Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > poi: double glowstick wrap-switches

Login/Join to Participate

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I know this has been mentioned in passing befor, but I figured it was getting to the point of needing its own thread. #1 equipment: Poi with a glow stick on each end. I normaly use a chain about 18 inches long (plus glow stick length)#2 Wrap-switching: What this involves is hitting yourself with the chain and letting go of the glowstick handle and catching the other glowstick. When using two different colors the effect it rather mind-boggling.#3 Bodyparts: All body parts will work. However, the length of the chain deteremines the maximum circumference of the body part you can wrap around (example: if you are using six inch chains, you might have difficulty in wrap-switching around your leg...!) With an 18 inch chain i can wrap-switch around legs, arms, and neck. It looks the most fluid when the body part is about the same circumference as the chain. #4 With my six inch chains I can only warp around my arms. But, there is a cool move: doing a 3- beat weave, wrap-switch the crossed-over poi and keep weaving. When done fluidly it looks like a regular weave except the colors "magicaly" switch. #5 Last night I finaly tried to do Pozee's much vanted BTB weave wrap-switch. If it weren't for this burn on my back hurting so back (from the skin being flexed) I am sure I could have perfected it, but I did do it once, and it was very cool! thanks Pozee![This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 15 November 2001).]

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
wrap master funk! no problem man, glad you got it. i really like that one. it is very mind boggling when pulled off. one that i have been working on and can get most of the time is a double switch. when doing forward side circles you wrap them both underneathe the arms and catch the other ends. wrap them on the same arms, and i find it easiest to hold them like they are pencils.i did a lot of switches in the video i sent in, hopefully it makes the cut for the new compilation video.i love wrapping on tthe neck to switch them. i dont do much leg switches but i guess i should try yeah...

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
by the way WMF, have you tried to do a switch between the legs? i tried it a few times the other night and it is pretty easy as long as you are good with switches. looks really cool to.but then again dont all the switches look cool?

anyone got a light?

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
The first wrap switch I ever tried was on one leg, the second was the same one you just metioned, EXCELENT!!! (the double wrap-switch on the arms from a forward swing) Once again, Pozee and Dan are opperating on the same frequence and wavelength...SCARY! shocked#1 I also managed to switch (just a few times) on the upper arms going in the reverse direction, but it is a LOT harder. #2 When doing the double arm switch (forward), I used to miss about half the time and end up wraping on my arm. But, on about half of those misses, I can use my arms to keep it swinging and bring it around on my arms to go for another catch attempt. It is a "no hands thing" the poi is spinning around and I just sort of "catch it" with my arm (sort of like a role with a staff). I haven't "practiced" that one in a long time. #3 Yea, I do the double switch between the legs, it is on my tape I sent in....I used to call it the "NUT WRAP" (for some reason... confused )when I was using regular poi. however, you just gave me an idea!!!#4 from a reverse swing, double (simueltaniously) wrap on upper legs (while sqwatting slightly), BUT cross your arms as you do it, so that you wrap on the opposite leg with each poi!!! (left poi wraps on right thigh, and vise versa) I don't know if it will work yet...What else? My mind just went blank...don't worry, it happens...pause for station Identification.#5 Ok I'm back, From a butterfly, you can keep switching the ends by wraping on your wrists. (from a forward butterfly, haven't tryed reverse yet) #6 the other day, I had a friend of mine start doing kicks and punches, first from the side, and as he did them I would wrap-switch on his arms and legs. Then I had him start doing at me, and I would catch the other end, but not let go of the handle, so I could "tie him up" as he "attacked" me. It was all coreographed of-course.#7 on recoils...I saw john do a BTB weave recoil, it was cool. [This message has been edited by santanatwo (edited 15 November 2001).]

Warrenmember
12 posts

Posted:
I love doing the glowstick releases too. Most of the ones I do however I don't switch the color. One of my favs. is to do a double leg wrap release from a butterfly back into a butterfly, keeping it going the same direction. It is soooooooo hard to do, but when you nail it its worth it. I tagged it onto the end of my video submission for the competition, but it looks kinda forced (secretly hopes malcolm cuts that segment out). Also, ever tried getting the to wrap from one arm to the other back to the first? There's so many combinations and possibilities with releases! I'd love to see more people try them, cus then we'll see a lot of new tricks and innovation (hint hint!) smile

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
OOO! OOO! another wraper grin "excelent Smithers" :done in the voice of Mr. Burns off of the Simpsons: #1 How about doing a double wrap switch, one one each leg, while doing a double jump kick (legs out to the sides 45 degrees) #2 Or, how-about a double wrap-switch on one leg while doing a "side kick"

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
one of the wraps i do is from the weave wrap the neck with the right poi and the leg with the left poi, i am sure they could both be a switch, i do the neck one all the time, but havent done the leg and neck at the same time.lots of fun.lets see, this is difficult to nail, but do a double neck switch from a butterfly(i guess it would be easier if i had a long neck)wohoo!!using that move where you accidentally miss it and spin it with your arm lets take it to... got it, between the leg wrap and spin once with your arm and quickly take your arm out from under your leg and catch it regular.

anyone got a light?

Warrenmember
12 posts

Posted:
Those sound awesome, I'm gonna hafta try them next time I go out and spin. Yeah, I love wraps, and releases are definitely my favorite part of them. Here's a couple others I like doing. (They're kinda hard to describe but I'll do my best)Start from butterfly, wrap one arm, do a release, as the longer end swings around, let it wrap once around your other arm, (so that its wrapped around both) then get it to wrap off the arm you just wrapped it around, so its swinging in the opposite direction and unwraps from your first arm.Start from a butterfly again, wrap it around your arm about 2/3 the way up the string, then, release the other end, but throw it in the opposite direction the other end is spinning, so for a couple seconds it looks like you're doing an smaller butterfly around one arm, since you start the release about 2/3 the way up the string, one end bounces off your arm while the other is still wrapping so it start swing out which you can catch and then keep going! I've tried it a few times doing the release from about halfway up the string but it doesn't like to work that way (at least for me).What do you say we try and get malcolm to add a few of these releases to the advanced moves section of the website!! I think just the basic idea would be good to have there then leave the rest (advanced combos or more difficult tricks) up to the imagination.Also, I've been trying to come up with a way to kind of do a continuos release, where say you're in a butterly, do a release around one arm then turn 180 degrees or something like that, any of you had any luck with that?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
oooh, sounds promising! i will have to try the 180 thing. yeah, maybe after sending in all those wraps that we do malcolm will want to put them into some form of lessons.have you checked out the definitve list of wraps that we all came up with? there is a lot of good stuff in there, it took a while to try and put into words.by the way glad to have another wrap lover here.

anyone got a light?

Warrenmember
12 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah! I forgot about that list. Until recently I didn't post here much, just read, but I finally figured out how to change my password!! Yeah I love doing wraps, I was actually on the circle of light video, doing the moves that resemble rope dart (if you're familiar with martial arts). I wanted to do that because it was a different use of meteor that I really like, and, I wanted to do something different from everyone else. So doing that was kind of my first experiments with wraps. I'm also working on this thing where I get both poi into one hand (so I'm holding two glowsticks) and do staff moves.Glad to be here guys! I hope to get to see yall on the video.[This message has been edited by Warren (edited 15 November 2001).]