Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Definitive Listing of Wraps...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
In doing a search on wraps I found it difficult to sort through them all. Most of the post turned into conversations about one particular wrap or glow/fire arguements winkWhat I would love, as I am JUST starting to get into wraps myself, is a listing of:1) What wraps you wrappers do.2) How well they lend to glowsticks or fire.3) What moves go into and out of the wraps.I know that this is a big request, but if we ban together our information we only have to do this once. Then we can refer all wraps rookies (like myself) to this thread.Thanks guys...

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
alright here we go.now first i am going to assume that you know how to do a leg wrap or an arm wrap, and where you go into it at. if that is assuming too much than just let me know and i can break it down a little better. now do not forget that any single wrap can be thrown in with another wrap and can go on almost infinately.butterfly wraps:1) on the downswing of the BF stick a leg straight out and wrap both poi, then pull up on poi to unwrap. now into the rev bf.2)on the downswing of the bf, wrap right poi on left wrist, and left poi on right leg, into the rev bf.3)on the downswing wrap the right poi on the left wrist, when it recoils, wrap that poi on the right leg and at the same time wrap the left poi on the right arm, that will put you into a weave by turning 90degrees to the left.4)on the upswing of the poi, without moving your upper arm, bring both forearms back to wrap both poi on the biceps at the same time, then that will put you into a rev bf.(pretend you are fishing, and you are pulling back and forth on the fishing pole making th lure kind of surface and dive and that is the movement.)5)stand with your feet in a straight line(like you are walking a tightrop, with feet about a foot apart) now on the up swing you are going to do the motion of throwing the right poi to the opposite side(you will end up looking like you are just spinning 2 circles on opposite sides of the body going opposite directions) but instead of letting it go to the other side you will wrap the right poi on the right leg from the outside of the hip and the left poi on the left leg from the inside of the hip. then bring the left poi to the right side and you are again doing the normal BF.okay those are a few of the BF wraps, brain hurts now so i will let everyone else post and then post some more later.

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
by the way, any wrap you can do with glowsticks you can do with fire as long as you have the right protective clothing in place ie. your entire body to include the neck, and your hair!

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ugg - this is gonna get crazy smileok some simpler ones;- when doing simple fwd side circles, cross your right poi on the downswing, and wrap the left bicep, turn left 90 degs into butterfly.-when doing simple side circles, as the right poi passes your leg cross BTB to wrap the left bicep. I guess you could pretty easily go into a BTB butterfly from there...hmm have to try that smile-from BTB buttterfly (coming in at the bottom direction) wrap the shin by sticking your lower leg out behind you, but keep your upper leg straight (bend your knee) on the downstroke.-while doing alternating sider circles, go BTL with one of em and then up and wrap a bicep, on the reversal just take it out the way it went in, or move your leg around to get jiggy wid it smileWraps are crazy. the more you do them, and combo them, the more crazy ones you can think of...pozee and myst opened my eyes to the amount of creativity which is possible with wraps.This is just the beginning...oh - and almost all wraps can be done with fire, its just a matter of either having appropriate safety gear or doing em real quick (or both). And of course, having em down super pat before trying em on fire.Josh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Keep em coming boyz! I knew this could get nuts but even the two posts above have kicked up my style a notch. (I'm gonna wait a day or two, print this out and tape it to my wall... gotta have a goal right?) More, more, more! smile

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
holy sh1t, i didnt realize how hard it was going to be to actually spell them all out. but you are right, do it once the right way and we can refer back to it.one handed butterfly wraps assuming that you are right handed:1)on the up swing you stick your left arm straight out and wrap the poi around your arm, you can do this forever if you get it right, make sure that your right fist is pointing at the cieling when they wrap, this will give them room to move freely without touching. actually this works for every wrap, as long as you wrist is pointed at the point of the wrap.2)on the down swing wrap them both on the leg3)in between the up and down swing if you change your wrist movement from up and down to side to side real quick you can do a split time leg wrap on the left leg is easier.4) stick your left arm straight out behind you, and on the downswing of the poi bring them over your head to wrap on the left arm.5)on the up swing wrap the poi on the neck.when you get them down pat, you can do all of these in perfect sequence without missing a beat.weave and windmill/corkscrew wraps will have to wait for a little while, at least another hour before i can pick up the pieces of my exploding head.

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
here we go again. now for some windmill/corkscrew wraps:1)doing the windmill, instead of bringing your right hand over your head again, wrap it on the left arm and that puts you into the rev BF.2)doing the windmill, instead of throwing the right hand behind the head, bring both poi to swing at the same time and wrap on the right leg inside of the thigh, that will put you into rev windmill or you can turn either direction to do a weave.3)doing the windmill, bring both poi to a same time swing again and wrap the right poi on the right arm and the left poi on the right leg.4)again bring the poi to a same time swing in front and wrap them both on the neck(wrapping from the right side of the head to the left.)corkscrew:1)corkscrew, when they get down by the leg either wrap them on one leg or one on each leg.2)corkscrew, when the right poi comes up, wrap that one around the neck and the left one either around the leg or do not wrap at all to go to a BFokay, weaves will be later and sooooo many.

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
- mm from corkscrew you can bring one down and wrap the lower leg (raise one leg as if to do your laces up on a chair or somethin) to switch to a mexi-wave. do the same thing from a mexi wave with the other poi and you got a cork screw reversal smile- of course, dont forget the horse stance (traditional martial arts - wide stance, with bent knees square shoulders and hips) wraps, fwd rvs, and alternating is the best I think. you can either wrap the poi on the same side as the hand they are hanging from, or you can wrap the both on the same leg...the latter is harder, but I think more effective. You can also do it fwb lunge, wrap both, swap legs wrap both (from butterfly).poz is the wrap master, aside from these, I think he will cover all the weave ones I know (plus more).Myst also has some interesting ones (yeah this is a callout bro smile).And I'm working on a lot of BTL stuff...if it can be done easily from a normal start, it can probly be done with a leg hanging over it smile - but this is getting theoretical for me. so far I'm only talking about wraps I can do.You can combo wrap too...ie do one like fwd BTB cross bicep and thigh wrap with the other at the same time...Josh[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 09 October 2001).]

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey wrap master funk, you out there? i know i will probably forget a couple. myst, better post before i start tellin them the ones you do.haha j/k1)okay just a quick one from the weave. okay a little tricky but cool. when the right poi comes to the right side, wrap that one around your neck and bring the left poi to the left side at the same time and wrap that one around your left leg at the same time. that takes you into the rev weave.

anyone got a light?

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
"Mimicry is the best flattery"Cheers guys, but don't forget to post on my staff threads that are asking for simlar things...(hides his staffs behind hi sback in this obviously poi-related thread... smile)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
7-beat weave wrap. Just keep tryin to do the 7-beat and you'll wrap it around your hand the first couple attempts see if you can bring your arm up further when it does that to wrap around your bicip as you turn out of it.TTN wraps. Pretty easy wrap on bicip durning the inside beat.Single chain wraps. Hold one chain in a normal circle in front of you and bounce the other one around. (forearm outside ankle inside thigh. whatever you can think of. Make sure you learn how to hold the circle with both arms.Dunno if I saw this one up there or not but it's a TTN wrap on your wrists. You gotta move your arms up and kinda catch the chains around them. Each cahin only does one circle befor wrapping again. Careful with this one. When I first did it with fire I tranced out watching it and kept doing it way to many times. Ended up getting my first 3rd degree burn. It also converts well into waist and ankle wraps while in the horse stance. This move is prolly the most creative everytime I do it, it always has a different pattern.Double wrist wraps while doing the Bf pull it apart abit and lurch your arms forward into the chains so they both wrap around your wrists at the same time. I'm also working on doing it behind my back and flowing out of it just befor they make contact.Double inside thigh wraps. Throw em under your leg and do some munivering to have them stay back there and wrap on the oppisite leg befor pulling them back out.I tried your double weave bicip wrap with fire the other night and thought it would move fast enough but ended up singing my hair. I haven't learned any neck wraps and prolly never will. Does anyone else have a sperate set of chains for wraps?------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
hey knagi, i used to use much longer chains when i was just doing my poi and then switched to the shorter ones when i do my wraps, but now i just stay with the shorter ones.behind the back split time butterfly wrap theright poi on the right arem and the left poi on the left leg. and then for some reason it is easy to go into the BTB weave from that.??

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
weaves.1)doing the weave, when your right poi gets to the right side it will wrap on the top of the left arm, do it twice once from above the arm and once from below and you will go back to the weave.2)weaving, when the right poi gets to the right side swin the left and right poi in sync and wrap both under the right arm at the same time.3)doing the weave, the right hand will come over to the right side and wrap under the left arm and the left poi will go to the left side and wrap under the left arm.4)doin the crossover i think it is called, leave your arms crossed and keep spinning them on your sides, bring your right poi over to wrap on your left wrist and after that, just stick your right arm into the circle of the left arm and it will do a bicep wrap.okay everyone, i get to go home now, so i will see how many more are posted tomorrow. help me out already...

anyone got a light?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Here's one that is courtesy of my best friend Sativa420, she taught me it. It's the damn coolest wrap combo I've seen yet. (always gets cheers when done very quickly) If you attempt this with fire, protective gear is highly recommended *evil grin*Start by doing a betterfly in front of you, wrap right poi on left tricept. Meanwhile left poi does circle in front while right poi unwraps. Immediately wrap left poi on right arm sticks out and does a circle in front while the left unwraps. Continue to repeat. smile It looks like two circles with spirals inside of them. phatCRD[This message has been edited by CrazyRaverDude (edited 09 October 2001).]

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
What's a wrap?"Myst"

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
It's like a burrito for people who don't like ethnic food. winkProzee and Josh, I REALLY appreciate this... You are single handedly changing my poi life with this post. Keep em coming!

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I just want to say that you don't have to wear clothes fro head to toe to do fire wraps....I think they feel much nicer on bare flesh. AND...the more wicks you have up your chain the wilder the wrap looks...ie: when I wrap my five wick chain around my waist it looks as if my whole waist is a ring of fire.Oh, and Knagi...you can use whateer chains you please to do wraps, no chane over needed.I think Josh and Pozee are doing an amazing job so I will just back out humbly now...except to point out at most of these can be adapted for staff too, with a bit of practice.------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...https://www.pyromorph.com

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
VERY GOOD THREAD GUYSthis page is being printed out..------------------"When a Man Lies He Murders Some Part of the World These Are the PaleDeaths Which Men Miscall Their Lives All this I Cannot Bear to Witness Any Longer Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation Take Me Home"

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
pele, i have to agree and disagree with the statement about not needing clothes. i do see the point that if you have good kevlar wicks, or any wicks for that matter, that are not surrounded by metal, it would not be bad to do it on bare skin. on the other hand, i think it all depends on what hardware you use. my wicks have metal wire cages all around them, and if i wrapped on bare skin, i would have a nice small flesh wound like the X i am currently sporting on my bicep. so i guess it all boils down to what you are using, and if you do to a quick tap on a certain body part and it is going to leave a metal burn then it is best to be covered. of course i do like the way that the burns look sometimes. i will get back into wrap mode in a little while. gotta look over which ones i already posted.

anyone got a light?

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
2 more one hand BF wraps1)at the height of the arc, bring your arm back like you are trying to touch your cheek and let them wrap on the downswing on the very same arm that you are holding them in.2)same as #1 except that you bring your arm in like you are going to punch yourself in the kidney and wrap it from underneath.BTB weave wraps, assuming that you always go into it from the rev. weave like myself.1)doing the BTB weave, when the right hand does its second revolution and the left hand comes over to the left side, you can wrap the right poi on the left arm from underneath by the armpit. do it twice and you go into the BTB weave again.2)same as #1, except when you do the first wrap on the left arm, your left poi will wrap at the same time on the left leg, into the other weave.(the one that starts from the regular forward weave.)okay, all of these wraps can be reversed obviously to the other side of the body so i will not wast time describing them. and like i said, you can combine almost and infinite number of wraps from in front of you to behind you. if anyone wants me to list any certain combinations of wraps that they want to know or to see my favorites, then just let me know and i will endulge further.MYST you bastard, no wait, you LAZY bastard. my hands hurt. waaaaaaaaa

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
ok wrap turns.I'm only just getting into this, and I'm sure there will be other ppl out there that can do these better than me anyhow, I find longer chains make these easier;-While spinning forwards, wrap both poi on your upper arms, and as soon as they start to come up behind your back, rapidly twist at the waist, and let em unwind on the opposite side (and in the same direction). The poi head should never come into contact with your skin. The poi rotational velocity will *rapidly* increase, as they wrap, so you gotta go quick, or use LONG chains.At the moment, I can only do these consistently on one arm, in alternating directions (split butterfly style), but I have seen ppl do them reasonably well in time on both arms.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
erm I discovered this one by accident.do a b/h head butterfly, and then do a standard in front, then bo BTL (I find it easier to do if it's all in one beat each) then wrap on the backs of the thighs as you pull the butterfly out from BTL. This is actually a LOT easier to do - as the only hard bit in there, the entry to BTL butterfly is MUCH easier than the exit of the BTL butterfly.theoretically (read: I've thought of it, but never seen it done smile), you could do butterfly wraps while between your legs, or step back and wrap one and come out into a weave. (BTL weave exit is easier than BTL butterfly exit IMHO).I find that BTL Butterfly, is less than impossible if you use short chains. Hence the importance of knowing how to alter your length on the fly smileI'm hanging out to see someone else pull off a clean BTL butterfly...in fact, I'm not sure I've heard of it being done before? anyone submitting this move (as part of their vid) in the comp?ahhh there is much cool stuff to be done BTL winkJosh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
oh yeah i almost forgot one of my favorite quick wraps. it is kind of like the alternating BF wrap that CRD talked about, except that it is from the weave.doing the weave, when the right arm comes to the right side, wrap the left arm and then when it unwraps, very quickly throw your right arm out and bring the left arm in to wrap on the right arm, then you go into the rev. weave, i like to turn a couple times going back to the reg. weave and do the wrap again and again in a complete circle.

anyone got a light?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
poz,Yeah, I was experimenting with the alternate version of the wrap I described(weave wrap) alooks pretty phat, but doesnt produce the same eye appear (unless you are turned sideways) :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
CRD,I really like that wrap, but I like doing two on one side, and then two on the other (with an on the side style b.fly)...I find that the first two wraps of that wrap happen slower than the second two - so I only like doing two of the four, to keep the pace even. It also means Im not just standing there doing it in front (I try as much as possible to move / bounce / stalk around while twirling smile)Josh

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
okay, here is another wrap that i picked up lastnight. 1)from the BF(reg 2 handed) on the upswing move your right arm to your right, like you are going to do a revolution behind the back, and when it comes to the top of its arc, wrap it on the right bicep, and at the same time bring the left poi to the right side as well and wrap on the downswing on the right ankle(kind of bring your leg up like you are trying to kick yourself in the butt, except not quite that high) that will take you into the rev butterfly. from the rev BF you can do the same thing on the left side to go back into the reg BF2)one handed BF, on the downswing stick it between the legs so the poi comes up at your back and stick out your left arm and wrap the poi on the upswing on that arm, and then when they get to the bottom of the arc bring them back in front of you.another thing about wraps is that you can change almost any appendage and replace it with another body part. such as the first one i mentioned in this post, the right arm could be replaced with the neck. again infinite possibilities. next up will be some of my favorite combos, but it will take too long to break them down so i will just say what they are, ie 1hand BF BTL left arm wrapwould be the second one i posted in this reply.

anyone got a light?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
um - I do one similar to Pozee's last one..BTH BF -> 1/2 Giant BF -> BTB BF, with a double BTB wrap on the lower leg. did I say this one already?I tried to show Nomad at BM, but couldnt get it to happen. I'm still having a few problems with the disengagement of the actual wrap, but its not very dangerous as you can step straight out of a tangle.

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
i have just a quick question for whoever is reading all of these posts. am i putting it in an understandable format? can you visualize what i am trying to get at, or do i need practice at explaining things?

anyone got a light?

GaBBeRave19member
72 posts

Posted:
my favorites-butterfly neckwrap-starjump >>> armwrap (looks better spinning opposite)-helicoptor >>> bodywrap >>> neckwrap >>> hellicoptor (better with weedwackerz inbetween)anybody else throw in stalls with their glowstick wraps? like instead of recoiling some wraps just stall it to break the trance of everybody staring at u in the club. -foreward swinging left armstall right shinstall-foreward right hand bhb for both left arm stallwraps and stalls are endless

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
Hi,, can you explain how do do a leg wrap... do you always have to lift your leg a little.. or can you do it without taking them off the ground,,

We are defined by the choices we make

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
It is easier to learn by doing just one wrap, on one leg..and yes, lift it to start with.you dont have to - once you get comfy with them, but they are less likely to tangle if youy chain comes in at an angle perpendicular to the thing you want it to wrap on.Josh

Page: