Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 6 Beat Wave and Circular Weave!!

Login/Join to Participate

Dark-Firemember
6 posts

Posted:
I just found how to do a 6 beat wave. Itz very easy. Found out when i was tryin to do the 5 beat wave which i still have no clue how to do. It really looks like a side-ways butterfly.To do the 6 beat wave:1. First start the reverse weave/chase2. When your right hand gets to the left side, instead of goin back over after your 2 beats, rotate your hands again.3. Its like twisting your hands for the 5 beat but you stay on your left side.4. You'll go into the start of a forward weave/chase, and get 3 more circles.5. Do the opposite when you get to the left side.I think you can do this vice versa too.Circular Weave:You ABSOLUTELY need to know both the forward and backward weave/chase1. Do the forward weave2. When you start goin to your right side turn 180 degrees and start doin the backward weave. Put your hands over your head if its necessary, but I usually dont do it.3. from here u can do the backward weave/chase, windmill, 5-beat or go back to forward+turn

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i think (not sure) that you are describing a rev 5 beat to a forward 5 beat. correct me if i am wrong.it sounds a bit like that fountain thing everyone is always talking about but i still havent figured that one out...

anyone got a light?

Janglamember
155 posts

Posted:
Full fountain vid : https://siteswap.org/poi/This
one sorted me right out!------------------"The tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon. He considered the sentence, and found it good. He liked 'tincture' particularly. Tincture. Tincture. It was a distinguished word, and pleasantly countered by the flatness of 'soup'. The soup of the afternoon. Yes. In which may be found the croutons of teatime."

---------------------With a bit of luck, his life was ruined; always thinking that just behind some narrow door, in his favourite bars, men in red woolen suits are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know.

Dark-Firemember
6 posts

Posted:
well it only has 6 beats (from right to left) and i think the 5 beat looks like a butterfly... not sure tho

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
DF--I'm not sure what you're describing, really, especially in step 4. How do you go from a rvs-weave action into a fwd-weave without a body turn or a wrap?The 5-beat rvs weave shown in the lessons on this site is admittedly confusing--it does look sort of buttefly-ish--but that really is the 5-beat rvs. Shot from a different angle, it would be clearer.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Shouldn't it be a 7-beat weave?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okay i think i figured out what you are doing. correct me if i am wrong but i tried this and it is what i thought maybe you were explaining.when you do the five beat weaveyour right hand crosses over your left right. well instead of bringing your left hand back to the left side first, you can do a crossed arm reverse 2 beat. i think that is where you are going with it but i may be wrong.

anyone got a light?

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Not sure what you mean, weave? wave? Anyways, if you want to put more than 5 beats in a weave just keep twistin' them wrists, or let the string tangle a little. 7 beats is possible without tangling the string but it's quite painful and you kinda have to jerk your body hard to get it from side to side.Jo.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Dark-Firemember
6 posts

Posted:
well this is pretty weird to explain...the thing is after you do forward to the left, you keep on goin behind you, and spin once around your backthat should put u in a reverse swing

Dark-Firemember
6 posts

Posted:
anyone try circular weave?i think thats what Shadow-Fire in his poi move is doin but im not sureIt look really cool tho

Dark-Firemember
6 posts

Posted:
Shadow-Fire's Poi *MovieItz the first on the list and plays to Bombs over Bahgdad

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
circular weave? do you mean, reverse to forward to reverse, moving your whole body in a circle?

anyone got a light?

Dark-Firemember
6 posts

Posted:
ya thats itlooks really nicecheck out Shadow-FireHe does really nice circular weaves

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
DF--If I'm understanding you correctly (and that's a big if), what you are describing is what I call a "270" or a 270° static turning weave.Starting from a normal weave, you rotate your torso to do a weave-turn, going into a reverse weave, bring it back to the front, then repeat on the other side. This is not a 6-beat weave (if such a thing is actually possible--I thought weaves needed to be odd numbers). This is a normal weave-turn motion without moving your feet. It can also be thought of as an extension to a lower fountain.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Even number weaves are possible. A 4-beat weave would be a 5-beat movement on one side and a regular weave motion on the other. Anyways, a 7-beat non tangle looks really AWKWARD and probably not worth it unless you wanna impress your spinner friends.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
4-beat is not "A 4-beat weave would be a 5-beat movement on one side and a regular weave motion on the other".The 4-beat weave is similar to a 5-beat except you omit the final beat. With both the 3 and 5 beat weaves, when you are spinning circles on your right it would be the poi attached to your right hand that crosses over first but with the 4 beat your left hand leads and the opposite for the other side.------------------'There is a fist pressing against anyone who thinks something compelling'

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Err, wouldn't omiting the final beat of a 5-beat be a regular weave motion?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 22 November 2001).]

JaedenGOLD Member
220 posts

Posted:
Nope, not quite. Should you omit the final 2 beats it would be back to normal. For the 4-beat you still need to twist your wrists together to get the fourth beat except instead of letting the fifth beat sail past your ankle, throw it to the other side.

The world is not out to get you but if you fight it you will be eaten alive

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ok, this is what im explaining.I'm not omiting 2 beats, im omitting 1 beat.on the left side you tuck your right hand so you get that extra beat (hence the 5-beat motion), when coming back you don't tuck your left hand so that movement is the regular weave motion or vice verca. 4-beats.Or another explanation, do a 5-beat minus one beat on one of the sides (one of the sides not both). 5-1 = 4 beats. I think this was a big minscommunication thing because we're arguing the same point... ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 23 November 2001).]