Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can someone tell me whats this and how to do it?

Login/Join to Participate

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
ok on the second 38 of this video Fluorescent poi from Jo Derry. Sheffield, England. Well worth watching as their is some pretty amazing moves here.on the homeofpoi videos section on the second 38 to second 44wtf is that??? and how should i do it??i can do all the other move but i miss that one and looks cool and i wanna do it smile

Dance like if noone were watching you

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
It's a veriation of the split time butterfly. It's easy once you learn it.(be sure to give Jo credit for it) It's all in the wrist. He does a crazy turn with it in the other video that I couldn't figure out, but I came up with some sick moves trying to figure it out. It took 2 seconds to learn and like 10 minutes to master. Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
I dunno wtf is split timeas far as i understand he is doing a butterfly then he turns his body to get a reverse buttterfly and then fast turn again to get in the forward butterfly then he does the same on the other side of his body....i am ok???and yeah i always say i got it from a video i saw tongue not like some other ppl that are saying that they had the idea but then i alredy saw it in a video that have like 1 year tongue

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
NightShade you crack me up all the time. grin Do you play with fire? I've only noticed your glow stick posts?

Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with normal people.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
why i crack you? hahahyes i jsut do it with glowsticks and photons soon too... :/ not with fire... i like doing it with other peps on parties and i dont think i will do fire poi on a party ;por on trance party either... i like my glowsticks or photons they own;p

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
What difference does it make if he spins fire or glowsticks?------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
It's your attitude! It makes me laugh! Seems to me that you are totally driven to learn as much as possible and that's great. On some of your other posts you come off, cocky as hell about what you do know, and because of that people don't answer your quiestions. I have a friend here in Ohio that has the same problem. He wants to learn and is willing to teach. But because he is so aggresive about it, people think he's showing off and wont play. I spin with him, but I'll be honest I have to work to keep up. I don't have the time to practise. I asked about the fire because that's our gig. We only use glowsticks when fire is unacceptable. They sting like hell when you catch yourself in the face! I don't want to make this a personal chat so you'll need to mail me if you'd like to chat more. ------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Phunky: It dosen't matter. grin[This message has been edited by Maelstrom (edited 07 November 2001).]

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Maelstrom, I've never noticed that about Nightshade1, far from it acctually. He's e mailed me numerouse times asking about moves. He has an uncontrolable hunger for poi, which is matched only by true poi enthusiest. Not arguing or sytarting fights, just letting you know he's cool in my book. Phunky, Still, "WAITING", for you to post your personals on the board. I'm just curious how old you are and stuff like that. Even though I didn't enter the comp I'm hoping you made it to the video so I can see what YOU got. NightShade1, Keep up the spinning and that little flame that burns in your heart will consume you, forcing you to light up. You'll love it, it's got a feeling of ecstacy to it that's only attainable through sex and spinning fire. Go, pop your cherry.Eric

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Nightshade,If you do a butterfly and switch side like Jo does it, it makes it kind of choppy, but if you split time it, it flowes around your body. DO a butterfly and make it so your glowsticks meet at the top and the bottom, now switch it so your glowsticks meet on the right and left side instead of the top and the bottom. That's a split time butterfly(when they meet on the right and left sides). You'll get it in no time, just go do it. Mess with it till you get soemthing that resembles a move.Eric

HappyStickermember
42 posts

Posted:
i was playing with this same move the other day and i found it very hard to get down unitl i started doing the butterfly a bit differently ..... intead of one hand slightly above and to the side of the other, try directly on top of the other, then just turn to the other side, seems to work fine for me although i can only do it left to right :-)

If you had a friend that was a tightrope walker, and you were walking down the street and he just fell over......that would be unacceptable.

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Start out doing a split time butterfly, bring it to your left (your left hand goes on top and tilted back at an angle) then when you go back bring it to your right side (your right hand goes on top and tilts back at an angle). That's the "Myst" break down of it, NOT TO THOROUGH, but the basic idea. Eric

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Myst,sorry bro, about a week before the deadline something came up and i couldn't really afford to send the vid to New Zealand by express. Should have got my shit together earlier, oh well.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Thanks a lot mist now i know what is split time... now i will try it with split time grinI get cocky on what i do???plsss man lol i cant get cocky on that cause ppl lot of ppl here are better than me lol like umm Mist doing neck wrap while he is doing the BTB butterfly i cant do that or doing 3 point ttn weave of bassman... how can i get cocky about knowing move if i know there are ppl wayy better than me blushi guess one of my best moves are BTB weave wraps and combos with BTB weaves and turn and lol... as far i see many ppl can do that here tongueNow i like learning cause i like having many stuff to do while im spinnning with music not getting monotone like some ppl i see that spin here i dont like it... it sucks IMHO tongue like doing the weave and windmill and that is tongue and spinning those 2 move as fast they can...(yeah some crowd like it) but i find it in my opinion not cool i like switching from move to move everytime with the rythm of the music thats cool and well i need to know more and more tricks to do what i like thats why i ask soo much tongueI wish i could do Myst neck wrap while im doing the BTB butterfly but i cant yet tho lolIn some words im just wanna learn to do what i like! poing with trance! thats the best thing! lol tongue[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 08 November 2001).]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
you are now limited to only 2 smilies a post. smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Mist i got a questionokayis a split time is when the pois crossover or they are a lil side to side okay my butterfly is this they crossover on the right side and left side and they are a lil side to side on the top and bottonokay which is split time? crossover or when they are side to side[This message has been edited by NightShade1 (edited 08 November 2001).]

Maelstrommember
135 posts

Posted:
Sorry people I wasn't meaning any of the early in a negative way or trying to start a fight. I was just trying to say that I enjoy reading Nightshades post. That was it. Once again I apologize.------------------Nothing good ever comes from hanging out with "normal" people.

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
Dont worry dude i even though it was my fault cause my english sucks lol smilei just though you missunderstood my post or something

Eddiemember
7 posts

Posted:
hehe, so I didn't search before I posted, but I just posted a lesson on how to do the move Nightshade is talking about.Subject is: A butterfly variationHope it helps...