Page:
phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'm hurting to learn any new moves. Just wondering if any of you guys had any signature move that you've never seen any one else do or that rarely do.Here's mine, not really that difficult (actually at the time it was) but I've never really seen anyone else do it.Hmmm, how do i explain. Ok, right before a 5-beat weave on the left side going to the right side, instead of tucking your left hand around your right hand to continue the 5-beat, tuck your right hand under your arm pit and have your left arm outreached so there are 2 circles at your left side for one beat or how many you want... From there you can continue on to a weave or 5-beat and do it on the other side. It's a really cool looking move. If you have long poi you really have to stretch or else the poi hit each other.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====[This message has been edited by phunky (edited 15 October 2001).]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey phunky, not sure if you like wraps, but my wraps are my signature. most of them are on the other thread though. have you done the half neck wrap where you throw your head back to unwrap it. how about the jumping moves like jumping over a 1hand BFLY, or between the legs when you jump? you have probably seen or done most of these, just thought i would give you some input.

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
The only thing about my twirling that is distinctive, is the way I twirl. I havent seen anyone else twirl like I do. I like to think I have my own style which is my sig smilea move would have to be particularly difficult I think, for anyone to call it a signature (although I reckon Poz has some that he has every right to call a .sig move).Josh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I actually have done those moves smileThat half-neck wrap one is actualy pretty standard stuff around my city.I dunno, not knocking wraps or anything but my view on wraps is this. You can consider a wrap one of two things.1) A way to change the direction of the poi-I feel that there are smoother and graceful ways to change the direction of the poi, a quick stall, or kick, a turn. There are tons of them. Moves that link to other moves. Everything links together. 2) Or you can consider it a move in itself-The thing is, I find that wraps arent that challenging. Don't get me wrong there are some pretty difficult wraps. But after reading that wrap thead i could pretty much do the wraps on the first try. And the difficult ones... it's not the wrap itself that is hard, its the move following the wrap. A lot of people can't do the btb weave, so therefore any btb wrap will be difficult for them. A lot of people don't know how to do a one-handed butterfly, so any one handed butterfly wraps is out of the question.Anyways, this thread isn't about me not liking wraps (in which i don't not like them, i just think there are other priority moves that i do before them).It's about your crazy new/old signature moves!Keep em coming! smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okey dokey phunky. now between you and me, this is not going to end up one of those threads that gets into a pissing contest. i personally like wraps, i think they look nice to the viewer. and they seem to like them too. i was just saying that when someone watches me they tend to realize that they have met me before because of the crazy wraps that i do. hence the signature. and it is not just the wrap that i do, but the endless combinations of wraps. i agree, a simple wrap is easy, but throwing 5 to 10 quick wraps in when the poi are going really fast gets a bit tricky.okay i am going to stop now so noone takes me the wrong way. phunky, i hope you find a cool new move from your post, if i see anything amazing and outlandish i will be sure to let you know.

anyone got a light?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'm not in a mood for a pissing contest either. Never intended to get into one, just expressing my views.Anyways, i've yet to see an "advanced" wrap spinner. So when i see you on the competition vid (and i know you'll make it) i might see the errors of my ways. I'm expecting big things from ya smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
the feeling is definately mutual my fine outspoken friend. smile

anyone got a light?

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I move I haven't seen anyone do before, but I wouldnt call a signature move because i cant do it properly yet, is a corkscrew dive-roll sort of thing.Its hard to explain, but basically you get a sort of one-handed corkscrew going, then on the downswing, throw your hand in front and below you, do a sort of dive-roll thingy, and then get up, by which time the poi should be on the upswing part of the corkscrew.At the moment it's a fairly painful move for me to do because I usually land too hard or otherwise damage myself, but once I get good at it it should look really cool.

Kosmik Lunatikmember
58 posts

Posted:
What up, well its kinda a combo move, but it goes a little something like this. Start by doing a corkscrew above your head and to the right of you (keeping your body forward the whole time) Then tranfer to a 3beat weave in front of you and then tranfer back to the corkscrew only on the left side of you. It will work itself out. PeaceMatty

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I usually do this move where I go into a reverse butterfly, tangle the strings hopelessly, then slowly sulk off of the dancefloor deperately trying to undo the knot. I've seen some guys try to steal it but, and I'm not being cocky-just honest, I've never seen anyone do it better than me.With fire I usually like to hit the back of my left shoulder. I can do it from any position or move. I guess it's just a gift. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
NYC dude! whats your secret? wink

anyone got a light?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
NYC you rock! I keep trying to do that but the strings just keep undoing themselves!!! grinHowever, my signature move is one I've been hesitant talk about, in light of the number of "delicate personalities" tongue here on HoP.I have a SIDEWAYS FIGURE36 with my single staff (ie a FIGURE8 with four spins in front and four behind).Not so fancy I hear you say, but there is a little twist (hee hee hee great pun) to it.It takes a bit of a warm-up and some help form a member in the audience.First, I dislocate my right elbow so it bends in both directions easily and then do the SIDEWAYS FIGURE36. I don't do it for long coz it hurts like hell, but if busking it tends to get the guys watching throw heaps of money as the girls scream and hold onto their boyfriends tightly.I can teach you the method if you like, Phunky, you did say you were "hurting" to learn a new move, i'm sure it can translate to poi but it depnds on your physiology as much as your skill. Actually, you just dislocate both your elbows and you won't even need a set of poi, just swing your arms around in the same patterns!!!!!!!!!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nzPS - I'm not joking about the staff move, but not suggesting people try this without an idiotic person like me whose done it before...[This message has been edited by Charles (edited 19 October 2001).]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Charles...E-mail me on the easiest way to dislocate your shoulder. I'm serious too. I can see some new possibilities smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Is that figure 36 basically running it through your fingers til it gets to the space between your ring and pinky (4 full rotations), swapping to behind, and running it back up to a 'standard' grip (four full rotations)?Josh

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
LOL, anything Behind the back is my signature move. It's to the point where Pozee makes fun of me cause I always end up doing shit behind my back. Maybe one day I'll make a routine completely behind my back. I say make a routine cause If I were trying to freestyle it, I'd probably end up doing stuff in front of me.Eric

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
hey, btb stuff is my signature biznatch!STOP JOCKING MY STYLEZ!heh smileActually, i was thinking for the competition vid to do everything behind my back. Though nixed the idea because it seemed kinda cocky. Not to mention kinda boring, it's cool for maybe a minute or two.I was thinking, maybe in an alternate universe where everyone learned the stuff btb before forwards. That would be f**cked! People would be bragging about how they just did a 5-beat infront of them. "MUAH LOOK AT MY L33T SKILLZ, FORWARD 5-BEAT, BEAT THAT!"heh smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
Looking forward to see your skillz Phunky, I've been waiting a while, although, no vid for me. sorry! And would you enter your info into the HOP rollcall, I've been waiting.Eric

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
"...i've been waiting"sounds like you're ready to stalk me or something :P------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
No just very curious.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Kids, don't start. wink I already broke up a fight today and I'm not in the mood to break up another one. Don't make me have to call your parents or write you a referral to the Dean. If you boys can't play nice than I'm going to have to take your toys away and you don't want that do you? tongue

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I'm just kidding around, it's all in good fun smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Something I've only seen 2 other people do is what I call a wheel, where both poi are twirled forwards in front of you between your arms forming a wheel of fire right in front of your face. I have to wrap a bit of chain around my hands so it fits, and I usually do it after twirling for a minute or two so there isn't too much fuel left on the wick to fly into my eyes.The wheel bit is easy, but then I either kneel down and bend back, or lay down on the ground while continuing the move. Laying down flat makes a little hard to control, because your shoulders affect the rotation.Something that is a big "signature" of my twirling friends is that we give heaps of encouragement to people when they learn something new.------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I believe that is called the "burning the nose" move. Very cool move indeed. I there's an explanation of that move somewhere on this site. ------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

HitokageSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I came across an extrememly simple move that I have never seen before (surprisingly). I just thought of it last night when doing "air poi" in front of the mirror (yes, I do poi even when there is no poi to swing!). So anyway...do a horizontal butterfly or weave, I don't think it matters. Now, rather than doing it in front of you like normal, do it on one side of your body. Then bring your hands above your head and quickly switch sides. I have no idea how it actually looks, having never seen it done before, but I do know that it works, because I tried it this morning.------------------"Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form." -Hitokage---FireStorm---(jimidawg@snet.net)

Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever -Mahatma Ghandi

Burning--the process of breaking things down into a simpler form. -Hitokage-

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Now take that move, and quickly alternate it back and forth and you have a double horizontal butterfly above your head. IF you really want to get daring, try doing a double circular tricept wrap(listed in the moves post), between each side.CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
[For nightshade]------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

PoiGirlBRONZE Member
114 posts

Posted:
It's not too special because some of my other friends sometimes do it too, but I came up with it first (I think..): doing a back bend (how low can you go?) while doing windmill. I was dying to do something Matrix-y, and since I couldn't figure out The Matrix move described somewhere on this site, I came up with this myself. But also everyone has a unique style, and mine is my signature.
devil

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
my least lame poi movement is a fwds tumble with the poi between my legs entering from the front, not touching the ground or stopping. If i am worthy of COL5, then there could bee foot age of that on it.
when you love to throw youself about and have a broken leg-thing, then tumbling is the only show in town peace

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
My favorite is horizontal hyperloop insides with some wrap thingie smile

POI THEO(R)IST

talesstranger
10 posts

Posted:
Written by: audax

Something I've only seen 2 other people do is what I call a wheel, where both poi are twirled forwards in front of you between your arms forming a wheel of fire right in front of your face. I have to wrap a bit of chain around my hands so it fits, and I usually do it after twirling for a minute or two so there isn't too much fuel left on the wick to fly into my eyes.
The wheel bit is easy, but then I either kneel down and bend back, or lay down on the ground while continuing the move. Laying down flat makes a little hard to control, because your shoulders affect the rotation.
Something that is a big "signature" of my twirling friends is that we give heaps of encouragement to people when they learn something new.

------------------
Your parents were wrong
Fire is good
Play with fire

wow over here the wheel is really common. i usually do a behind the back wheel into a backward summersalt or i'll just do as many summersalts as i can till i get dizzy and fall over as my sig i guess, its not that hard to do really. also there is a ton of wheel variations like forward, backward, one forward and one backward witch looks like a freaked out butterfly, also under the legs is cool lookin.

im too tired to type...

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
my signiture consists of alot of wraps.... I wrap both chains around my thighs in an alternating pattern and keep them going. right poi around front of right leg, then left poi around front of left leg, then right poi around back of right leg, then left poi around back of left leg.... repeat. then right poi around front of left leg, left poi around front of left leg, lift the right leg and let the right poi wrap under the leg and aroundthe back of the left leg. left poi around the back of the left leg. right poi does a half wrap to the back of the right leg. left poi wraps around the front of the left leg, right poi wraps around the right leg and returns to where we started at the beginning of this post. from there... sometimes.... you can wrap both poi around the back of each leg into an over head butterfly. it's cool stuff. try it.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Page: