Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
ok, so there isnt exactly an infinite number of poi moves, and someone has very probably done this before. However I have searched for something familiar and have found no names associated with this move.I used to do this to practice getting my hands spinning behind my back (while learning btb weaves), and only decided it looks good when someone commented on it.Like most moves, but more so maybe, this looks shit with practice poi and amazing with fire.--------MOVE--------Spin your poi split time by your sides, then swing the left over to the right in front of you at the same time as the right to the left behind you. Repeat in reverse and you have it.--------------------It can be done in both directions and you can enter into it from the weave. It is effectlively the low wave but with your body turned through 90deg, however the hand motion is very different.What to call it, here we get to the problem, i was thinking:bobalways a good name and worthy of the move.any other ideas?Ithaca

------------------
errrm I intend to live forever, or at least die trying.
Voltaire

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
Yeah I started doing that move as well when I was trying to learn the btb weave. Helped me enormously. As to a name, how about: front and back figure 8.I admit it isn't a very good name but hey at least I tried.I've found that this move works really well with a turning low wave, which makes sense really because it is derived from it. Doing a front and back figure 8 and a low wave alternately while turning looks really good, even with practice poi.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I think the move you're discribing is what i call a "shooting the moon". A low-split time version of chasing the sun. It goes into everything nicely because if you break it down all you're doing is turning from forward spinning to backward spinning and repeat. And you can pretty much do anything from forward spinning and backward spinning.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
Ithaca, I know exactly what move you're talking about. A friend of mine dubbed it the 'flower'. I'm not sure why she did, but it stuck since. It is a good move to do while facing an audience in my opinion.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Phunky--I think Ithaca's describing a different move--what you are describing has the rotation on the left-right plane of the body (what I call the YZ plane); what Ithaca describes has the rotation on the fore-aft plane of the body (XY plane). Other than that, it is the same motion.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
ok, to clarify this:the poi swing split time in plane next to your sides. Then swap the left to the right round the front and the right to the left round the back. The poi when crossed still spin by your sides, and when you uncross them you can spin one split time when they are back (to left by left and right by right) and then repeat in the other direction.I havent experimented with doing it from low wave etc, but find it goes from weave nicely, and can be mixed up with intermittent weaves.as for name, I think it should be one or two words, flower is niceany other ideas....

------------------
Voltaire

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
no i think he's describing a shoot the moon the only difference is he starts out facing the direction he's spinning."Then swap the left to the right round the front and the right to the left round the back. The poi when crossed still spin by your sides"Basically what this says, my interpretation anyways is left to the right (infront) right to left (behind) is just turning to poi split-time, back and forth would be shoot the moon. You can contort your body in many different ways to make a move look different.Explaining poi moves are friggin hard...------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
Phunky,That is essentially what this is, the 'shoot the moon' thing but with the body turned 90deg. (Icidentally i like the shoot the moon name, I have been calling this the low windmill but will adopt shoot the moon).However the body turn makes it more impressive if you add an extra turn by your sides in each rotation (if you were shooting the moon you woul essentially be doing one behind the back one in front for two spins etc), this and the 90deg body turn makes this move look very different from the shoot the moon.Thinking about it it is also the equivalent of shooting the moon in oine direction and then turning 180 and shooting in the other, therefore this is a very different move to shooting the moon.Also if everyone can define a simple weave turn with a windmill in it as the 'fountain' then I can define this as a new move!!!!any other name ideas? [This message has been edited by Ithaca (edited 15 November 2001).]

------------------
Voltaire

Neekomember
68 posts

Posted:
***raises hand in a shy manner*** How about the flower? smile

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Ithaca, even though you can turn it doesn't mean its a new move. Think windmill over your head, when you turn above your head, is that a new move? no, its just the other way windmill. Same with what you are discribing. You can turn it left or right. You can turn any move in poi, horizontal or vertical (there are probably some exceptions, but that escapes me at this time). Anyways, it's a wicked move, the cornerstone of my spinning actually. Mixing it up with chasing the sun and shoot the moon is just plain fun.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

hexonlegsmember
12 posts

Posted:
THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!This move completely gave me the BTB weave in both directions. YAY!!

Ommember
4 posts

Posted:
Great practice for BTB weave, especially if you can get it only one way and not the other. (FWD./REV) Your "planes" are at your sides. Good way to get it is practice with one poi in each hand for a bit, then just alternate your hands when doing it together. I notice most people strike on reverse BTB first so here's explainin for the start of it. Here it is by the numbers for those that're havin trouble pickin it up. 1. Right poi, sweep toward you, over your left shoulder, 2. on the down arc, bring back to the right, but for only the upward arc, 3. then behind your back for the downward sweep, coming up on your left side 4. now on the next upward arc (arm BTB) bring it back down to your right 5. that'll give you a downward arc on your right ready to come back up and start with step 1.try same pattern with left arm, then do em together. There's by the numbers for those of you that can learn while thinking. If I think, it messes me up when learnin somethin new. So, if you're like me, just keep messin with going back and forth between BTB Weave and Weave. This works in both directions wonderfully.My friends I play with and those I teach, know it and learn it as the "Gremlin." It's name here from the way the body looks, rather than the pattern of the poi. I start there or get started on a long, amusing story. Think creepy arm movements, shoulders bunched up to ears, and a sinister grin staring at the crowd. Try it, me friends almost fall over laughin when I do it after they've had a drink or two. Me thinks it's an all around great move, helps build other moves, and a crowd pleaser due to both poi and body movement.i like my Gremlin wink grin Good journeys------------------Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

Ithacamember
45 posts

Posted:
Wicked, i hasten to agree, there is a gremlin like quality to the body movements whilst performing this move....ok so its the Gremlin then!

------------------
Voltaire

Tempestaddict
522 posts

Posted:
Gremlin is sooooooo good but what about slinky treekreeper? You know you wanna!Maybe this should go under a new combo thred seeing as though the fountain got its own name. It just means that long combos can be articulated accuratley and widely understood. TEMPESTIt's all in the wrist baby!