Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Double staff moves and inspiration

Login/Join to Participate

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I met a guy at Monday juggling last week who has inspired me to get more into long double-staffs. grinHe had like 2 dozen visually different tricks (stuff the audience will notice), including neck and body rolls, and some magical type contact moves! blushAdmittedly, I haven't really tried much with doubles except spinning around and doing FIGURE-8'S in each hand, but now I'm rapidly going into newer moves and trying to learn some double throws (that are nearly killing me).FlashFire - You've got a lot of double staff moves...Could you or anyone else give me even more inspiration?(and yes, I did search for this topic, feeling certain I would find it, but it didn't show up...)------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
I did some double staff over the weekend. After along time of just revseing back and fourth to keep them moving. I managed a btb type thing where basicly the staffs move from in front of you to behind alternaly. It's prolly a simple move but it's the only one I got so far :P------------------We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonMost Memerable crowd saying "Hey look that dude's gonna set himself on fire again!"

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Are your shoulders sore? I find after only 10 minutes of doubles my shoulders hurt for a while...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I don't actually have a lot of doubles moves and the things I have learned have taken much time and practise...As I've said before, i find it exeptionally difficult to articulate my moves, not only because I'm more "feeling" oriented than technical, but also because I have a whole bucket full of moves that I don't even know about - they just come out of nowhere when I'm in the midst of a burn.Many of the poi moves can be transferred over to double staves - windmill, corkscrew, 3beat weave, chasing the sun. of course it's going to be a different sensation than when using poi, but the rotations around the body are the same.Just about every move that is available with the double staves can be done in forwards, reverse and alternating between these two with each hand (ie one going forward, the other going reverse).One of the really important things to remember about doubles is the difference that a single move can make when done at a different level around the body. Explore all the bases - feet, torso, above head, extended out to the side.My shoulders are quite large - just ask anyone who's seen them. However, i still rarely last the entire length of a burn. Doubles require a lot of stamina - the drag of 4 balls of fire is surprising.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Knagimember
397 posts

Posted:
Yeah I'm sure you can get sore real fast from doubles. I had no problems with it till I started auctually doin a move. I agree with flash I think big shoulders is a must for double staffs. I was useing a 5 pounder in my right hand and one of the staffs off of this website in the other. As for the stiamna thing. I never really noticed. I was in the heat of a hardcore spin session that lasted from sundown friday till sun-up sunday. Walkin around the campground only rarely stopping swinging to eat. I never even took the time to sleep grin

We are all in the cosmic movie. That means the day you die you watch your whole life repeating for eternity. So you'd better have some good things happen in there and have a fitting climax. --Jim MorrisonIt's going to come from a direction you didn't predict at a moment of chaos which you didn't see coming. -- NYC

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
My doublestaff is coming along very nicely now, did more doubles practice than singles last night at Firenight.Yes it is really tiring, but I can now do a full burn with each staff and then put on a burst of speed at the end to put them out at the same time (mostly anyway).Doubles is sooo much fun, but I still like some of the POWER moves I can pull off with singles.And Flash, now I know exactly what you mean when you say the best moves just 'happen' with doubles, although I am beginning to consciously controll some of the more basic simple ones...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I think doubles is much more technical than single staff...cuz of the combination of tricks you can do on each hand...ugh - tis gonna be a nightmare to describe em smileJosh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Tsk tsk josh (Charles waggles his finger at you wink)Of course it will be hard if we all think like that. It 'should' become much easier if we can use some of the terms in the thread...Naming Staff Moves IIAnd it looks like some of this is already slowly trickling in as in this piece from another thread..."One I have seen done, and have almost got myself - is while doing double figure eights in opposite directions, throwing one, pass the other over the top of the head, catch the other and keep going.I've almost got this one, and this dude named Dan that I always see at Rainbow Serpent Festival has it down pat...Josh" grin It seemed pretty articulate to me, and worked well by describing alternating FIGURE8's instead of going into all the hand/arm/shoulder movements. The guy who wrote that post must be a genius at articulating doubel staff moves grin tongue grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
tongue[This message has been edited by [Josh] (edited 11 October 2001).]

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I just spent ages writing a response to this and then the power went off .....so if I've replied twice to this that'll be why!anyhoo...I've been doing double staff for a while now and i find it a lot more rewarding than single.I'm currently working on a kind of fingerspin on each hand, that moves across onto the back of my hands and becomes a flat spin (if that makes any sense? confused )Everything I do is very simple to perform but looks flashy. This is because none of my mates can do double staff and I like to feel superior (it's one of my few vices)I'm also working, right now, on what can only be described as double alternating corkscrew that becomes a palm spin at the top. I'm finding this very tricky tho, as my left hand has a tendency to forget what it's doing during this one...... shocked------------------C@ntus[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 12 October 2001).]

Meh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Lol cantus, I have exactly the same problem with the same move. Do you find that you end up burning the back of your head, with the same tip of the same staff every time? I do smileJosh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Cantus, now that you have seen the "Naming staff moves II" thread, could you explain the"...I'm currently working on a kind of fingerspin on each hand, that moves across onto the back of my hands and becomes a flat spin (if that makes any sense? :confused..." Just talking about staff movements (not hand or wrist yet) do you mean you start off doing ROTORS in each hand. Then, when you do a HANDROLL you change them into HELICOPTERS?This is what I intepret it to mean...As far as a DOUBLE/ALTERNATING CORKSCREW, I think i better ask for its description, as you both seem to know what it is but I haven't listed it yet grin------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Inspiration? I'd suggest trying out flags. Flags will tangle up on the same moves that don't work for double staves (I think).If you can do something with the flag, you can do it with the two staffs. Plus, I think that flags are easier to learn (more natural) than two staves are.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Charles, no. I mean ROTOR THUMBSPINS/FINGERSPINS that turn into PALMSPINS on the backs of my hands. Similar to what you have called a HANDWRAP....but not much winkI'm still trying to work out where they go after that...When I say CORKSCREW i mean as in the corkscrew move that is demonstrated in Woody's single staff lessons on this very site. I find that you need to alternate them (or at the very least stagger them) to avoid the enevitable clashing that would occur otherwise. shockedI hope this has made it clearer (?) &Josh, no. I haven't dared light up to do this one yet as it keeps on going wrong tongue------------------C@ntus[This message has been edited by Cantus (edited 12 October 2001).]

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
~Kaching~! Now I understand, Cantus. I predominately use long staffs, 1.4m or bigger, and so was not thinking that that move was possible with double staffs (it probably is possible with long, but i haven't attempted it).Maybe an extra dimension to our descriptions could include whether we are using staffs (long) or staves (short, more like devil sticks).Dunno, just musing about it...------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
All of my staffs are 1m long. No, I tell a lie, my glostaff is 1.15m. I tried using a smallerstaff at Headcharge the other week, but i found it too light and it kept flying off and hitting the proles. Which is no good.... frown------------------C@ntus

Meh

o-omember
78 posts

Posted:
hello,i use two 1.25 m staves and am about 1.85 tall. i can just fit the 'corkscrew' which i don't know how to explain in helispeak, but it is with quite a bend - turning while doing this looks quite good, but i haven't yet isolated doing a flat palmspin in any of the positions. with one short staff this is easy and fun but my bod don'like this two staffs bit. TIRED!other than this i feel very much in agreement with flash fire - i have adapted poi moves like chasing the sun and mexiwave thing but have difficulties with butterfly type stuff, keep wacking wicks.the other thing is, use less wicking than you would for a single staff! i went all hero like and made my doubles more fiery coz they were slower. HAHAHAHA. i burn myself EVERY time i light them.working on throws but, since i am jackie chan only in dreams, i cannot do this and always find myself covering my head when i lose one or both in midflight smileanyone else?o-othe

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
o-owhy do you do stuff lit when you know you're gonna mess it up? Why not keep practising it unlit until to can do it without even thinking about it. Then try it lit? Just curious. I'm not having a go or anything.Charlesregarding inspirationhave you seen dangerboy's video on this site? https://64.87.7.217/displayreal.php?real=dbstaff2.ram
It'll either inspire you or make you put the staffs carefully away and forget about them. Either way he does some amazing stuff.... shocked------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Haven't seen Dangerboys vid yet, can't play the .ram thing as yet, either at home or at work, and keep meaning to sort it out...Although I get the feeling I'll be inspired, I've seen two gouys do things I would have deemd "impossible" with doubles, and is one of the reasons for this thread.I tried the corkscrew thing this weekend and manged a couple of ugly, unco-ordinated reps before catching my staffs on my t-shirt.That's the most tiring double staff move I've attempted so far! (and I only did for a few seconds) wink------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
I usually take my t-shirt off to practise. And, considering I live in England and it's getting towards winter now, I hardly notice the cold after just a few minutes of spinning.I've put that corkscrew on the backburner for a while. It's v tricky.The one that kills me is crossing my arms and doing forwards figure 8's on the opposite sides of my body from where they should be (is that clear enough?)I can really feel that in my delts.I've been doing figure 8's one above the other in front of my body as well. Lots of tips clashing in that one. Needs more work methinks...------------------C@ntus

Meh

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I don't feel so bad with all of my clashes now...Cantus. Especially if my staff are another 3rd again as long as yours.Also agree completely with the comments on staves (what I call the little tiny staffs). They are far too light for my current style, and need constant monitoring and thought to get them moving smoothly and at a reasonable speed. I'm actually better with doubles that i am with a SINGLE stave!------------------Charles (INFERNO)newdolbel@hotmail.comhttps://juggling.co.nz

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yo peepsjust picked up the double staff yesterday, good fun and ohsogood for thoes shoulders.Do you know the move that is like a figure eight at the side of the body but you give it and extra half turn so that the bottom end of the staff comes up infront of you (kinda shaolin stuff I think), not too clear I know but you can do this move real nice with double staffs.Im also working on throwing and catchind behind the back and once thats nailed I recon it should bge nearly inpossable to pass both staffs around the boddy at the same time.simultainious throws? hummmmmmmmmmmanother thing is rolling the staff (at ninety degrees to the body and spinning forwards) under the armpit and over the shoulder. got to get this running simultainiously with both staffs. quite as danger of head clonkage or shoulder burning so watch out. Love this passing over the head idea, gotta try it.gonna run, nice to see the staffers getting onnit!love, ?