Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I was messing around with a long string today in my house and noticed as i was doing a normal side circle that i was pulling it down to avoid the ceiling and then pulling it back up to avoid the ground. I'm sure with abit of work that you could do it with a shorter chain and move you arm faster. So you'd end up with a floating poi effect while your arm is the one doing the circles. ------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
I've tried this before but I don't think it is possible to do more then maybe one revolution frown You would need realy short strings and amazing arm speed or else gravity will do it's thing and the poi will fall. All the centifical (sp?) force that the poi had to keep it in rotiation would be lost and the only force on it would be gravity.The only way I can see this being done is if you were able to perform perfect circles around the poi, not exerting any force on it other then straight up or it will be put off center and gain a bit of momentum. I immagine that the closest thing to this that you can get would be a throw where you flick the handle around so it returns quickly. That wouldn't acheive a floating poi effect though.That said, if anyone can do this I would like to see the video smile

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

DmAlterEgo
128 posts

Posted:
There's a very skilled twirler at Just Jugglers in London sometimes who does something similar. He moves his arms around the poi so they do float or the movement is not as expected.He uses short poi and spins slowly. You don't need fast arms, just slow, controlled poi.

We're nothing but the nerds they think we are

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Now that would be interesting to see smileDid it look as though the poi floated or was it more like a lazy movement?------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I doubt this counts, but I was messing around with the flicking the strap around my arm thing. (Doing a bicept wrap and letting the hand swing around my arm with the poi and catching it on the other side) Well I came up with a half/wrap floating poi move. You do the same thing, but rather than letting it wrap, let go of it just before hand. The result is the poi shoots straight up in the air, and the strap conveniently comes right back to your hand.------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
The physics of poi mandates that the poi must move. It would be technically impossible to have a poi simply rotate while your hand revolves around it as it would have 0 centripital force to keep the string taught.Granted you could get it close to that, but not actual achieve stationary levitation.Also, rainbows are simply optical illusions and do not actually exist. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
NO WAY!you're probably going to tell me santa clause doesn't exist to! smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
What about the tooth fairy??? Last time I lost a tooth I got money under my pillow...CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
*lets his beaming poi hang in the dark without moving an inch*Look look.. Floating poi!!!Yea.. I know.. Im a smart ass.. but hey. wink------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Last night i dreamed I ate my pillow and when I woke up in the morning my giant marshmallow was missing...

Meh

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
NYC - You say the rainbow is an optical illusion. Since an illusion is the apperance of something and an optical illusion can, by definition, be seen; then does the rainbow not actually exist as the illusion itself?Since gravity is constantly acting on the poi in a downwards direction, I think the only way to truely have stationary poi is by using a neutral density poi construction(helium mixture in both head and cord). Has anyone tried to twirl balloons for this effect? That would be cool!

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Bendy.. hmm.. I wonder if you could put hydrogen gas in something a little heavier (so it has enough wieght for inertia to spin it) but still have it float.. you could create thousands of new moves if you did that!Course.. Hydrogen Gas would be hard to get a hold of... and I still dont know if it would be bouyant enough in Oxygen to actually make a difference.. :P But it was worth a brain burp I guess...

Whiffle Squeekaddict
416 posts

Posted:
these gas filled objects would obvioulsy have nothing to do with the fire aspect of this activity im assuming...

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
heh..well I hear that some people make monstrous wicks from using a coffee tin and wrapping kevlar around it. So I see no reason(other than the small detail of the gas is explosive) of putting hydrogen gas inside of a container that has kevlar wrapped around it.. OooOOOoo sounds dangerous :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Heh heh heh... Blowing up is not my idea of fun... being lit on fire briefly... maybe a little fun *grins* heh heh heh. But blowing up definitely not.. besides.. it would ruin my staff. :P heh------------------May the fire of God burn its impression on your heart.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Spongy - I said Helium!! that is not explosive (just ask NYC - it is one of the "inert gases" also known as the "noble gases" smile ain't that right teach?).It would be a pretty cool finish to a show - use Hydrogen balloons for some small explosions and fireballs - maybe unsafe tho...?------------------Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bullshit before

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
Bl@@dy Hell people hydrogen ballons!!! shockedWhy do you think they stopped using hydrogen in airships?? . o O ('cos it explodes!)You arent talking nice little explosions here but uncontrolable big bangs, especially in the idea of a coffee tin full of hydrogen with a kevlar wick around it shocked.Not sure on the idea of helium, would need some innovative engineering in the design I feel could be worth a try though grin------------------Mark P (the mad chemist)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
You are all crazy.Hydrogen/helium poi would suck because they don't have inertia!Hydrogen ballons exploding are just LOUD! Yeah, they could probably do some damage if you were holding them when they went but I blow balloons full up all the time.kaBOOOOOOM!And yes, "He" is an inert gas and doesn't react with anything ever. Boooooring. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

GodlovinSpongemember
125 posts

Posted:
Ha ha ha.. Thats why I said not a balloon!! and why I said Hydrogen.. because its less dense than helium with the hopes it could maybe be bouyant enough to lift something with a little wieght so you could spin it.And the dangers of hydrogen actually arent that bad. Gasoline is just as dangerous.. course it cant float around in a balloon.. but thats besides the point. LOLANd as for that dumb blimp.. what do you expect.. if you flew with ten tons of gasoline above your head with nothing protecting it from lighting up, what do you think would happen? lol

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Hydrogen and helium filled balls, sheesh . To think back in November of '01 all he was talking back were simple isolations. Can you say Pwned?

We are defined by the choices we make

knagiiBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
Had to login after two years just to point this post out :P Nov '01 Knagi discovers isolations...Jan 02 Knagi discovers 24 ft tall falming puppet idea and is never heard from again. LOL And you guys are prolly still not rdy for my newer ideas, Least I know Pele isn't since she trys to tear my head off everytime I tell her about one wink

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Id love to knagi,

anything to keep the board moving.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
ubbidea

We could all just move to the moon and do anti-gravity poi. ubbloco

NEVER eat anything you can't spell.

CodySILVER Member
That guy from Reno
556 posts

Posted:
Gust read this post, aren't they talking about an extreme isolation?? Instead of making the center of the chain/string the middle point, work the middle point towards the poi head. Yes you would have to be really moving like a wheel with one spoke, but I think I have done this at least for about half a move. Couldn't explain how though. one of those magical moments smile

Cody Canon
Controlled Burn, Reno Nevada

BlackassBlueass
183 posts

Posted:
Hmm I remember Trevor and Simon saying something similar:

"I'm going to the moon to swing my pants"

"But there's no gravity on the moon, your pants will just fly off!"

ubbtickled ubbtickled ubbtickled ubblol ubblol ubblol

Nice to see someone from Aberystwyth btw

---------------------------------
Breathing fire doesn't look good on the resume - Everclear

wickedpixiemember
70 posts

Posted:
lol, everyone here seems to know aberystwyth! Is there something you're all not telling me? eek

Seriously though, how fast wuld you have to be spinning your arms to get the poi to hang in the air? I reckon you'd have to be going some!

NEVER eat anything you can't spell.