Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > (sort of) new (I think) move - quite easy and good for your waist.

Login/Join to Participate

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
I saw this done without poi as a martial arts exercise on a film. It looks pretty good with poi. I think it will also look good with glow stick dancing but I haven't tried it or seen it. Your arms will be spinning in the same plane as the windmill and your body will be gyrating (mmmm...) about the hips.The principal is to keep your arms straight and pointing in opposite directions. Try this one with no poi until you've got the motion smooth and all that. Hold your arms out like a scarecrow and have your feet shoulder width apart. now move your left arm down and behind you - remember to keep your right arm pointing in the opposite direction. When it goes past your, erm, arse you should turn towards your left (don't move your feet). Continue moving your left arm past your arse and up behind you, you right arm going down infront of you. As your left arm is at the top of its circle you should start turning your body back to central. Continue moving your arms in their directions but bring your left arm down infront of you and your right arm will be going up then behind you. You should naturally be turning towards your right now. Bring your right arm down behind your arse, left up infront of you, continue their motions until you are back in 'scarecrow' position. That's it. I know it sounds complex but it's quite easy and it's a really good stretch if you do it a rew times in a row. When you get it it should just feel 'right'. It is really easy to intergrate this move with windmills, and looks good as part of the fountain. Oh, you can also do it in the opposite direction, as with all moves.have fun,Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
heh, too much reading.From what i gather, does this look like a btb figure 8 but keeping the circles apart so there are 2 circles and not one?Or... i just reread is it basically turning with your hands outreached without actually moving your feet.anyways, i just woke up. If im way off please simplify smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

woodymember
99 posts

Posted:
Nice one Jo!It's going to take a few days to get it cos I can only try it a few times before things start tha ache.Bringing arms up and down behind my back is quite hard! Definatly one of the best moves I "know" for flexibility! I fi hasn't got a name what do we call it? alternative giant windmill combo?Giant Chanmill?Have fun!Woody

Luv and Lemons.WoodyMrs Jaypher said, 'It's saferIf you've lemons in your head;First to eat, a pound of meat,And then to go at once to bed.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I'm having trouble visualising this, but I kinda get the feeling it is like a move that Michelle from Tekken Tag does a lot?Can anyone confirm this for me?PS I'm gonna try it with staffs instead of pois if I get it...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
so its turning a split-time chasing the sun without moving your feet then?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
btw, tekken kicks ass! smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Sorry 'bout the description guys, I've never been good at describing stuff.You should be able to figure this move out for yourselves if I describe what it will look like. It is very simple by the way.with no poi it appears like your arms are doing a windmill. With added poi it looks like a 'constantly giant' windmill. It looks and feels best if you really get your body into it, bending down and up in a gyratory, circular fasion. (this is sounding too much like a sexual move). I'll try and do a video.Jo.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
BUMP

Got sent a couple of emails asking about this move, hence the bump.

Jo.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Not sure if everyone is quite getting this. I think it sounds more complicated than it is, I have a few little vids of Jo but nowhere to post em. If anyone has space i can mail you something short!

Don't you do a few varioations on COL3 Jo?

There is a wushu vid on the link below called
Zhao Changjun where this guy does it about 4 times but really fast though, watch out for the 1.00 min mark.
https://www.beijingwushuteam.com/video.html

There are a bunch of vids on this page that include it and it seems to be used by lots of different martial arts in some way or another.

Oh yeah, pk does a few reps of it on the 'ghost in the woods' vid he just posted on HoP too but can't remember exactly where they are.

Guess you got me on a helpfull day plus there are loads of georgeous combinations of long and short arm moves that really need opening up properly

[ 12. December 2002, 11:45: Message edited by: TEMPEST ]

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Jo smells of cumquats

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Temptest: I'd be more impressed if someone could do the move at 0.25 with poi!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Think I get it. Sounds like it might be a good one for doubles staves, too.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
cumquats? What is a cumquat Liam, you sub-human disgrace of a man?

Jephyre, your right about the staves. It actually is much easier with them than with poi. And you can manslaughter passers by to boot.

Jo.

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Sorry Flid, not sure what you mean by 0.25 with poi

Jo cumquats are small oranges but in your case i mean moldy ones

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Tempest: at 25 seconds into that vid you linked to the guy does a running leap into the splits

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Flid. Doh, sorry was just being dumb Did you check out the nine section whip clip? very fast with some tasty floorwork

Phunky, just processed what you posted. Yeah it is i reckon but you have to go really bogeyed when you do the butterfly version.

Well, thats how Jo does it anyhow
Bird calls seem to help him too

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I think I do some of that big circle stuff with me clubs. Try holding a single staff with a wide grip (almost to the wicks) and doing some twists as you lean to one side.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Following you jo, i was tired first time i read the thread.

Nice move, jo surly this is all that long arm stuff you taught me huh?
Good warm up / stretching moves help make you limber {sp?}

Dropping some seperations in to it as well makes it look damn fine.