Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > does anyone else throw their poi?

Login/Join to Participate

zoeymember
7 posts

Posted:
So I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this. but does anyone else actually throw their poi up in the air and than catch them while on fire? I do that and am learning how to throw both at the same time and I also throw them under my leg and catch them. point being that my boyfriend is the only other person I've seen who does that. were both learning to ride the unicycle and our plan is to ride around and spin the poi and toss them back and forth to each other. I think it would be cool.

A beautyschool dropout that spins fire...who would have thought?

preambledmember
53 posts

Posted:
i've recently become obsessed with throws.. a few months ago i felt like i was at a (well, almost) standstill with poi, wasn't learning anything new really, and was starting to lose interest.throws - %&(!@*#! now there's a veritable infinity of moves, variations, etc. almost every time i pick up the poi now something new happens grinyay the throws. smile

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
reverse thread the needle right poi throw behind the back and catch back into the thread the needle. that is my most fluid one to date.definately infinite possibilities...

anyone got a light?

jonathanenthusiast
210 posts

Posted:
if you tie your poi in the middle and use them one handed butterfly style, you can throw them up like that as well!! definately unlimited possibilities when it comes to poi moves

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey jonathan, if you like the tied together poi and the one handed butterfly, try this move. i will try and explain it okay,on the upswing of the butterfly, wrap them on your neck right where your hand is and let go with your hand, then slam your head back so that you are looking straight up, then the poi does a revolution behind your back then when it is at the top of its arch, take a step back look down and catch the poi with you hand again...

anyone got a light?

MadGirlBettymember
13 posts

Posted:
I try to throw, but with the weight of my poi it's kinda hard. I've found chain poi are a lot better for the purpose (mine are on cables) but I'm scared of chains... they're heavy. They hurt.

zoeymember
7 posts

Posted:
mine are stright from "petsmart" for the handles I have catcollars, dog chock chain connected to that than padlocks with fabric wraped around them. the chains don't hurt. the padlocks do. he he. but the fabric helps.

A beautyschool dropout that spins fire...who would have thought?

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Padlocks?! ouch!!I've been working on some simple throws this week - trouble with fire is at night I can't see where the handle is. Any tips for this?------------------Courage is the man who can stop after just one peanut

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Doing my mod duty, please use the search button under the post/reply buttons for this topic. It has been covered a few times in addition to discussions on which handles are better to use for this.Padlocks? shockedBendy, for a real contrast and interesting visual, attach glowsticks to your handles. Looks very cool if you use a contrasting color to the fire, like purple and you can see them well at night.When you hook your poi together it becomes a meteor, which can be weilded like a staff or poi, which is just soooooo full of possibilities. Malcolm has a wonderful book available in his shop about this called The Meteor Book by Rhys Thomas.I was introduced to throws, tosses and wrap releases by ShawnF last April. He adapted the movements he learned on yo-yo's to poiand had a truly unique poi style. I learned so much from him that weekend!Happy throws to all!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK