Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Advice on learning the Reverse 5B

Login/Join to Participate

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Hmm... got down my forward 5B and now it feels natural, amazing how (for lack of a better word lol) *goofY* it feels when you first get it, and then it becomes fluid after time. And i finally got my reverse 3btb, so i'm happy (but bruised). Now I want to learn how to do the reverse 5B... It seems REALLY scary. Whilst learning the frontward 5B it's not that bad, you just get a thump in the leg (or crotch if you use short strings). But just trying to learn the reverse 5B seems deadly, since if you mis-time your crossover, you get hit in the head... frown REALLY SCARYNE ideas?i'm thinking of wearing like a football helmet or a full face mask... just got nailed in the left eye today by a glowstick while practicing my btb stuff, and the pain is still fresh. Help?

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

phunkyold hand
877 posts

Posted:
I remember the pain of learning the rev 5beat. I dunno, i think pain is an incentive for not screwing up smile------------------[]Dhuong-Vu Truong==== []Dhunky ====

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
All I can say is be ready to duck smileAlso, you might want to try it with two short stick until you get the hang of it a bit more, that way it doesnt really matter if you mess up.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
I've been pummeling myself for a while trying to learn this. You know how with some moves, something clicks and it becomes easy very quickly? Hasn't happened. Right now I'm at the point where I can get through about 2 complete (but very sloppy) reps before it gets so ugly that I mess up.One thing I've realized is that there are three distinct spots where you can work in the extra rotation: at the wrists, at the hands, or in the equipment. I've been playing around with all three, and I've been having the best luck when I have the extra rotation taken up by the equipment. But play around with it--YMMV.Others have suggested closing your eyes when you try to learn a new move. I've been doing that too, and it seems to be helping. Haven't clocked myself *too* badly yet.At my current level of progress, I kind of need to assist the unwinding process--not exactly forcing it, but not letting it happen on autopilot either. Perhaps as I get better this will go away.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
yep, this is a major that has just been a complete bastard for me' once i get it i can do 5bt fountains and stuff... ahbut the problem i really have is, yes, fear of being hit in the face. I really think thats a big part - the time you get to bring your hands across is so much less, because you dont really care about getting the poi 5cm from your legs, but you DO care about the poi getting 5cm from your face.and also my wrists dont bend as fat this way... theres also a sort of outward swinging with the fwd 5bt that i cant get the with rvs.I think a helmet would actually be a useful idea, as you would be able to get some proper practice in without all the frustration.

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

MadGirlBettymember
13 posts

Posted:
Has anyone else felt that "deadly poi flying at my head" feeling trying to learn above the head movements? How can I protect myself? Any tips?

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
off to take the ol paintball mask out of retirement ^_^

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Malcom,obviously you have experience in the woes of your beaming poi, and a friend of mine who is very experienced has been in a similar situation. My question is with this knowledge, isnt there anything u can do to make this US$45 piece of equipment less like a cricket ball?

Fire Princessmember
130 posts

Posted:
Just a note from everyone's mother...If you do use a motorbike helmet etc. please make sure it's an old one that's not in use anymore. The reason I say this is that these helmets, once they have been hit hard/been in an accident should be THROWN AWAY - even if they don't look damaged. The reason is as follows:-helmets have got foamy stuff under the shell-when you get hit hard on the head (by a beaming poi grin) the foam underneath absorbs the impact by compressing-the shell may or may not ping back into shape without you noticing - leaving the compressed foam underneath - although the helmet may look perfectly fine-now, if you hit yourself in the same place again, the foam won't be able to protect you - shockwaves travel through the skull into the cerebrospinal fluid and the brain and can possibly kill you.Nice.While I'm aware thet it's not too likely to kill yourself with a couple of bops on the head from poi, bashing the helmet and then getting into a road traffic accident COULD kill you (or the owner of the helmet).Sorry to be so morbid. So, don't talk to strangers, look both ways when crossing the road and stop pulling that face or the wind'll change and it will stay that way... and everybody lives happily ever after winkFP xxPS: A big woolly hat works for me![This message has been edited by Fire Princess (edited 24 September 2001).]

Blackbirdmember
337 posts

Posted:
that reminds me... beaming poi... all very well and good but couldnt you get those new truecolour rgb LED's and make rav'n-like beaming poi? They would rock... I'm sure people would shell out the extra cost for full spectrum ribbons that run off AA batteries. The electronics wouldnt be difficult... not simple, but well within your capabilities I'm sure...the truecolour LED's are like £5 a shot though, because of the blue component frownoh and for the rvs 5 beat you have to tilt your wrists a bit... this happens automatically when you do the forward 5bt and unravel your wrists. I have got it perfect on one side, but still a bit of practice for the full 5bt smile

x X x ß £ Å Ĉ К ß î я Ð x X x

ksquaredSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
I have found for learning the foward and reverse 5bt shortening the poi helped. Yes this made it a bit faster but also more controllable and less scary.

Remember what the dormouse said:

thombreGOLD Member
74 posts

Posted:
The way I learnt five beat without smacking myself in the head was to stand almost sideways to the poi, so that if i'm bringing them to my left then my left shoulder is sticking forward. I find it helps give you that bit of extra angle to move your wrists. Then again, I've been doing the move for about a year now and it still looks ugly frown I mainly only use it in turns or for getting out of a tight spot, so I wouldn't get too hung up if it still evades you.

Buy gerbils cos you can't spin with hamsters

poinoobSILVER Member
45 posts

Posted:
i know this may not be the best thing to do but i have likeone or two beer when i am trying to nail anew trick that scares me it take away from the nervous ness about getting hit which can make you hit your self thats how i got the reverse 5bt. my fountains are stil a lil bit slopier than what i am happy with

verakochanewbie
1 post

Posted:
no-no-no wink The best way is to drink a bottle of Vodka before, then everything goes right %)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Right into your eye?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
To avoid face/poi contact, try raising your hands up to shoulder height. Which has the double advantage of making the contortion much easier when you're learning and removing your head from the path of the poi head.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Unless you are doing it forwards. When other... sensitive bits move into the danger zone.

But I was thinking of it when drunk. Most will not think of raising it to head height. (Which is what I did too.)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SilentShaddowBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Personally, I use some ski socks with vaious weights inside depending, usually more ski socks. They just bounce off my face and dont hurt at all. :P

Lau_Shadow_BoxerSILVER Member
~ Cup Cakes and Faerie Lights ~
110 posts
Location: Portsmouth, Uk / Kowloon, Hong Kong / Auckland, Ne...

Posted:
yea, 'bash friendly' poi make it easier - and remember in both forward and reverse 5bt, the timing of the crossover is very important. so practice, practice, practice weavesmiley

"They say it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile; thus smiling is for pansies" - The Short Gorilla

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Ace Rimmer

jeangenieGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
what helped me... to learn rev 5bw, start from a rev3bw, learn wrist wraps on both sides, then faze out the beats in between the wraps => 5bts, then instead of wrapping the poi around your wrists, twist your wrists. 5bw's are the same movement as wrist wraps, but instead of wrapping poi, you're kinda wrapping wrists. Good luck! smile

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
I hate to say it but I initialy had difficulty learning this one untill I tried turning into it from a fwb 5bt and then it just seemed to flow naturally.

It still took ages to get it spot on but that was just a matter of practice.

Oh and BTW geting hit in the head (or the nuts) is just part of learning poi.
As a wise HoPper once told me
"If you haven't hit yourself in the nuts for a while then your not learning anything"

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Alternatively you're female.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Kitveteran
1,269 posts

Posted:
lol...

this one stil evades me. not spinning for months on end i find does not help..

theres a tip there...

random murbles

BELTANE FIRE FESTIVAL. 30th april ~ Calton hill - Edinburgh
SAMHUINN FESTIVAL. 31st October ~ Royal Mile - Edinburgh