Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Definitive Listing of Wraps...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In doing a search on wraps I found it difficult to sort through them all. Most of the post turned into conversations about one particular wrap or glow/fire arguements winkWhat I would love, as I am JUST starting to get into wraps myself, is a listing of:1) What wraps you wrappers do.2) How well they lend to glowsticks or fire.3) What moves go into and out of the wraps.I know that this is a big request, but if we ban together our information we only have to do this once. Then we can refer all wraps rookies (like myself) to this thread.Thanks guys...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Marlboromember
180 posts

Posted:
BIG RESPECT for the info. I was just picking a few wraps up, and now there's no holding back!! grinM:-)~

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
naganootch, here is a simple one to get you started so you do not have to lift up your leg. spin your poi on riverse, now at the top of the arcs if you move your left leg out a bit more to widen your stance, the wider the easier, then on the downswing of the poi just bring your arms a bit closer to your sides, and they should do a pretty easy wrap.just a couple wrap combos:one hand butterfly: left arm wrap, right leg wrap, neck wrap, same arm (right)wrap on top, behind the head left arm wrap, same arm wrap from underneath, split time left leg wrapregular butterfly:right poi left arm wrap, right poi BTB left arm wrap, right poileft leg wrap, right poi right leg wrap and left poi right arm wrap, to both poi double right arm wrap to both poi both leg wraps to the weave.more to come...

anyone got a light?

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Prozie, Your descriptions are great. I've already picked up my first three wraps and feel almost confident about them. I wish I had more time to practice! I know that there are a few that I'm not even THINKING about trying yet. All in time, I guess.I must say, I really like being far from the best in that I know I can easily turn to someone and learn a new trick. I know, without you guys I'd probably have put the poi down long ago after "mastering" the butterfly and weave. It's good to have inspiration... wink(HEHE... That aught to be enough kiss ass to get a few more wraps out of the bunch... Naa, I kid, it's all true.)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ScRuBBSILVER Member
9 posts

Posted:
IMHO, wraps look better with glowsticks in a very dark room. Since glowsticks are so much lighter than wicks, they move much quicker, leaving much longer spiral tracers in your audience's vision. Also, the glowsticks bounce off your limbs better, giving a faster exit from the wrap. What do you guys think? Can you get the same effect with fire? (I've yet to try that) Has anyone submitted videos of fire wraps? Pele I'd love to see some stuff with that 5-wick thing of yours. Sounds nuts.------------------Ouch, dammit! Frickin poi, stop hitting me!

Ouch, dammit! Frickin poi, stop hitting me!

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
great thread thanks guyrls.here's one i've been trying, its a bit of a 'disaster' move like in skating where everyone thinks you're going to fall......in corkscrew or other horizontal circles, sync the poi and bring them low and fast to both wrap both ankles,appearing to tie ur feet together. hahaha. this looks good if you don't actually tie ur feet together. cool thread, again thanks.o-o

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Right - I'm sueing you all! Just come in from a learning session but have had to give up after smashing myself in the face twice and finally (to cap it off) a really solid whack in the nads! Grrrrr. Great thread peeps - I'll try learning more when my body stops hurting smile------------------I have only one burning desire....let me stand next to your fire

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
nother wrap to try...Start by doing a fwd btfly in front of you..on the downswing stick your foot out, double wrap both poi on one foot. When they unwrap, wrap both poi on the opposite arm and unwrap. Looks pretty phat, can be repeated as necessary. (:CRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
sorry I didn't get here sooner, haven't had time to read all this yet, but if y'all left any out (and I'm sure you did) I'll let you know! Great Thread, mind bogleing, but great!Daniel "Wrap Master Funk"

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Oh where to begin...?wraps? (I prefer to call them recoils)1. any of the below can be modified to wrap only one poi and thus go into any weave from any butterfly and vise versa2. KicksA. front kick-kick out and wrap(recoil) while doing a wind mill to reverse direction of wind mill-during butterfly kick out and wrap both on one leg (recoil) alternating legs randomlyb. side kicks-from weave kick out with right leg and wrap both poi on this leg, one at knee and one on thigh.-regular forward swing, kick out and wrap (recoil) both poi on one legc. ever seen jumping jacks? spread your legs out fast while doing forward swing, wap right poi on right leg and left poi on leg leg at same time, then wrap from reverse spin, etc. (reciol)d. from a reverse butterfly raise lower leg behind you and wrap behind you on calf muscle to go into a forward butterfly.3. arm wrapsa. froward swing, wrap (recoil) off of opposite arm with poi immediatly followed by a wrap (recoil) on the same arm with the other poi, thn do sam on opposite side of body. This is realy cool looking from the side.b. during any butter fly or weave, wrap (recoil) on just one arm(or leg) at a time to move inbetween variouse butterflys and weavesduring weave (or whatever) wrap both on one arm, you can turn you body 180 during this to so as to keep doing the same weave.c. overhead (horizontal plane) butterfly- start doing a thread-the-needle. wrap (recoil) one of the poi on your arm and spin body 180 and wrap the same poi again an same arm to go back into the same butterfly, except your body will be faceing 180 from start.4. arm wraps (recoils) from a forward swing wrap poi on upper arm (both on one arm or both on different arms) or just one at a time.I know all these are simple, but the real cool part comes when you start putting these together...COMBOS!!! There are infinite possibilities...way to many to describe in one lifetime, much less one thread.Daniel Tyler"Wrap Master Funk"

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I heard someone (Pozee?) refer to this type of move for btb weaves, but I'v been doing it with other stuff...have a chain with a glow stick (or tennis ball) on both ends (preferably different colors) and wrap on a body part, let go, and catch the other end of the chain to keep twirling the same direction...and the poi change colors as you twirl...COOL!!!1. from regular forward spin -upper leg wrap (upper leg) [you can do both at once, or even do it when you jump up high and bring your knees up and out]2. From regular reverse spin -opposite arm wrap (upper arm)3. from forward butterfly -wrap on fore arm.4. Kneck wrap from a overhead butterfly- (watch out for your eyes!)These all keep the poi spinning the same dirrection, and if done fluidly the audience will not even be able to tell what you are doing...heh heh heh all they know is you poi keep changing color! They take lots of practice to perfect.I started doing them to other people last night, we even worked out a kung fu action sequence...he kept punching and kicking and I would do the color switch warp on his moves. Then I started catching both ends and tieing him up momentarily, continualy releasing one to catch another kick or punch...it took a while to coreograph it all and get the timing right, but it was realy fun.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Do you people have any idea how many types of comboes and moves there are? I have to do it...Combos!(these will all be recoil style wraps where the poi hits the body-part and reverses directions)Definition-chamber- bring kick or punch back to starting position (or almost all the way back to start)1. start from forward swing (same time swing), right leg side kick and wrap both on right leg, wrap both on right arm then left leg side kick double wrap and left arm double wrap....mix in some simmotaneouse single wraps (left poi left arm, right poi right arm, etc) to mix it up. Then start using split timing and spinning around doing side kick wraps, to front kick wraps, arms, forehead(just kidding...or am I...!?!?), and what ever else flow at the time. 2. this next one is my new favorite, it is realy wicked looking (so I hear, I haven't seen myself on tape yet) it goes something like this...start in clockwise windmill...front kick-right leg- double wrap on same leg...as you recoil twist body 90 degrees left as you bring leg back in and do a side kick single wrap with right poi on right leg (kicking in same original direction)...at the same time bring left poi to left side of body...bring right kick back in and do a right leg front kick in the opposite direction from original kick and wrap left poi on left leg while right stays on right side of body...then right leg side kick wrap in original direction again while doing an upper arm wrap with left poi on left arm and repeat the whole proccess... throwing in other stuff as you see fit.3. butterfly...right poi wraps on left arm, front kick double wrap on right leg (windmill style)...twist body 90 left, chamber kick and right leg side kick in original direction, wrap with right poi on right leg while left poi wraps on left upper arm...right leg front kick towards the opposite direction of original kick while left poi wraps on right leg and right poi wraps on right upper arm...immediatly side kick to original direction again and wrap right poi on right leg and left poi on left upper arm.By deleating one of these upper arm wraps you can switch to a double leg wrap (both poi on one leg.again...the possibilities are endless, this is just a sample.4. and everybodies favorite...butterfly wraps, alternating (one wrap at a time) between a forward and reverse butterfly but without any extra rotations inbetween, but have you tryed it overhead in the horizintal plane? then throw out a realy high front kick during the "corkscrew" portion for a wrap...then back to regular weave6. I also like to start in a butterfly and move in and out of the weaves and butterflys using kick wraps and other wraps. looks realy cool, and the audience never realy knows what direction you'll be spinning in next. It doesn't seem to hipnotize as much as regular twirling, but the "energy" payoff is much higher.and to answer a previousely stated question...YES...I sent in video footage of fire wraps(a few (100-200?) wraps in one minute!!!), with and without protective clothing...what is one small burn (or four)compared to international fame?!?!? Unfortunately the deadline change has allowed me to get so much better that I will be forced to send in a different video and possibly forfit the previouse entry, but that's life...P.S. how about a penis wrap? just kidding...but I used to call the simuetaneouse horse stance wrap from a forward swing the "nut recoil" cause it looks like you are hitting yourself in the nuts when you mess up, but it doesn't hurt cause the wicks hit farther back.

