 360 gotta be fluid like on Jo derry videos on this site grin and all in the same thing withouth stopping Anyhow hey thanks for the url tongue im looking

Dance like if noone were watching you

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
I completely agree with you Alternativa (and stop to wonder how many times you've taken the words right out of my mouth. Blast! J/K).People should not look like they are looking for a contact when doing a BTB move IMHO. It's just silly looking. Jo Derry, De_Frag, and Bassman are still the only people I have ever seen pull off a smooth and seemingly effortless 360 BTB weave.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
ahh i wish i had a camara i can do the 360 degress BTB weave as good as them... well my friend said that blushyay!

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
*wonders if Alternativa is related to Pele*hmmmmmm....Just kiddin buddy. wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
any way guys theres heaps of way more stylee moves to work towards than those btb weaves!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Any move can be made to look stylish.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
well I went to the link (I dont understand why he didnt just SPAM us with the link - especially considering hotmail scrambled his attachment anyhow) and watched the BTB weave vid.I didnt know it could be done like that. I wonder if he's ever seen someone like Jo Derry do it? If he had, he might not have been so likely to send us all his vid... winkJosh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Well i just watched both the vids...I really do think watching the weave from the front is kinda boring.As for the second one he bends over way too much and kinda makes the btb weave look awkward. ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
oh ya, another thing. When I learned how to turn a weave behind my back a long time ago did you find doing a 360 weave was easier than just turning it and keeping it at forward btb weave?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Ohh darn... I just wish I knew how to do a 360 BTB weave. Maybe one day I'll learn, yes? I went on the message board there to see what they had to say about that stuff and ... LOL ... a lot of them get their moves from Iloveraving.com. That cracks me up. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
i found that with most of the moves i do its as important how you go from one move to the next as how well you do each move. tight footwork helps a lot with most of the moves especially the btb weaves.yeah, i find it easier to walk with the poi when doing a btb weave rather than standing there doing it. but like i said theres heaps more stylee (and technically impressive ) moves to be working towards!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Every move counts. I've always been an advocate of working on your technical skills before moving on and working on style. I totally believe the way you spin and your style is developed naturally as you progress. Where as you have to go out and LEARN how to do new moves and such. I've just never understood people who are content with just weaves and windmills. Their excuse for not learning new stuff, "I do it gracefully". Anywho, moral of this story is don't fool yourself into thinking you're working on style when actually your in a rut or too lazy to get some practice in.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
theres an element of truth in that to be sure dude, but so long as your happy with how you poi or dance or whatever, why worry about how other people are doing it?. every move counts, as it builds up new appreciation of how the body works, but there comes a time when we just have to let go of the simple stuff and start the journey all over again. one day soon phunky i hope you'll get that. i hate to sound like a broken record, but 4 poi no matter how tentatively done at first will always be more stylee and technically impressive than any variation of just about any move we can do with 2. but hey, thats just one opinion amongst many........

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
Jonathan, I was wondering what these heaps of more "stylee" and technical moves look like, maybe a general description of shape, color, size.....hand movements etc.... :-) just seeing if you had a new unicorn for me to chase

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
butterflys dude, go hard and learn how they work. like it says on this site the maori used to use them as weapons and there are heaps of moves we can do with them. crossovers, weaves, split times, out of times, its all there for you guys to get into if you want to put in the hard yards of practise. doing 4 poi (as in two butterflies) is i guess you could say a more traditionally correct way of using poi. i put down the first four moves i taught myself with four poi in the moves section. try each of them with one hand first to get it flowing, then the other, then three, then go for 4. as for coulours and whatnot, ive written a few four poi patterns for to practise, based on tae kwon do stances (reasonably similar to the old maori styles) they correspond to the eight symbols of the tri grams, eight points of the compass, and have the meanings of earth, heaven, fire, water, wind, wountain, lake, and thunder. each has a corresponding pattern of thought that accompanies it, and each has several colours, depending on which chakra you are opening when doing what movements.of course i guess that doing 4 poi is old news to a lot of you, its not that hard really. its just a case of mind over matter

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Thats funny you consider butterflies stylish moves, because around here weaves are considered more stylish. So called "good" style can be judged differently everywhere. People look for different things when you spin. Some people may think your stylish because you spin fast. Others because you spin slow. What makes one opinion of style better than another? Some people may like the technical aspect of spinning and may think that is very sylish. Anyways, to the point, you can't judge style but you can judge the moves that the person does. If he/she does it cleanly and such.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
fair enough, good calli guess ive been swinging round rocks for to long, i havent really been keeping up with whats been going on with fire poi for quite some time now. but dont knock it till you can do it. weaves eventually werent doing it for me, but then ive done martial arts since i was a knee hi, it was a natural progression to move onto more traditional usage, i just get more out of it that way. poi were designed to kill maori, maybe youve never seen anyone do two butterflies in a more weapons oriented way. i know that my style is limited by the focus on the more martial aspects of poi movement. but like i said just so long as everyones having a good time and getting in to it, then its all good. dont get me wrong phunky, but it just seems that maybe you dont really understand where im coming from, did you know that you can butterfly weave phunky? out of time crossing both arms over and weaving all four poi across your body. (dont get me started on the split time moves- much potential for mindless rambling)i do agree with what your saying about judging on technique though, stylee is just a word i use for cool moves. however the style of poi i do is a hybrid between t.k.d. and traditional maori footwork. so i guess you can judge style, but only if the person being judged is trying to move according to a particular style, but thats not much different from looking at their technique*shrugs shoulders*go figure

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey John,your description of four poi sounds awesome, I'd like to see it. So far I've never seen anyone use four poi properly like you describe. Any chance of a short video? I'm sure Malcolm would put it up (if its good quality)dont worry about phunky, hes just bummed that theres someone on this board who out 'technical's him winkJosh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
DAMN... YOU GOT F-CKED UP!!! J/K even I'm impressed with what homeboi's talking about. I've bowed out of trying to be the best, there's just too much talent to be judged, to many different styles. I just have fun and if someone's better then me, in my mind, then I'll learn from them. Pozee has taught me a lot, but he has that energy, you know, the kind you feed off of. I don't feel that anyone around here is better then me, but you know what, in all honesty, it doesn't matter what I think. There could be someone 50 times as good as me.Who know and who really cares. Off subject and not caring.EricEric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
NO NO, IT CAN'T BE!!I'M MELTING, I'M MELTING!!! OUT TECHNICALIZED!heh, yes i can butterfly weave. I have not tried weaving with 4 poi but i have visualized it as a possible move. Read that thread blackbird did awhile back.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
"I don't feel that anyone around here is better then me, but you know what, in all honesty, it doesn't matter what I think. There could be someone 50 times as good as me."totally agree with myst there! i always think that when im glowticking... i always think there is someone better than me

munkimember
1 post

Posted:
i dont have to worry, i know i suck