Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Acrobatics & Multiple Twirler Tricks

Login/Join to Participate

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I want hear about any acrobatic moves you combine with twirling and any moves you can do with 2 or more twirlers.I can lay on the ground or back bend a little while doing "burn the nose". I can do a pretty low back bend doing a split time butterfly, though I've not tried it with any other tricks.---(leaves the keyboard for 2 minutes)---Now I can do it with the windmill.I've done some tricks with someone on my shoulders. Just do moves where the poi don't interfere with each other. If the person on top wants to do the butterfly and you're on the bottom, make sure they're confidant (face bashing otherwise)I do this trick where I pick up the twirler on my shoulders and they hang upside down by their kness and twirl while upside down. I've been trying to find a spot where I can hang upside down by my ankles and twirl.There are a number of tricks where two twirlers stand up against each other as tough having a big hug Ooooooooooooooohhh!!!This way they can do the butterfly behind the other persons back. I've heard it's possible to syncronise the timing so you can do btb bf at the same time, Yet to see it anyhoo.I've also tried to get 2 people standing back to back doing the lower fountain at the same time. Each twirler going to their respective right/left at the same time. Didn't try very hard and didn't really follow it up with much vigour to nail the trick.I know there are a ton a acrobatic tricks that staff spinners can do, so maybe one of you can start a thread on that (make it easy to find stuff in archive later)Hope this inspires you all to go out and try some stuff where you get to bruise someone else!! Haha! grin mad------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

LPHmember
20 posts

Posted:
good moves ,man ! ,was playing with afriend 2 weeks ago and we came up with the next 1 : 1 guy is lying on his back doin TTN upwards ,while there is another twirler standing above him doin TTN downwards (the chains of the guy doin TTN up should be shortenned so they wouldn't get caught on the other guy's legs ).and then you get 2 TTN's 1 against the other ,1 from above ,1 from down . enjoy ,and keep up the posts about multiple twirlers tricks !! there's agazilion of new tricks to be discovered in that field smile

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
There was just another thread on this one not too long ago, in fact I thought this was the same one. So do a search and you'll find more stuff. I've bee experimenting with doing my poi one handed while doing a one handed cart wheel. I'm not very acrobatic though, and can't do a no handed cartwheel or backhandspring or anything like that. I've been teaching a few people how to spin poi, and been waiting on them to get the basics down, but I have already been thinking about comming up with tricks involving more than one person. I haven't got much more than the standard two person juggling thing (that we've all seen) in mind though.

later - Smilee

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I found the other thread just then, I was actually looking for overhead one hand bf. I wouldn't have started this thread knowing that there was so much good stuff on "poi for 2" it's just that it's hard to search for it. What would be the keywords?Check out "Poi for 2". I promise to search more diligently in future. grin

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
n8, i and our buddy travis have been working on some triples moves. it's pretty sweet, i'll have to make a video or somthing cause it would take to long to explain. n8 and i also do a lot of couple moves (back to back, hug of death etc). i can do a couple acrobatic moves. i'm slowly figuring how to do a no handed cartwheel while spining. i can do one handed cartwheel , forward rolls, backward rolls. keep the ideas coming. i love trying new things------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
JT can do a back-hand-spring with a staff, a front-hand-spring with staff, and a one handed front-handspring with long staff in one hand and ground in the other. He can also do many "under the leg" aria kicks (some double-kicks too). He can also do a front flip with poi, and a front role (fast, not slow) I do some of that jump kicking with staff pass under leg stuff. also*Behind the back pass during a double front snap kick (left then right kick)*staff helicopter - jump double side kick (simeotaneouse kicks, kind of like the splits, only legs out at 90 degrees from eachother)*I have completed a one handed front-hand-spring with long staff a few times but I haven't spent the time to perfect it yet. *With poi I have a jump-spin-double-side-kick durring a 3 beat weave, and I do the same with staff. It almost looks like that Darth Maul move on Star Wars. *I don't know if standing on one leg and throwing kicks with the other in all directions while wraping on them and my arms is considered acrobatics, But I do that too.* I used to do the back bend thing with the butterfly*I have a move with my chains, they are 18 inch chains with glow sticks on each end. I jump in the air during a regular forward swing and raise up my knees, The poi chains hit my thighs and I release the glow sticks at the same time and catch the other ends. The colors change...preaty...

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Santomember
9 posts

Posted:
hee hee this is cool, I didn't realise anyone else was doing this stuph. The DRAGON is the best acro/fire move we do, alot of you probably know it already but i'll explain anyway. Start with a sturdy base (i'm the sturdy base for us) then get a lighter poi twirler to sit on the bases shoulders, now get an even LIGHTER third person who can firebreath to stand in front facing away from the other two, the person on top of my shoulders sticks her legs under the arms of the person standing in front. I put my hands on the one in fronts waist, she then jumps up and wraps her feet around MY waist. So you've got one set of legs on the ground, one twirler on the shoulders and one firebreathing head sticking out the front with arms free to twirl as well, you can walk around and turn quite easily. I've done this with two 80kg guys...all very drunk(unlit of course). So really it's not that hard.also we do alot of standing on shoulders stuff, last tuesday we had me doing a one handed butterfly above my head while tanding on Javiers shoudlers, then with my spare hand i can hold a juggle torch and do a fire breath out of the middle of the circle of fire. Then we fell down.also one handed butterfly on knees bending backward till headtouches the ground, and a firebreath out of the centre of that.We're woirking on a flaming fish sandwich but we're pretty unstable. Any other acro/fire moves that people do?? i'd love to learn more."put it down Gene, just PUT IT DOWN"

GoldenKrispymember
60 posts

Posted:
Wehey, I'm learning acrobatic now on my theatre course! I'm not all that great yet, but id love to add some spinning to the moves! Im going to have to perfect them first though!Keep Smiling grinGolden

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I'm so impressed! I like the people stacking stuff. More! grin

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

smileemember
40 posts

Posted:
Wow! The DRAGON sounds hellacool! I will have to see if my friends are up for trying it! I have never seen anything like that before.WIKKED!!!

later - Smilee

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
I've done a bit of acrobalance, but never really had the chance to combine it with fire much (chosen victims being reluctant and all). But I just thought I'd add that for balances where there's normally a hand to hand grip between two people (eg the basic thighstand, hand-to-hand balancing, etc), you can use a staff instead - ie one partner holds the staff horizontally and the other partner also holds the staff with their hands inside or outside the others'. If that makes any sense. Somebody come to dunedin and play with me, dammit! ;-)x

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

Ommember
4 posts

Posted:
partner moves...An easy way to get into the "hug of death" Start with the plain FWD swing to get in synch. and move forward, face to face. Easier to have the shorter person duck arms under the taller and if swinging is pushing further away (panned out) from the body rather than directly at sides to make room for your partner. Now "pan in your plane" around to make a BTF behind each other's back. Timing get's important here so practice helps you learn the other's movements. With a count together, or one person calling shots, give a "hold, hold, break" or "1,2,3".. whatever, and break back into BTB BTF or the "panned out" fwd swing. Methinks these starting maneuvers were briefly explained by PJ. and Superman on the Poi for 2 thread. But don't stop there! Keep your timing and you can maintain a back and forth BTF behind your partner's back and a BTB BTF. After that, try the low wave, aka mexi wave, around each other. Should come easy whereas it's just a split up BTF. You can break up in between moves or (I like to) flow straight into the next without the break. Depends on the show you want to give. So, that's 2 so far. 3. get close again, think "buddy hug," get your timing down and one hand goes high over the other's shoulder, the other low in a sweeping, incomplete (due to your partner keeping your wrists far apart) butterfly motion. (I like to start with me right hand) Alternate between this and BTB BTF or that panned out swing with arms up. (whatever's comfortable) Trick here is that your arms become one line of a huge "X" while your partner's the other. 4. After some practice with those and knowin your partner better. try stuff like alternating who goes high and who goes low with the first and second moves. Think for these Alt. BTF Combos. I practiced with a tree for a while to avoid masses of beatings on my friend, after that, it wasn't long before we were lit up and doin it for a crowd. Find someone you can do this with, and a practice will end in either lotsa bruises (for once not all self-inflicted) or an incredibly passionat.... well you get the idea. Or both. Either way, lotsa fun. By the way, this be me first post after wandering the shadows for a good while. Figured it about time I put back into all the interesting moves this B.B.'s sparked ideas to try. Good journeys.------------------Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

Tigereye in Liquid Green Marble

pinkbuddhamember
12 posts

Posted:
if you have a heavy duty staff you can do cartwheels off the end of it. i must stress heavy duty. you'll have to grip the staff pretty far down which means you'll burn your hand a fair bit. another neat poi/staff trick is the butterfly kick. (the think the figure skaters do when they swing their legs in the air) you spin the staff/poi above your head for the wind up and below you doin the kick. looks wicked if you can pull it off. i just learned how to do aerial (no hands) cartwheels a while ago but haven't managed to do anything with it yet. pb

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
bump smile

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Kinniemember
7 posts

Posted:
WOW, the Dragon sounds AWESOME! I really wanna get into some acro and contortionism but I don't think my body is built for it frown . oooh, a cool idea:Hang upside down on a trapeze and spin fire! While swinging! That would look so cool. But would be very dangerous I'm sure.

Pardon me while I burst into flames. I've had enough of the world, and its people's mindless games...- incubus

Rick aka LokiBRONZE Member
134 posts

Posted:
Girl From Mars: This may or may not help, but here's a bit written on no-handed cartwheels with poi (I imagine you can already do no-handed cartwheel without poi, since you're down with all those other one-handed moves)https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000215.htmlReally, I've found that wrist-wrapping chains is the easiest way to adapt most martial arts kicks and movements to poi. Staff, obviously, kind of adapts automatically. Maybe check out some footage of martial arts weapons competitions if you want to be inspired.To kick a public horse, the Dragon sounds phat. Can't wait to try it. Once again I'm grateful to have all of you out here working on moves and sharing them with the community.Peace and Love,Rick

-Rick aka Loki
oh, man, a signature?... uuh... this is like coming across wet cement... uuh, shoot, I had something clever I was saving... I hope I don't run out of sp

Dragon7GOLD Member
addict
625 posts

Posted:
:cough:

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Firenix is using a bit of acro with his partner. I´d like to see acrobalance with staff passing please dude!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
I read in another thread that you can do cartwheels and handsprings with poi, so I'll have to give that a go. In the mean time, here's some suggestions for the more gymnastic amongst you.

A friend of mine does 540s with a staff in each hand, so I reckon I could adapt that for poi. If that works, I'll try a double leg.

Handsprings with a staff are surprisingly easy, as long as you are willing to land on your knuckles. Aerials with a staff are also pretty easy as long as you don't hold it too close to the end and you keep it in line with your arm.

If you can do a one handed cartwheel with poi, try turning it into an au batido.

There's the obligatory front roll / front tumble / dive roll over a buzzsaw, but someone else has probably mentioned that already.

If you have a flexible / muscular back, lie down after bending backwards with a butterfly, then kip up back to standing.

PS,
I'm attempting to get an aerial (no handed cartwheel) with poi. Spinning one and getting the legs vertical is hard enough, spinning two and not drilling straight into the ground is more of a challenge. Can somebody link me to the no handed cartwheels text?
Also, what is this "jump-spin-double-side-kick" that DJ Dantana writes about?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my tv don't work without no aerial

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always