Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Aerial (cartwheel) while poi/staff

Login/Join to Participate

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I was wondering if anyone tried any acrobatic moves while using poi/staff. For example, one of my friends tried twirling a string while doing cartwheel-not to successful.First, I guess I should explain what an aerial is to those who don't know. Technically, it is a cartwheel without hands or you could say it is a flip to the side.I was wondering since your hands are free, would you be able to poi/staff in the second or two you are in the air? Has anyone tried this?Finally, one last question is if anyone here can do an aerial, how did you learn? About how much time did it take you? What steps did you take to learn it?ThanksTK

Live by honor. Kill by stealth. Only the unseen survive.~peace~

tallicaburtonmember
51 posts

Posted:
I can't actually do an aerial, but I've been interested in flips and that kind of thing for a while, and I have had friends try to explain it to me, so I'll tell you what my understanding is. You need to be able to do a one handed cartwheel (almost as easy as 2 hand). And I think it can take as long as a month, or as little as a day, depends on whether you tumble or not... I'm not sure if you can do an aeriel while spinning, i think doing a front flip/back flip would be signifigantly easier... https://www.truckandautowares.com/hiutang/moves/trickz_n_flipz/aerial.htm
has information on aeriels, and flips, and other moves. I'm interested in breakdancing, thus the "trickz" instead of "tricks". Hope this helps a little, good luck!--------------------------Search for meaning,not guided by thought.Help me find it,I am lost.

Louismember
3 posts

Posted:
I do some Acro with my poi, and am going to soon learn more. Do a one handed cartwheel while spinning but before such I put both poi in one hand. I can do an ariel, but have only tried with my whipchain. Here is a form that is what I do with a long chain with one wick at the end. but the guy is much better than me, and using the traditional chinese version. https://www.furiousg.com/videos/library/flexible/ifckf_25_chain_whip.mpgI
do ariels with my staff but I need to find a way to make it more continuous

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
I sure fit into that category at the top of that his website. I've been there a few times anyways cuz i'm interested in breakdancing but anyways...I can do one handed cartwheels-both with the hand that's close to you and the hand which is farther away. Which also means i can do half of an aerial (which really really hurts if you want to know). If anyone else can compile some info for me, I'd appreciate it. Guess it's time to practice some more acrobatics...

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
it take quite a bit of leg strength to pull off an aerial if you plan on doing it while spinning. reason being most tumbling moves need the use of arms to pull them off relatively easy. same goes for back or front flips. you need your arms to get your rotation going. i can do one handed cartwheels while spinning , and have been working on the aerial, i use to be able to do one years and years ago. no luck so far. to pull an aerial while spinnin in tough cause you need what's called an underlift motion with your arms and that's kinda tough to do while trying to spin something in your hands. if anyone pulls and aerial or flips while spinning please video tape it for us all to see. i'm not sayin they are impossible, just requires mad leg strength, martial artist have the most potential to pull it off. good luck to all. keep trying. Peace------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Have you not been paying attention in the staff forum Trancekuja? There are several threads about acrobatics. Pele, Xaeda and several others all doing that kind of thing.And I definitely remember a discussion about a hands free cartwheel whilst staffing.

Meh

TranceKujamember
68 posts

Posted:
Cantus-can you point me to the ones that have this info? I already searched-got nothing, and the forums are really long.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ok try this https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000330.html
Is that ok?------------------C@ntusIn the past, the fools would pay, to see the freaks of the day. The contradictions of the norm. The bizarre, the wonderful and deformed.No need for the tents and the cages now. The wool is over our eyes. In front the TV circus - a freakshow in disguise.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
*dusting some shelves and watering the plants*

Meh

PsylentzSILVER Member
72 posts

Posted:
my thing while doing staff is splits... it's the same as xaeda's sit down and behind the back... but i'm not as fluent, i've tried doing one handed cartweels, that's not so bad, but it's hard to spin while doing ... that's my acrobatic extent, ...besides falling on my ankle and snapping it several times....------------------~ Tiger, Tiger, burning bright... ~[This message has been edited by Psylentz (edited 20 December 2001).]

"The Q is talkin' to me!!!"

outlawstevobtkmember
3 posts

Posted:
hey everyone, not to brag or anything, but i can do kartwheels, w/ or w/o hands, but i just got into poi a few months ago, i caught on quickly, but i'm terrified of doing it during an arial, or any acro's for that matter, any tips out there?------------------"A Sword Stained With Blood Is Without Meaning"

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
battousaibtk - grab your poi (no fire) then try it and put up with the bruises! If you can do something without the poi, and you can do the poi, then combining the two is only a few steps away.------------------Iggity-aggity-oop-eh-eh! Ziggity-zaggity-zoo-ah-ah! Oooh-ooh-phblt! Eh-eh-ackh! Flippity-flappity-floop!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Well, somtimes they can be a few hundred steps away, sometimes not.I can do long double staffs and I can unicycle, but can i do a nice fluent doublestaff while unicycling?No, i do a nice Almost falling off all the time and jerky uncontrolled double staff thing, on the unicycle.That being said, single staff and unicycle was relatively easy... grin grin grin grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?