Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Help me with the Reverse Weave?

Login/Join to Participate

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
First, Id like to thank all of you whos advice was given to me about how to increase the number of beats in my weave. Now, for another weave related topic, is how do I get these damn weaves to go in reverse? Any pointers from anyone. Thanks.Scoot

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/new7.htm------------------[]Dhuong-Vu
Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
Yes, I know thats there. But It hasnt helped, thats why Im asking for additional help.Scoot

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
Do one at a time. Hold your opposite arm straight out in front and weave around it. I found the hardest was just getting my head around which way the poi spin when they are across your body.If you have trouble with this, in slow motion without any poi, do the forward weave. Then stop and reverse it (your hands should go "under, over, back" instead of "over, under, back"). then try it with the other hand, and then both. Then try with one poi, then the other then both.

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

earthdreamermember
116 posts

Posted:
the way i learnt, scoot was to be doing the forward weave, yeah, and then, as you are weaving your poi, turn yourself 180 degees ok, so now you are facing the other way...your poi are now naturally moving min reverse(under over back)...this gives your mind the general concept of how to weave the poi backwards...then as you become better at it you will be able to just pick up the poi , start spinning them backward and glide with ease into the reverse weave..ta daa!! smileholl

Ommember
4 posts

Posted:
'nother idea for ye Scoot...The way I learned.. pick up some swinging clubs. You know roughly the right thing you have to do with your wrists to get the 5th beat with the FWD weave.First practice with the swinging clubs or even just a couple sticks that're heavy enough for your wrists to feel. (prolly a lil thicker than drumsticks) With the FWD 5 Beat.I learned that trying a 5 beat weave kinda looks sloppy with clubs but interesting if you just stop with your wrists in poise for that 5th beat. With a "tai chi" looking sway to it, I bring the halted clubs back to my other side and continue the same maneuver.Now try to mimic that mid-air wrist hold in reverse, imagine the extra beat from the poi. Slowly alternate back and forth on both sides, just to get the feel of what you need to do.After a couple sessions of doing that until my wrists felt weak, finally it came to me like the rest of the moves I know.--When I wasn't much thinking about it and out of the green.Hopefully that helps out some. What works for me has helped others before. Just as I keep learnin forever meself. winkGood Journeys------------------Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

Scootmember
28 posts

Posted:
Thanks again every one. smile I think I got a 2beat reverse weave... might look pretty sad. I will work on it though, and make it a little more fluid. Thanks again everyone. Im off to cruise the threads and try to learn some new moves, combos, or transitions.