Coopermember
14 posts

Posted:
Forgive me if this one has already been posted! Have you seen the brakedancers grab there left foot with there right hand and jump through there own little hoop they have created.......Either in a forward weave or just plain forward circles, instead of grabbing your foot with your hands wrap your poi around it and jump through your little hoop when you land your poi is already spinning in the other direction!Watch out cause sometimes it will get caught up in your pants and you may trip over your self! Let me know how this goes for you!!!!!

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
hmmm, im not the biggest fan of wraps but here are a couple...Do a forward butterfly lift up a leg and throw it through your legs, bend the knee that is off the ground so it wraps around the back of your shin behind you. Bring it back out infront of you after it wraps and it should be reverse btf.Doing a 5-beat infront of you, throw a leg up and do a 5-beat under one leg, as you unwind it and have to move to the other side (dont bring it to the other side) bring the leg that is already lifted up and let it wrap around that ankle. Unwrap it split-time and continue to do a reverse 5-beat under the same leg and then pull it out. Seems like the cicle is under your leg forever.------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
WMF, yeah the combo things are pretty unlimited, i find that i am putting wraps together in different ways all the time. oh yeah that was me doing the glowstick switch. i do it on the arms and the neck really consistently and from BTB but on the leg i havent really tried, actually the few times i did were not very succesfull.the switch that i was trying to get the other day, and was actually doing pretty good at untill i tried again today was to swing the poi at your sides in regular forward circles and wrap them both around the bicep to switch the handles. i find it was easier if i held the original handles like they were pencils and then try to switch.all.i am done posting my wraps for now. there are so many different combinations that it would take forever to tell all. once youget the hang of doing most of the different wrap, you will start to see how one can go with another and another and so on. happy wrapping.

anyone got a light?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I'm trying to see if I can sort through all these wraps and come up with some sort of document...wish me luck. :PCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

audaxBRONZE Member
freelance bum
286 posts

Posted:
I never realised that there were so many wraps. I'd be into helping out making an extension to poi lessons on wraps.A couple of simple ones I do...Forward swing, on the downswing wrap both poi as close to your crotch as you dare. Now twirling backwards, wrap both poi same as above. Both of these can be done as a star jump or jumping jack.Forward swing... Lift one leg and swing the poi on the same side under that leg. Now you have one leg draped over your arm as it twirls. Then drop that arm to a crotch/thigh wrap and drop your leg. Now you are twirling in opposite directions on each side. Now wrap both poi under your thigh/crotch. I find lifting one leg helps this, you can turn it into a big side step for "dance around effect" Be careful as they can tangle and you don't want this to happen there!I find these very simple wraps, yet they seem very scary to the crowd as you are endangering your genitals.
Non-Https Image Link
I'm a big admirer of anyone who twirls a lot of imagination and creativity. Hope I can do even a fraction of all the other wraps described here.I really like the idea of double ended glowstick poi. Very nice!------------------Your parents were wrongFire is good Play with fire

UYI wink OLDSKOOL

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
just wanted to bump this.i am not sure if this is in there, i dont think it is. that whole handcuff wrap that everyone is talking about can also be done on the biceps, in front or behind...

anyone got a light?

wulffmember
79 posts

Posted:
well i didn't see this in here so i'll post it anyways (sorry if i missed it)I've gotten this a few times, but never w/ fire...someone is bound to get it though:doing the forward weave go to wrap both on your thigh, but let the right hand one go, with a bit of a push and catch it when it comes around. This should let you bring it into a regular butterfly in front of you.like i said, i've done it a few times so.. some1 nail it *laf*wulff

wulff

Dicemember
4 posts

Posted:
I just want to thank everyone that took the time out to describe in detail, because thanks to everyone I did the Butterfly wrap around my leg. coolDice--------------------You might think you know who we are. But we KNOW who you are!

--You might think you know who we are. But we KNOW who you are!

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... haven't been here in a while, and pleasantly surprised to see all the "wrapping" going on. I remember mentioning it a while back because it was starting to get popular in yo-yoing and at that point, wasn't that many people that were doing it.Seems like the majority of what has been posted is the recoil stuff, instead of the turning stuff. Makes sense since it is generally not too hard, changes direction, etc. However, I'm more experienced with the turning ones (since a yo-yo hitting your body would stop it dead).I'll see if I can come up with some descriptions of those. In the mean time, could always check out these videos (DivX encoded):https://www.yo-yo.org/yama@18/2001UTYJTOAA2ndKYOHIRKU2.avihttps://www.yo-yo.org/yama@18/UTYJnag2002kawasin.aviA couple of the tricks won't be possible since yo-yos retract and give an extra way for you to unwrap things without tangling, but most of the stuff should work fine. Neither of these guys are amazing showmen, but some of the tricks are interesting.ShawnP.S. These are not my videos. Thanks to Yama whose homepage is here: https://www.yo-yo.org/yama@18/

Page: