Page:
NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
jeez i have tried and tried this move and i cant get it!!! frownokay give me tips maybe also i got a question when you do a 180 turn with the butterfly doing tread on the neaddle you get in a Reverse butterfly doing Tread on the needle... or where i am wrong???

Dance like if noone were watching you

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
What is a 3tnn???I know what ttn is..Sorry for my ignorance..------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i mean 3 points tread on the needle weave...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Learn how to do TTN in rvs and fwd directions, then just move between them on one side of your body (ttn lower fountain?) then move it to the other side for a rep...270 static turning ttn or 3 point ttntry it starting from a rvs in front, most ppl seem to have trouble with the rvs, if you do that one in front you have the easier fwd version to do on the sides, which may make it easier.Josh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
That's it? :P I guess I can add that to my list of moves. :P3ttn eh...CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

NightShade1member
368 posts

Posted:
i can do the reverse Ttn my problem is when i turn.... dunno what happens... frown i will keep practicing.. thanks for telling me is like a ttn lower fountain smile that helped a lot =)

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
argh, where did all of these terms come from?3-point thread the needle weave...sheesh.All the 3-point ttn is, is turning the ttn in a half circle back and forth, hence to break it down just turning the thread the needle. It's like someone naming moving a the weave back in forth something... oh wait, lower fountain... lol.j/k smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Around the World (360o Weave)....------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
why people name combinations is beyond me...just seems stupid to me.my 2 cents------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Because it's easier to say:Do a Fountain.than:Facing to your left, do a weave, spin it into a windmill, and then a weave to the rightJust seems easier to name the combo.. :Pjust my 2gp------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
ok thendo a flying pig...my point exactly.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Naming combos makes putting routines together easier.cuz your combo name covers a series of movements, you dont have to remember the names and order of each individual move.it makes it easier to practice each phrase too..I called it a TTN Lower fountain, cuz I thought it might help him conceptualise what I was typing about. It seems it did. BTW - it seems your idea of a 3 point TTN is different to mine and Bassman's (at least by your description).In this case the move is not the same for both of us. HmmI think naming moves is stupid.I think communication is stupid.Josh

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I really don't think poi is about routines and combos. Poi is freedom of movement. When i first started poi, i would think what moves would go together. I thought poi was very limited at first. As i practiced (and boy did i ever practice) i found out that everything goes together, everything flows and every move made sense. I thought less and less thought how to do moves and concentrated on where the poi can be at what times. I never think in my head anymore "do weave, do windmill", poi is just an extension of my dancing now. I just direct where i want the cirlces moving around me.Anyways, 3-point thread the needle. starting from the middle, turn left, don't move body, back middle, go right.Naming combos is stupidHow many times has someone posted on how to do a fountain?I think Myst coined a phrase TTN weave, which i believe was just turning a TTN back and forth. Bassman used the phrase 3-point thread the needle.And now we have a confused Nightshade asking what the hell is a 3-point thread the needle weave is.Communication is stupid...------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i think we name things so that we can explain them here in this forum. if we cannot SHOW a person the fluid things we like to do, or something we think goes well with certain dances or other things, we have to put names to it.if everything was going around saying "you know that one thing that you can do that goes into that other thing perfectly" there would be no HOP and a lot of people would never have gotten as far as they have.i will admit the names bugged me at first, because i had named them something totally different before i cam here. one reason i named them in the first place was so that i could call it out when i was twirling with my friends so we could synchronize when putting on a show.I THINK (meaning in my opinion, not based on fact as opposed to just saying the latter) bitching about names is stupid

anyone got a light?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I doubt people not naming combos would be the end of hop. HOP isn't a messageboard, its a site. Naming moves is not a problem. Naming combos is. There are an infinite number of combos you can do, and if everyone decided to name a combo it would lead to much confusion. People say that naming a combo like a fountain is easier than saying weave windmill reverse weave. You're probably right it is easier, but think of all the time you're going to waste explaining what a fountain is to the next person. Pretty much saying weave windmill reverse weave all over again to explain what a fountain is. In the long run, you'll spend (not neccesssarily you but someone else) more time explaining than just typing out the routine in the first place.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hence the underappreciated search button huh?

anyone got a light?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I think you've been around long enough to know newbies don't use the search function. A question about the fountain pops up every 2nd week or so.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
true, but that is what the moderators and the older people on the board are for. well, at least that is what usually happens. oh well, cant have everything our way can we.

anyone got a light?

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
the older people on the board usually complain about how newbies don't use the search function and nothing is done.the cycle continues lol...------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think we should defintely pander to the lowest common denominator.Instead of telling the newbies to go use the search, we should just explain the same solution everytime they ask the same inane question.Phunky, as you seem to think this is the way to go, I suggest you explain to every newbie that comes along all the basic answers.I adapted an old proverb, this kinda explains how I feel on this.---Answer a mans question, feed his curiosity for a minute. Teach a man to find his own answers, feed his curiosity for a lifetime.---Josh

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
At least once you explain "fountain" once to the person though..from them on in future conversations, you can say "fountain" instead of weave, windmill, rev weave..just like any other "move" that we all 'learn' The moves on this site are only the general consensus. We could all wake up tomorrow and start calling the corkscrew, the sjalidfhsdjkfsdj,ing move. :P As long as we all recognize that as the same move, who cares.. :P Naming a Combo is like making an acronym..it's just shorter..but means the same thing, saves time in the long run.CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
How about creating a "HOP shorthand"? We could have a page detailing the notation and it would make explaining moves so much easier. There is already a start to this on the forum as many people use the same abbreviations.For exampleF = ForwardR = ReverseH = HighL = LowBHB = Behind the BackW = WeaveCS = Cork ScrewBF = Butterfly(L) = on your left(R) = on your right-> can be used to indicate a transition from one move to another.and you could devide each abbreviation with a "." to make it easier to read.Using this notation a fountain would be: (R)F.W->CS->(L)R.WI haven't given this too much thought but I am sure we could come up with a pretty good notation that everybody can understand. We could than also have a page containing a list of combos that will be concise and easily understandable

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
HOP shorthand...now thats an idea!Though everyone has to put imput into how one should be created to make it work.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Auger282member
81 posts

Posted:
EDITED_BY: Auger282 (1429499100)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
IMHO we don't need a shorthand. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've been reading the new wrap posts and understand everything fine in plain old English. Let's not upset the apple cart...I can't imagine reading:(R)F.W->CS->(L)R.Wand being able to figure out a fountain if I didn't already know it... You are leaving out important words like "while" "after" "before" "quickly" "slowly" "while keeping your arms straight" etc... There's a big difference between "while doing a weave" and "after doing a weave" If y'all want to email eachother with that, it's all good. I feel that the posts on here should be as accessable and understandable as possible to all.Just one guy's opinion.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
Learning off others is one of the greatest aspects of what we do. If anyone wants to ask a question, let them go for it. Then there is an interaction, which is one of the most vital parts of our art. Whenever I see a question involving something already covered on the site, I answer and include the appropriate link. Then they get a human response, and are introduced to the other areas of HOP.As for naming combos, isn't a name for a "move" the same as a name for a combo of individual swings? So what could be wrong with naming a combo, which is really just a lot of swings? Argue me that, phunky!Nightshade, good luck with your 3pt.ttn. I don't even know what that is to tell you the truth, but I'm going to search the site and master it before the end of this week. grin------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
FBF->(R)RBF->FBF->(L)RBF->(OTH)BF->(T)BF->(BHB)BF->(L)RBF->(R)RBF->(OTH)RBF-> FBF->(T)BF->LBF->(TAB)BF If you manage to decode and learn this combo first the 3point TTN is easy.Wonder if it's possiable to do an over the head TTN. Well off to give myself brain damage grin------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hi NYCI understand your point about learning new moves just using the notation and obviously not all moves will be easily described using this notation. You could also throw words like "slowly", "with straight arms" etc in if they are needed. But if you have a look at KNagi's post and take the time to read the combo he describes in it you can see that it is relatively easy to follow (at least I thought so) and imagine how many paragraphs it would have take to write it out."Start with a forward BF in front of you then do a forward BF on your right then do a forward buterfly on your left ....."We would need some more input from everybody to decide on a proper notation but I think it can be usefull (IMHO).There could be a page detailing all notification and there could also be an example of the notation with each lesson in the "Poi-lessons" section. It will also cut down on the problems people are having with multiple names for the same move.Well that's my two cents. smile

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
Actually i thought it was pretty easy to follow also once you get a hang of the notation.Knagi- You can do a thread the needle above your head. Horizontal thread the needle. You can also turn to reverse by bringing it down below the arms or vice verca. It's tough with long chains though.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
So let me get this straight....the arguement started off saying that newbies wont know the combination names, and will ask repetitively what the combinations entail.... but this is solved by a shorthand .... new people are still gonna come along and go WTF is that, and ask the same old questions again and again....I dont see how that will solve anything, if there even is a problem at all...*shrug*

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
The difference is you're going to probably type less. If this catches on, there will probably be a page on the move notations. Point the newbies in that direction if they haven't already found it. Also, i think poi needs something more structured on how to explain moves and combos. I used to do freestyle footbag (hackysack) and the way they explained the moves was complicated at first but when you got the hang of it learning moves was a breeze.https://www.footbag.org/facts/show?id=941568619------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Page: