Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Moves involving multiple people

Login/Join to Participate

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Anyone have any moves or any ideas for moves that can be used by two people who are spinning together? I know it sounds dangerous and all that, but the more I think about it, the more intrigued I become...

moonglowBRONZE Member
32 posts

Posted:
not moves - but a friend and I tried to spin in sync which was harder than we thought it would be but kinda cool fun - there is something in a tutorial section from home users smile about cooperative stuff I think .. and in the videos there is a stage show of a couple of people doing in sync spinning which looks cool ...hope thats some help

I wish I could jump like that, he thought. Some can and some can't. That's how it is.
Winne-the-Pooh.

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
me and a friend tried behind the back and normal butterfly alternating with fire but with me having bad timing managed to get my wires crossed (literally) and almost ended in burnage! smileHave though about 4 people standing in a square and doing body wrap passes ??? Does anyone reckon this would work....?

Jessemember
118 posts

Posted:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a body-wrap-pass? I know all kinds of moves, but I've never really had names for them until I encountered this site... (Which was only about a week ago, so alot of the names haven't sunk in yet...) Actually, that matching speeds and moves thing DOES sound pretty cool. You had difficulty with it though? Did you have music to keep you paced? (Sorry, I forgot to look at the names before I started this reply to both posts...)

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
well i've never tried this but i think it works; i think that's what's described somewhere in this site...stand facing each other and doing the 'thread the needle' move you can pass the pois to each other - have a look to the lessons sent by visitors...happy swinging,Simos

ALIBABAmember
52 posts

Posted:
any other move apart from thread the needle please. it is the only thing that aludes me.you can pass butterflys but it is scary.sammid and i tried "body wrap passes" which jesse asked about. basically wrapping the poi araound a limb whilst going and letting go of the handle so and the person next to you catchs the handles.note---- do this with loads of space. something to thind about though.

ALIBABACHICKENMANICANSEEYOURUNDERWEAR

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi All.My brother and I have been spinning for about two months. A while ago we discovered it is possible to do the chase facing each other standing just over a meter apart. The timing is tricky but it looks really good when you get it right as the sircles created by the chase intersect.Now for an explenation. Here goes.Start of by spinning forward in time facing each other. Stand far enough apart to avoid hiting the other persons poi. Then at the same time (we use a three count to get the timing right) start a chase on the same side (both left for instance) as you are facinf each other you should be spinning on opposing sides and crossing at the same time.Now for the tricky bit. One persone ducks down slightly while the other lifts his arms a little. The person at the top should try do the chase a little wider so the poi don't hit when thay cross. Now start moving closer to each other until each person's pois are swinging past each other on apposing sides of your body.Hope that's clear enough sounds harder than it really is if both performers are relatively good it shouldn't take too long to get right (it took us about 30 min). Once you have this down you can start swapping positions (Top to bottom and back) or start doing crossflows and circles and then coming back into formation.Good Luck.Regards Stephen.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Alrighty...so this is what I have come up with in this arena...and I use friends who aren't spinning as well as those who do....Face each other standing very closely..like chest touching close, Prometheus spins his staff over head so I start high on his body and do a butterfly behind HIS back (my arms wrapped around him), He stands with feet slightly apart so while I slowly drop to my knees, all the while doing the butterfly behind his back he lowers the staff behind me, while still spinning. I limbo backwards so that I am laying with my feet at my hips, butterfly over my chest and he does a spinning step over me. Also he spins behind my back while standing and I spin behind his. This can be done with one person doing poi and the other acting like a prop in many patterns. Also have you ever seen the human puppet...where a person stands with their hands behind them and another person feeds their arms through the first persons? This can be done with poi. The first person stands with arms straight out to the side, the poi swinger swings in low to the front of the first person, who then wraps his/her arms behind them around the poi person. All these can be done with staff and a few adjustments. You can play leap frog/limbo as well. Bend as far back as you can while spinning to the sides and your partner jumps over you while swinging, or if doesn't have the height for a jump they can do a leg swing over you. We have one that we finally got that involves poi and a fire rope...you can only imagine!!! tongueOkay, you twisted my arm! You need a long fire rope and jumping skills, poier stands swinging in figure eight, jumper comes up from behind and swings the rope around the poier to include him/her in the jump as well as the jumper himself. Hand involvement can be tricky where the fire is concerned. We also do this involving three people (two to work a dutch set of fire ropes and me jumping and poi-ing.). Very nice. coolAt any rate....I really don't think this needs to be said but I will anyway, these tricks above all else, practice without fire first...since you have more than yourself to concider catching on fire! winkBright wishes------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
hmm, cookies. this ubb thing chucks in my username just before i get to it. neat-o.moving together/synching. we're working on this as well. although not quite as well rehearsed as pele sounds (wow!) we do try for interactive freestyle type of stuff. when i'm spinning with Manu (someday she'll get her ass on the board)we make eye contact and then try to hold it while adjusting the pole/chain speeds so that the wicks are in time or split time, and slowly circle about each other, making close passes, changing direction, turns etc. when one moves, the other reacts, so that you get circular or otherwise symmetrical combinations, that builds a certain dramatic tension. well, for us anyway. we don't know if the audience picks it up. it usually lasts for about ten to fifteen beats (usually going faster and faster) from which either of us spins too fast or slow and then we just break out of it with throws or summin......and go back to doing our own thing.try it. eye-contact is good for orientation and it leads to interesting patterns, a bit like that 'follow-the-leader' that kids play.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think O brings up a really important point. Eye contact and trust are amazingly important when doing pairs. If you are facing each other you can almost "read" one another with good eye contact.....It's like playing the mirror game. Trust is important too, if either one doesn't trust the other then the fear will mess things up.Thought I'd emphasize that.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Coopermember
14 posts

Posted:
One trick i am not sure if if had been said yet or not. Your partner stands in front of you doing the butterfly in split time. His job is to make sure he keeps the same rythem and rememger to keep the poi at a 90 degrees towards you. So if you looked at it from the air it would look like a < and you do a > and you just move in slowly and they will mix. person 1 <> person 2 then from above it looks like X and you can get really close good effect and good rush! really good video too. #2 is for 4 people one person spins in time at there side = , and the others do the same and all stand in a square facing each other and you move in and it will look like a big cross. So in theory one persons left poi will cross through the right poi on the person on the right, and so on! #3 This on takes alot of practise. One person in the middle does a horizontal chase, another person moves in and does a normal chase directly in front facing you and his poi should just cut through your plain, timing is everything. and then you can add two more people one on each side, facing into the middle. Try all these and see what you think, I haven't seen anyone else do these so this should be interesting![This message has been edited by Cooper (edited 11 January 2001).]

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
this weekend a group of 4 of us got together (3 newbies and an experienced twirler) and got pretty far along. we're planning a 4-way routine for the early summer based on the theme of "gears". so far we've found that, standing in a square, you can do cool looking things just using simple tricks like the chase. one that we like doesn't actually pass the poi, but it does pass the chase: in a square, everyone spins forward, in split time. one person will start the chase and go through one complete side to side (then returns to just spinning forward). as they finish up, the next one takes it on, and it goes around the square...if we come up with anything really cool, we'll post!

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
you can kinda hug someone, doin the butterfly behind each other's backs, and then alternating over each others heads.ive only ever tried this unlit, and i tend to hit people in the arse. but it is possible. a guy i know does it with people who cant twirl, so they can see what it feels like to surrounded by fire.

LibraGOLD Member
47 posts

Posted:
A friend and I used to do something we called the "angelmove". We both shortened our pois (to 30cm or so) and made small circles with wide arms. I stood right behind her spinning in the same speed as her. Then the tricky part comes. On the count of three I went over her arms and spun one circle, went back and then under her arms and spun one circle. She moves her armes up a bit when I go under and down a bit when I go over. She also had to move her arms a bit forward when I was on my way back, and move them a bit back when I went in front of her. confused My pois came close to her face and it looked really cool, espesially with fire. We also did this "hugmove" that Clare described. This move looks great if you do it in the end of you're twirl/show. Then you can let the fire go out and let it get all dark while you two are standing there hugging. ( Ok, me and my friend who is a she did not do that. But.. if she was a he we would have)Did any of this make any sence?? No? Ok, sorry.. I'm a bit sloooow cause it's to late at night and I need some sleep. Yeees uhm sleeeeep.. smile smile smile

Blue Phreakmember
5 posts

Posted:
Both people face eachother doing a normal butterfly one with shortened strings the other with comfortable lengththe person with shorter strings pops it through his/her legs (this is tricky bc it hits the floor) the other person moves in closer nad flips his/her butterfly over their head. now this is where it gets really complicated the person whos fliped the butterfly over their head comes back over while the person who has it between the legs pops it back through (hitting the floor again) but now does a giant butterfly and passes it beyond the other raqvers legs so the 2 butterflys r on the backs of the opposite raver to get out is simply to backstep the process look under the 2 or more ppl needed for this move post thats also an interesting move